Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Do I need to seal MDF panels before mounting canvas paper?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leolo

hi, I would like to ask you guys if I need to seal (with GAC100) my MDF panels before mounting a canvas paper painting on them

I know that in order to prevent SID, humidity etc when you paint on top of panels you need to seal before applying gesso but when you are just mounting canvas papers in MDF panels do they need to be sealed before or can I put the gel medium/glue and the paper straight away?

Regards

My website: www.guillermomejias.com

Guide

I use GAC100 before I mount paper. SID is still an issue when using mdf and the sealer should help prevent that issue.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Leolo

I use GAC100 before I mount paper. SID is still an issue when using mdf and the sealer should help prevent that issue.

btw, your youtube channel rocks!

My website: www.guillermomejias.com

Mike L

I have no idea what SID is or stands for, but as an experienced wood worker I can say that MDF is extremely porous and will suck moisture out of acrylic paint like a sponge if it isn’t primed/sealed first. A good quality acrylic based wood primer is what I use.

R/Mike

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Old_hobbyest

I use shellac.

Davkin

SID = Support Induced Discoloration. Personally I’ve never witnessed such a thing. I almost never sealed my MDF panels when I was making my own, never saw any ill effects from it and some of my paintings on those supports are over 5 years old.

David

My free-of-charge sciencey opinion. Worth every penny paid for it.

From reading, applications of paint take longer to dry and are more likely to get SID. This could be heavy applications or in places where it gets really humid.

I wouldn’t use GAC because it’s basically acrylic and is therefore somewhat susceptible to the problem. The acrylic film remains permeable because it doesn’t really polymerize like an oil film. The acrylic binder is already polymerized and suspended (not dissolved) in the water. As the water evaporates, the teensy little acrylic particles do link together, but there are teensy gaps big enough to pass water molecules.

That’s why acrylic is water resistant, as opposed to water proof.

Shellac is a solution of bug exoskeletons dissolved in alcohol. As the solvent evaporates a more impermeable film forms. Oil based primer sealers (OK for latex so assumed by me to be OK for gesso) form an even more impermiable layer as the oil polymerizes with exposure to oxygen.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

Davkin

I do live in a dry environment, maybe that’s why I’ve never witnessed SID. A couple years ago I stopped making my own supports, I don’t have the equipment to do a professional quality job of it and I don’t care to spend all that time and mess making them. The homemade panels were an inexpensive support to learn on though.

David

There is the time and mess factor for sure.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • The topic ‘Do I need to seal MDF panels before mounting canvas paper?’ is closed to new replies.