WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#271   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Basics 101: Class 6 - Drawing Conical Objects

Before asking, I tried to search on the forum, however, even if the paper is the subject discussed and I have to read on the subject many other posts still as I also used here XL Canson A4 Chunky Spiral Sketchpad (lightly grained, 90gsm cartridge paper) I wanted to ask if
*it is better to move to a better card to try to learn shading, at least for class 8 but also for drawings, draw with shading, sketch apart.

For sketches I already have many sheets, so I ask to actually take better paper, smooth or in any case suitable for use. 250 sheet 90gsm a3 and a5 carson, another Sketch pad 50 g / mq so I would like better paper than this pencil drawing and characoal.
I have no idea on which apart from the weight,> = 200 g / sqm
Based on the availability in Italy and I would choose one of these or anyway 1 present on amazon italy maybe

Strathmore 342-109 300 Series Bristol Vellum Pad, 9 "x12" Tape Bound, 20 Sheets 17 € (is actually the best?)
*PIGNA 0220022sg Block 4 Corners, Smooth paper 24 x 33 cm square, 20 Sheets,
g. 220 FSC certified, € 5.
Canson 90041/100500450 Design X4, Smooth, 24X33 cm, 200 G / sqm, 20 sheets
Euro 4.54 cent
Canson Imagine Art paper pad 50sheets - art paper (Art paper pad, 50 sheets, 200 g / m˛, 21 cm, 29.7 cm) 8.50.

For sketches I already have many sheets, so I ask to actually take better paper than I have now, smooth or in any case suitable for use. Actually sheets ok for the sketches, I have more than 250 sheets 90gsm a3 and a5 carson, another Sketch pad 50 g / sqm but I miss the best paper of this X pencil drawing and characoal. I do not know what I know only the thickness but I do not know if price difference, maybe it is conditioned by the availability in italy.in europe etc (, strathmore for example could not be found easily.) If difference in quality and little if spending less I can take + sheets it is still better to make more drawings and exercises, however it would be great to reduce the choice a little so if over time I will try + types I will not go blindly and among a thousand brands and probably with a compromise quality price better than I would find.(without asking I was wrong with other purchases by design)
I hope in a suggestion before making a mistake so I will not approach the half inidonium. I'm writing so much, I'm sorry, summarizing if possible I would also be useful to know if to change and if one of these can be good or I was wrong to orient myself.
Ps: I do not blame the card on my drawings and that class 8 will be very hard but I will give you the time you need to learn as much as possible, as for each class obviously that are so valuable with the help you give us, really, I ask so maybe I start to prepare myself on the material not to neglect paper as I did at the beginning (actually you already helped me with the card)

I thank you so much for help and patience, I'm sorry if I take advantage of it. (I'll try to bother you less)
  #272   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 02:53 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Joe - I cannot give you such detailed answers, I'm not a paper expert.
Besides, read the first line of this thread on papers "There is no answer to the best paper for YOU"

You did very well in this class, please move on

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #273   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you so much, I will go to class 7.
For the question on the card I wanted to apologize. After writing I read other posts and also the one you reported. It's true.
The question that I wanted to formulate you and if you advised to replace paper (lightly grained, 90gsm) to get better results maybe in class 8 (If I already have a couple of 200 mg at home already found in a small kit with sadpaper etc ..) and for drawings or if he was still indifferent.
The doubt was if this did not allow certain effects and limits learning, I do not know how much it allows to stratify correctly because it is too fine etc.
From beginner, you have the doubt if with better material you would waste material or maybe at least in some cases it is the counter also because you can not evaluate the medium and then if you know a good card then you have a yardstick.
There are many types of cards for every price, various surface for avariety of drawing techniques (many media, watercolor, pencil, charcoal, etc ...)
months ago I also took a kraft block that I had read some positive opinion but only once tried I realized that I would not like to draw.
*It 's really very subjective so there is a need to try as much as possible and get an idea, I think I will then look for an album with 200 mg paper, smooth. I'll try - I wanted to tell you this, sorry and thanks for your patience and for everything.

Sometimes I get stuck like when I was wondering which book for beginners was the most suitable instead of hurriedly getting one and moving to draw, to focus more on practice then. Sorry
  #274   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

With the example of the book I wanted to say that information is important but then it is also practiced. I'm doing some sort of self-criticism. Precise that the books on reviews have been useful but only to purchase to draw with the right side of the brain first because it was translated I realized that among others put in the list a How to Draw What You See or keys of the design taken (found in a new reissue translated and economic) I had started a few months before registering on the forum because these 2 have an approach that is more familiar to me and prone to me and close to what I was looking for in a basic book and maybe even at drawing that I would like to do more. For example Draw what where you construct life from shapes, lines, and curves, mesure with pencil etc while the first one mentioned, rigth (I started it and abandoned + times because for theoretical scientif discourse (I do not know if it's right but anyhow the important thing for the practical purpose was the things he said and not the why) and use of media like grid continue to draw me it seemed more cumbersome and less entertaining and so I did not find myself at all but this was certainly not the fault of the book but that preference is indeed one of those subjective things but closing with the books and the teachings in each one there is something that returns useful for you and you have to make a cue and put in your trunk or in any case if you discover something that you did not know is just good). Closing that I really pass to the new class. it is really true that in fact with practice you realize what works for us. thanks.

Last edited by joe1It : 09-01-2018 at 09:40 AM.
  #275   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2018, 05:45 PM

Hello Arnaud!

I spent the last few weeks working through the assignments for this module (Cones). I purchased the bluetooth shutter button and tripod as you suggested. However, I noticed afterwards that, despite my best efforts at the time, my photography leaves a little to be desired. For example, I taped the drawings to a wall and realized afterwards that not all of the drawings were straight on the wall. If that makes sense. I will continue practicing with taking pics.

On to the artwork

First, I filled up a page of imagined cones:

Next I drew these seashells 100% from life. The photo is a little washed-out looking. The image is a bit crisper and has way more contrast in real life. I did some editing in GIMP but this needs some spot-editing.:\

Next I drew a cut-glass lid of a candy dish I have. I know it seems that both sides of the dish should be symmetrical but it really does look like this from this perspective. For this drawing, I did the drawing 80% from life. Towards the end, I needed to put the object away so I snapped a picture and drew in some finer details of the cut glass. I am very happy with how this turned out.

Lastly, I drew a bracelet I owned made out of glass seed beads, ceramic beads (the darker ones with the white stripe down the side), and paper beads (the beads are made by rolling strips of recycled paper into a two-sided cone and then varnishing). This drawing was 100% from a still-life photograph I took, as the details are so tiny I wouldn't be able to draw them in such an up-close composition as I had wanted to draw. I am very proud of this drawing . I don't think the photograph does it justice. It looks too dark on the left-hand side. I did not have the time to do some spot-editing on the photograph, although for all the photographs I did editing in GIMP as per your link you had provided some time ago.

#276   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:33 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Very nice Melanie
You attained a very high level already.
Please move on to a next class.

Last edited by arnoud3272 : 10-17-2018 at 02:38 PM.
  #277   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2018, 02:35 PM

Thanks so much for your feedback Arnaud. I really appreciate it. This course has been a highlight for me these past few months
  #278   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2018, 02:39 PM

Forgot to mention - for the seashells I had wanted to start trying to demonstrate texture a little better. Instead of just shading things softly with very dark cast shadows (even though I like this look). I looked online and saw a few examples and realized the effect I was looking for required creating some contour lines or hatching along the curve of the object. Instead of just blending everything in to a smooth gradient. So I was pleased how the seashells turned out.
  #279   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2019, 03:34 PM

Hello,

Here are my class 6 assignments. I struggled with the spider quite a bit, and couldn't figure out how to make it realistic.

Thank you,
SaharM.
  #280   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Well done, Sahar
The forms are well understood. There is a point where I wonder what you want to achieve in these classes.
One aspect of drawing (sketching) is to correctly analyze the contours and forms, in preparation of a painting. But many people go further, completing the drawing itself into a work of art. That takes an effort (and long practice) to realize. Basically you need a lot of careful rendering of the tones, without showing the separate pencil strokes.
If you are interested in that aspect, class 8 is the basic exercise.
Keep up the good work

#281   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 09:47 AM

Here are my attempts at cones

I should have erased the ellipse "checking lines" before i started shading but forgot.
Attached Images

#282   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 04:27 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Well done, mowgliandme
You understand the basic forms very well.
Please move on to one of the next classes

#283   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2020, 03:22 PM
Moscow

Hails from Russian Federation

Hello.
Here are my conical objects. They are turning independently from me...

#284   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2020, 05:38 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Good job, Anna
You understand the conical form well.
Please move on to a next class