Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking letterpress ink for linocut

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gumk

First post with the forum: I’m living in the Philippines and no longer have access to relief print inks. Previously, I was using Graphic Chemical and Ink Co. oil based ink. Here I can only find letterpress ink. I’ve used several kinds of oil in an attempt to create the correct viscosity. Unfortunately, when laying one color over another, it tends to become “beady” and won’t lay flat. Does anybody have a solution?

ALSilva

Hi, Gumk – I don’t know if you’ve already solved your problem but I would also like to learn. I just moved myself to Bacolod, Negros Occ. and am looking for relief ink supplies for lino. I’m ready to test letterpress ink myself. With regard to your layers, maybe contact Graphic Chemical because they were original manufacturers of letterpress inks. Also, are your inks rubber-based or oil-based? Online search says that’s what letterpress inks are and maybe that’s a reason for “beadiness?” If your rolls are too viscous, maybe add some kind of drier or increase stickiness/tack? I’m desperate myself and have resorted to adding cornstarch to poster paint to make a rollable ink for lino. Heat and humidity, and what papers are you using? Hope we can help each other out.

pressmaker

There are some good inks in the market; but you will have to test it in your specific situation.
                Van Son rubberbase Inks (Dutch):
                Cranfield inks (they have ranges “oil-based” , “water-based”, “emulsifiable oil-based inks, (water-soap washable). All relief printing inks.
                Check
                http://www.polymetaal.nl/contents/en-uk/d122_Relief-printing-inks-and-conditioners.html
                This new Polymetaal site is still under construction, but gets more data every day. (sometimes in Dutch only…)

BeLing

Could it be your plates are over-inked?

Try using half the amount of ink, the minimum, but roll it out twice as much, or more, so it gives that “swish” sound.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.