Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Sanding oil paint surface? Attempt to remove texture of brush stroke

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    joshuaw

Hi all, it’s been a while.

Normally I’m not concerned with covering my tracks. A painting is a painting and brushstrokes come with. However, in a particular painting I’d like to remove them.

I’m trying to create a gray space around some figures in my painting. I’m painting on a gessoed board. Painting around the contours of the figure requires some 00 brushes and a bit of precision. Hence, brushstrokes are inevitable. Then I’ve used larger brushes for the remainder of the surrounding area. Added a little Galkud to the paint with the hope it would level the paint a bit, but strokes show. Feathering the surface with a soft filbert might work, but hard to do so as I near the figure.

Any ideas on how to create a smooth/flat surface of paint that is finely painted around an irregular form? Can I sand the surface afterward? Any other ideas?

Humbaba

Have you tried scraping the edges?, this is what I do, and I have seen Richard Schmid do it too, but he does while the paint is still wet.

joshuaw

Scrape how? Guessing there isn’t video floating out there?

bhindi

Segmented retractable knife blade?

Ellis Ammons

I advise you not to sand any oil paint. The dust can be highly toxic and even deadly.

Stand oil is great for reducing brush marks. You’ll still get ridges in your paint if your not careful but it reduces all the little fine hair marks that throw so much glare. It’s like painting with honey though.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                        oil and acrylic paintings..

Gigalot

Sharp knife is a useful tool to do that. The second tool is a flat piece of natural pumice. Both tools effectivelly removes paint hills but leave flat paint layers almost not changed.

Hamburgefions

It’s always difficult to give an advice, when you can’t see exactly what is going on. But this is mine:

(Thoroughly) sanding, I would only do when the paint is completely dry (after months/years). Very, very slightly sanding is not a problem as long if you are not damaging the protecting layer on top of the paint layer. And when you sand, it’ s best to paint over it with a fresh layer of oil paint, after you cured what you sanded it with some medium.

If you have brushmarks (relief), and the paint is to fresh, you’d better remove the paint completely.

If you want no brushmarks and and an evenly smooth layer, paint as a housepainter: different thin coats of paint. Do not try to cover it with one(thick) layer.

If you knew it in advance, you could have applied an thin acrylic layer first, before starting in oils. Acrylics are more opaque than oils.

You say that feathering the surface might work. Well do it. After feathering, you”ll have to remove the paint which is distributed on the figure (try with a nearly dry brush sparely drenched in medium/OMS).
                                After that, you can still apply a thin layer of the same colour.

Delofasht

Here you go, this is a time stamp from a video I watched not too long ago. This is just for shaving the initial bumps out.

Then I have another here where he proceeds to sand some of those areas the rest of the way down and talks a bit about what and why. Watching the whole video was interesting as well, and there was a lot to learn from it.

- Delo Delofasht
                                    Humbaba

Here you go, this is a [URL=https://youtu.be/KRRZLVu-IQI?t=1020]time stamp[/URL] from a video I watched not too long ago. This is just for shaving the initial bumps out.

Then I have another [URL=https://youtu.be/KRRZLVu-IQI?t=3840]here[/URL] where he proceeds to sand some of those areas the rest of the way down and talks a bit about what and why. Watching the whole video was interesting as well, and there was a lot to learn from it.

No offense intended, but boy, that video was boring.

Delofasht

No offense intended, but boy, that video was boring.

None taken, I put these kinds of videos on in the background while I paint, and occasionally write down a note of something they say that is interesting or turn around and look at what they are doing if I hear them announcing they are doing something I have been interested in learning about. There was a lot of good information in there about keeping a palette of colors simple, and scraping, and understanding values over color. . . guess it could be boring if the subject matter is all stuff you already know though. /shrug. Oh well, hopefully someone finds the bits and pieces in there useful (I did).

- Delo Delofasht
                                            AnnieA

I actually had some success removing brushmarks that were in the wrong place (in the background, competing with the subject) in a completely dry painting. I used a very fine wet-dry sandpaper. If the painting is still wet, there’s a tool I used to have that would have done the trick perfectly. It was a ceramics tool that had a long needle point on one end, but on the other end was a small metal claw-shaped (as in single talon) piece that had fairly sharp edges and so many uses, including scraping back wet or even dry paint layers, and loosening dried paint from the inside of a paint tube spout (is there another word for that?), and also for loosening the dried paint from around a stuck cap. The pointed end works great for cleaning out the threads on a dirty cap.

Unfortunately, that piece on my tool came loose and, unbeknownst to me, fell off and was probably vacuumed up. I’ve searched all over for that same tool and hadn’t been able to find one – until now! This looks like the one I had: http://www.bigceramicstore.com/6-5-kemper-lace-sgraffito-tool-k25-20341.html
                                                And so does this one: http://www.bigceramicstore.com/6-75-kemper-lace-sgraffito-tool-ab.html
                                                There are several other variations on a “lace tool” on the website, here: http://www.bigceramicstore.com/tools-supplies/decorating-tools/sgraffito-tools.html

I’m going to have to study the lace tools more closely to see which is closest to the tool I had. Basically, FYI, they describe the end that got lost as a “curved, pointed blade.” So, anyway, thanks so much for asking the question! I might not have found this otherwise. Also, I’d try sandpaper first, as you need to be extremely careful using the claw blade on a canvas surface.

Also, I’m pretty sure the only danger with sanding would come if toxic paints, such as cadmiums, were used. Other paint ingredients are typically benign.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                [FONT=Palatino]
                                                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

joshuaw

Thank you all for the input.

Bought a sheet of 220 grit wet/dry sand paper. I’ll give it a shot once I’m certain it’s thoroughly dried. Not worried about sanding it for any health reasons — no toxic pigments involved in the painting, yet.

For the rest of it I’m thinking I might paint around the figure and drag a credit card or some kind of trowel to smooth out a level layer, wipe, repeat. Maybe a mixture of galkyd, gamsol, and a little stand oil, maybe a blow dryer will be involved. Might have a cleaning brush with just OMS as Hamburg suggested — used that approach before, but boy, it gets tedious. Until I get impatient, probably soon, we’ll see what works.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Sanding oil paint surface? Attempt to remove texture of brush stroke’ is closed to new replies.