Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics eeeek! dry paint rubbing off!??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Back to acrylics my old love after dating oils.
    I gessod board started a painting and after a week find the whole lot rubbing off! (With a wet rag) I did use a cheap white mixed with my ateliers…maybe thats my big mistake?
    Has anyone any ideas or experieces with this?
    Thanks
    from aunty grizelda

I am replying to my own question….seems no one can help me!

Hi aunty g, you have to give people more than 2 hours to respond. ;)
    Could you please give more detail? Is the paint rubbing off dry, or is it wet or sticky? What did you add to the paint? This seems an odd problem for acrylics.
    Did you unknowingly mix some of your oil materials in with your acrylics?

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

AprilJoy

I’ve removed dried paint by wetting it & then over working the area on top- did your dry layers get soggy?

I’m always doing that because I use thin layers fairly often& actually count on it happening in some instances.

You could always varnish between layers to prevent paint from changing once you like where it’s at.

[FONT="Impact"]FuzzyNacho
        [FONT="Arial"]"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
        Oscar Wilde

Guide

My first thought was about the primer. Was it a primer for oils or acrylics. If for oils, that would be the problem.

Another thought was that the paint wasn’t cured. It can take up to several weeks for the paint to properly cure.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Davkin

These are atelier brand? If so it may just be that you need to give them more time. Atelier brand is designed to be reworkable though they shouldn’t be with just water after a week but frankly I just don’t trust these “magic” formulas of acrylic paint. I have played with Ateliers some and wasn’t impressed. Did you apply the paint heavily thinned with water? If so that could be your problem. If you thin a paint too much, (any paint, not just acrylics) you stretch the binder too thinly and it can’t hold onto the pigment anymore. Maybe I’m a bit of a purist, but I think using acrylics for water color effects is asking for trouble.

David

David

bluhunter

I’ve never put acrylic paint or gesso on top of oil (primer) paint or anything oil based and so have never had that problem. Just ask my attic. Oil based paint will stick to acrylic, just not the other way around, is the rule I’ve followed.

...it's called the american dream because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

Davkin

Oil based paint will stick to acrylic, just not the other way around, is the rule I’ve followed.

Actually that’s not necessarily true. Acrylic paint is not a primer and is not even porous so it tends to supply a weak bond for oil paint. I know there are many artists that do it and get away with it but I’m pretty sure it’s not considered to be archival practice. Oil paint applied over acrylic paint can often be removed by scratching it with your finger nail.

David

David

RickinNM

I have it happened to me . The reasons for mine had been.
                            A , Thinned the wash with water too thin broke the polymer bond I was told.
                            B, Oily residue on painting. (eating lunch had to move painting wife needed in closet easel in front of it) the next layer of paint broke up in the pattern of my fingers .
                            C,Using an interactive paint 2 days later scumbling over top pulled up some base paint.

I noticed these when doing a rough scumbling over a dried layer.

Eric

Thankyou to EVERYONE above. I am a little ashamed of my impatience here!
                            Stapeliad;….It was ac acrylic gesso as thats all I use.
                            I think all of the ‘answers’ have merit. I did likely add too much water to the layers.
                            Also not sure that the Atelier ( and recent new other brands of “open” paints are for me
                            As I like to paint in layers. I will use glazing medium with less water in future.
                            Apriljoy; thanks….I will experiment with varnishing in between layers also.
                            Thanks again!!!!

bluhunter

I’ve never put acrylic paint or gesso on top of oil (primer) paint or anything oil based and so have never had that problem. Just ask my attic. Oil based paint will stick to acrylic, just not the other way around, is the rule I’ve followed.

I don’t use oil based paint now and I don’t care what you think. But since that rule has worked for me for 50 years or so, I’ll stay with it, if that’s ok with you. I’m sure that paint compounds have changed, so all the nitpickers can have a ball, while I just sit back and wait for all the oil paint in the world since about 1950 to fall off the acrylic gesso, technically, metaphorically speaking. :)

...it's called the american dream because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                              • The topic ‘eeeek! dry paint rubbing off!??’ is closed to new replies.