Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Cleaning brushes between colors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    JaneyD123

I’m sure this is absurdly elementary to most people on here, but I’ve just started painting and I feel like I may be cleaning my brushes incorrectly between colors. I’ve got a big jar of solvent (I’m intentionally avoiding saying which kind because every thread I’ve found that asked a similar question turned into a debate about the merits of one solvent over another) and in between colors I dip my brush in the jar to clean the paint off. My problem is that the jar gets so saturated with paint so quickly, that the jar becomes worthless before my paintings are done. I even bought a fancy little jar with a spring in it, but it didn’t help. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I use something like this to clean my brushes, and all the sediment sinks to the bottom:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/brush-washers-and-cleaning-supplies/brush-washers/da-vinci-air-tight-brush-washer.htm

But, most of the time I’ll use a separate brush for each color, but when I clean my brushes between colors or at the end I use the thing above

Victordipilato.art
        Instagram @victor.dipilato.art (realism)
        Instagram @dipilato.fine.art (Abstract and surrealism)

!becca

Janey, welcome to oils, it works for me to just wipe my brushes on a towel between colors..for lights and darks I try to have dedicated brushes for each to avoid much contamination..this keeps you from getting extra solvent into your paint.

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
            Becca's Fine Art

JaneyD123

Thank you for the advice! I suppose “fancy” is a relative term–the $6 jar I bought seems silly compared to VicDiPilato’s contraption! ;) Oil painting has turned out to be quite an expensive hobby to start, so I’ll have to try different brushes and a towel and plan on upgrading my container in the future. Thank both so much. What a great resource this site is! :D

!becca

Janey, yes, this site is a great resource and source of support too..don’t forget to post your paintings here too..

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
                    Becca's Fine Art

WFMartin

I use a small, 12-oz., metal, coffee can, into the bottom of which I place a round piece of hardware cloth, with the edges bent down about 1/4 of an inch, so as to keep it off the bottom of the can, and allow about a quarter inch of space for sediment to settle.

“Hardware cloth” is that metal mesh that looks a bit like fine, chicken wire, but it is a bit stiffer, with a square weave.

I add enough Odorless Mineral Spirits to the can so as to have the level of the liquid at least 1/2 inch above the mesh.

Between colors, when necessary, I swish my brush across the screen in the bottom of the can and then I wipe my brush with a paper towel. When changing from a dark to a light color, I will often swish my brush in the solvent, and then squeeze the bristles from the ferrule toward the tip with the paper towel. When simply doing a rough cleaning of the brush just to remove excess paint, I keep a folded, paper towel, bulldog-clipped to the lower edge of my palette, which I hold in my hand. For a cursory cleaning, after swishing in the solvent, I just wipe my brush across that folded paper towel.

I am always very conscious of keeping as my cleaning solvent, an ingredient that is very compatible with my oil paint. I avoid using non-drying oils for this cleaning, and only use solvents that are compatible with my paint.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

dirtysteev

Oil painting can be expensive, so you may not like my advice, but I would say if you are going to stick with it buy more brushes. You can keep several brushes going at once so you are not wasting time and solvent cleaning between colors. I usually have between twelve and eighteen brushes going during a painting, I used to find it frustrating to sit there cleaning red out of my brush before I wanted to dip into the white, so now I keep somewhat dedicated brushes.

Alan P. in OC

I, on the other hand, will paint for hours with one brush, it certainly doesn’t take that long to wipe it off on a paper towel (to get the majority of the paint off), swish it in solvent, wipe it on a different ‘solvent rag’ and continue.

I have precious little room to paint, and don’t like the thought of a dozen or so brushes, all wet with different colors, being around my couch (painting chair).

The solvent may get dirty a little but is still clean enough to not contaminate colors for a good while – I paint a good 20-25 hours a week and change my solvent jar every two weeks or so.

As for saving time using many brushes, maybe so, but I only have to clean a couple at the end of a painting session, not a dozen and a half:).

Ron Francis

Same as Alan.
                                    I clean my brush every time I change colour, even if it is only a small change.

I have two smallish plastic buckets the same size and one sits inside the other.
                                    The inside one naturally sits around 1/2″ higher than the other, leaving space below it for sediment.
                                    The bottom of the inside one is drilled with a matrix of holes that acts in a similar way to Bill’s mesh idea.
                                    And like Bill, I have rags that I wipe the brushes on after swishing.

The solvent will last for a painting, which can sometime be fairly large, before I discard it.

Ron
                                    www.RonaldFrancis.com

edwardII

I am new to this oil painting thing as well so I have a limited collection of brushes and to the solvent/towel clean between colors myself. Only thing I might add that I didn’t see above is I keep a couple knives around to grab more white for the mixture/color I’m working with…it isn’t a bother to me to grad for a knife that can be wiped completely clean with paper towel to avoid messing my white and having to also clean a brush.

Ed II.
                                        C&C always welcomed, whether constructive or otherwise!:D

Aires

You might find it a money saver to have two small containers with lids for solvent. With two containers, when sludge builds up you let it settle out overnight and then carefully decant the clear solvent above it into a fresh container. Wipe out the sludge left behind with a paper towel for disposal and pour the decanted solvent back into the cleaned container. If you always wipe excess pigment off your brushes before dipping in solvent, you can keep your solvent going for a long time by removing sludge when the solvent becomes murky. I eventually have a container of re-used solvent that I use only for brush cleaning while having a fresh supply for an actual painting. You just keep the cycle going to stretch the solvent over a long period. The lids slow evaporation between painting sessions and reduce hazardous fumes. Coffee cans, old mayonaise jars, anything with a lid is fair game and works just as well as expensive ones. You can mold a piece of hardware cloth to fit any container and voila, you’re set to go.

I forgot how expensive that brush cleaner was! But I bought it 3 years ago and it still works great. I like that it seals and I can use the same solvent for weeks before changing it out. I probably made up the cost on what I saved in solvents.

Victordipilato.art
                                            Instagram @victor.dipilato.art (realism)
                                            Instagram @dipilato.fine.art (Abstract and surrealism)

newsproducer

Probably too elementary of a question, but I’ll ask anyway. What to do with the used paper towels / solvent rags? I can’t just throw them in regular trash, can I?

!becca

No, NP don’t throw them in the trash..first immerse them in water or use a special fireproof metal container and then if they include solvents or heavy metals dispose as hazardous waste.

Becca's Fine Art

Ribera

9/10/12, Posted by newsproducer:
                                                        What to do with the used paper towels/solv-
                                                        ent rags?

Simply maintain a separate receptacle for
                                                        solventy/toxic things, and place them there;
                                                        at the conclusion of each session, I simply
                                                        toss those in the sewer.
                                                        In schools, there’s a specific container for
                                                        those things, and a janitor comes by regu-
                                                        larly to take ’em away to a separate place
                                                        (I’m positive these matters’re likely regu-
                                                        lated by the gov’t – Some of those materi-
                                                        als’re toxic.).
                                                        r

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Cleaning brushes between colors’ is closed to new replies.