WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany
My window view

Hello again,
Have been working very hard on this one, changed it many times, over and over again. Yet, at the end I am not happier than before all the changes. Maybe you can give me a hint, why it all looks so dead to me.
The dark surfaces on the mountain are shadow areas. In reality the shadows are one broad strip of dark, but I did change that, it looks awful.
It would be very helpful to get your advice and comments on this one. Thank you for your critism and help.
PS: The picture may not be of the best quality, I am sorr for thisl
Enid
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Re: My window view

I like the feel of this painting but it is lacking. Given that I am not a landscape painter I will offer my opinion, but others may have more educated advice. I think that the background hills are very well painted - but they are just that - a background. The painting needs a point of interest & for me, I think it would benefit from more detail in the foreground. I am envious of the way in which you've rendered the clouds - lovely!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
LA County, California

Hails from United States

Just a beginner myself & my style is totally different. I think you're off to a really good start. To me-there just doesn't seem to be enough depth or impact . I would suggest (though I've never attempted painting from life) looking out your window at different times of day & find the time when the light is the strongest & perhaps add a (tiny) bit of that bright light to top of the nearest hills (with a bit of darker shadow) & some toned down highlight to the tops of of the foliage in the mid and front. Remember the HL will be less pronounced as you move forward and you don't want to use too much (or place it too near the center of the painting). Then look out your window again... Are there any rocks or any other objects you can place near the foreground to break up the grass? I think adding some of those and maybe some small patches of dirt would enhance it also. Like I said, I'm just beginning but those are changes I would incorporate to enhance such a lovely view. Maybe wait till more folks chime in since my suggestions may be totally wrong. I haven't any art schooling & only learn by doing & watching others.
Good luck!
John
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Okeechobee, Florida

Hails from United States

Might just be the photo but your shadows, mostly the darks could be much darker. especialy the underbrush,bushes.. much darker deep black/green helps give it more depth
the Foreground grasses add a few defined grasses or barren tree branches from the low bushes.
Maybe add a bird or two in the sky.
your highlights on the bushes and some blades of grass need to be a little brighter.
Bright highlights and Dark darks.. make it pop out even more.
Might I suggest a few dark brownish tan blades of grasses in between to make the ones there stand out more. and a few dark green/black in the underbushes.. a little light yellow/green on the low brushes on top showing direction of the light.
That might help some. do a little bit at a time and see how it looks.
Hope this helps some.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Gold Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Enid , your problem is the foreground is as blurred as the background. The nearer parts should be more in focus. The sky and mountains are good, just add more detail (eg: individual grass strokes at the very front in varying colours) or more suggestion of the grasses with a tiny bit more contrast. I think that is all that is required.

Paul

www.paulbennettfineart.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

I think there is some really good painting and colour in this - really good.

However, it does lack a focal point, some interest to give the painting meaning more than just a view.
It also possibly has too little contrasting tonal work.
If you look at a greyscale version of the work, that would be immediately apparent.

My choice would also be to add figure (s) in the foreground field - perhaps running through the grass? Just a suggestion

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hello all,

First of all thank you for the advice which I have tried to turn around. Hopefully it looks now better than before. I for myself am more satisfied now. Nevertheless I would like to ask you to please tell me if this is all I got to do or is there more I must change?

Question about the clouds - I learned to paint clouds by taking lessons. Tim Gagnon is the teacher. I know that he has a web page, maybe there is more information available for those who are interested.

Thank you again for your productive help.
PS: I am sorry for the bad quality of the picture - also the canvas has been ruined by me by changing so man times.
Enid