WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Pen and Ink Help Desk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Re: How to Produce (and Sell) Prints of your Artwork

BethAnn - Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, or if you need any advice, encouragement, etc. That's what we're here for.

Justin - Wow, that sounds cool. I'll have to check out more about that. What do you use to draw on the plate... a pencil/pen or a brush? And if you decide to try this out, please let us know how it works out for you.

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States

Dave,

I'm back with more questions! I have read and reread (and probably will continue to do so!) Done some looking here for printers, etc. but I ran into a snag with the plastic envelopes you mentioned to protect the prints. This would really give it more protection (and a professional look) but where do you get them? I have tried office supply, craft supply, and local art supply with no luck. And apparently I'm not very good at internet search, because I struck out there too.

Any suggestions?

Again, thanks so much, I do so appreciate all the great info!

Smoki
(HappyAppy)
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2006, 06:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Try here.... http://www.cardblanks.com/
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
South East Colorado

Hails from United States

Pronto plates are polyester plates that can be printed in a laser printer, drawn on with sharpie, crayon, tusche, or most any other litho technique. The key is that the drawing material must resist water so that it will attract ink.

I will surely be sharing my work when I have produced some using this technique.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Smoki - Those glassy clear envelopes are the best! I normally get mine through a framing supply company I use. I've been looking for a place online for some time, but hadn't found one... that is until my buddy Robert (objectivistartist) came through!

Robert - Thou art the man!

Justin - That definitely sounds interesting, and it would be great to see what you come up with... thanks!

And since I mentioned it, here is the website of the company I order all of my framing supplies from: www.unitedmfrs.com This is the place I first saw those glassy clear sleeves. They only deal wholesale to businesses, so you'll need a sales tax number, but the prices are decent and the service is great. For example, I get my matboard through them for about $2-4 per 32x40 sheet, instead of $6-8 each at my local art shop. (the only problem there is that you need to order a min. 20 sheets - I think). They have everything from hardware to matt cutters to display racks. You can order a free catalog from them.

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Immortalized
My Heart's in Marquette, My butt's stuck in Vegas!

Hails from United States

No I have not yet been to your site, but I will visit, I promise. The semester is almost over and I will have a few weeks to finish my three drawings, hit your site, re-read your articles etc...
Romans 12:18 "If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone"
My Website
Stock Photos
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

I just thought of this. In your article you mentioned that most places (office max kinko's etc.) can do a max size of 11"x17", that's not necessarily true. Most of the bigger Xerox products can print up to 12"x18" (handy for doing full bleed 11"x17") and some machines will go even bigger than that. So make sure you ask about the biggest size they can make the copies on.
Romans 12:18 "If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone"
My Website
Stock Photos
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2006, 12:15 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Bismarck, ND

Hails from United States

Thank you Dave for another phenomenal article!! Have been kicking this idea around myself since many people at (ack!!) craft shows buy my cards to take home and frame. The information that you so willingly give to the masses is very much appreciated!! Your writing style just begs to be published - you have a great storytelling ability that balances nicely with the information given and the touch of humor that makes reading so enjoyable. I can't even begin to thank you for what I have learned from you (and I still have 2 more foliage articles to find!! ) and know I will someday say "I knew him when..."

BTW - Another address for clear envelopes is www.americankelco.com

my website
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States

Hi all,

I was looking for mats (and those pesky clear envelopes, etc.) - just browsing, and found this site. www.matshop.com

Lots of fun info here, and they have "poly bags"? for artwork. Thought you experts could take a look as well, I thought the site was interesting, even if I couldn't get the "matomatic" to upload my picture.

smoki
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

OK I've reread this about six times. Still have not been to your site though... Have you ever done greeting cards? Would that be something where it's OK to just use the old ink jet since most people aren't going to be framing them and hanging them for the next 50 years? I've been thinking about asking the owner of the art/coffee shop where my daughter takes her lessons about selling some there. I think that coffee drawing would at least have a chance at selling. Anyone have any experience with this?
My Website
Stock Photos
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States

I've done greeting cards on the inkjet, and some of the people tell me they still have them - 10 to 12 years later. (Christmas cards, they keep them because they are friends!) I do have some also on a website and at a local antique/art shop. No complaints so far. Comments from the experts?

And speaking of experts, what can anyone tell me about signing prints? Dave's mentioned signing prints, does anyone favor signing the original? Or should that not be done? How about the title? Front, back, seperate card?

smoki
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2006, 12:21 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Bismarck, ND

Hails from United States

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with this?

Ah ha!!! Something I can help with!! I use Strathmore small inkjet cards and have a Canon pixma inkjet printer. The ink is archival and the paper is acid-free, so they are high-quality cards that people can even take home and frame. I package them in glassine envelopes and peddle them at craft shows (I know, I know Dave!!! ). Hoping to expand venues or even get a couple of wholesalers on board. I'm certainly not going to become a millionaire doing this, but I make some good contacts this way!! If you have any questions, pm me!

my website
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2006, 04:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Mel - First.. thank you so much for your kind comments about my article! It really means a lot too me.. especially the part about it being enjoyable to read. Aside from providing information, that's my main goal; after all, if something isn't a pleasure to read, nobody would read it.

As for inkjet printing - I agree that there is great inkjet technology now, and I put inkjet prints right up there next to laser copies on the integrity ladder (on the third rung from the bottom ). But, I have nothing against it as a process aside from it being more expensive than having it done at a printer. When you recieve my Christmas card, take a look at the quality of the printing and the stock it was printed on, and know that they only cost 15 cents each to have printed at Minuteman Press. ($15 for 100) I went one-sided; I didn't want to limit these to being Christmas cards by printing words inside since I'm going to try to sell the remainder of them here in Bethlehem this year as notecards. This something I'm only delving into myself for the first time. (btw - 2 sided would've been $.22/ea)

So, how much does it cost for a single cartridge of ink for your pc printer? $15 - 20 at best, right? And commonly $25-40. And I've never seen one cartridge yield 200 quality prints. (that's from my days of printing commission brochures on my inkjet) Now consider the cost of the paper; I can get 100# coverstock at a local wholesale paper store at a cost of $23 for 250 sheets (8.5 x 11). I'm no mathemetician, but I can add those numbers up. And now that I think about it, it would take me just as long to go buy paper and ink at staples as it does to stop by the printer and have them do it. In fact, for my cards, I didn't have to leave; I waited and had the finished cards in 10 minutes. (actually, I walked down the street for a coffee while I waited)

And then there's the size issue again. I could've printed my 7 x 10 inch image of my church steeple onto an 8.5 x 11 sheet using my pc printer, but it wouldn't allow enough border to matt it (unless you overlapped the image). I had them put my image on 11 x 17 paper and later trimmed them down to allow a workable border. To me, the choice is a no-brainer, but if you insist on adding wear and tear to your home printer, you go right ahead.

(btw - there's a sticky with all my foliage tutorials listed )

Greg - That's some good info about the size of laser copies. The places I use have the 11 x 17 size limitation, but it's good to know there are larger alternatives. And of course, it's always good to ask the printer what options are available.

As for using your pc to print cards...I'd say it's a good way to go if you want to print a few, such as a dozen or so. Otherwise, read my response to Mel.

And as for you visiting my site... you make it sound like work. You'll be in for a big surprise; my site is actually like my big playground. Dude, I have so much cool stuff on my site.. not just artwork. (for instance - do you like playing retro video games like donkey kong, asteroids, pacman, berzerk, etc... I have a ton you can play on my site) See?.... not work, just play!

Smoki - Thanks for the great questions! You really touched on some good topics (that I completely forgot about ) I'm going to include the following in my next formal update, but for now I'll give you the revised version:

I went to get frames the other day from a guy I've known for years who has a small framing factory. He manufactures frames, but he also does actual matting and framing. When I told him about this article, he immediately reminded me of a few things I forgot to mention. One of them pertained to the location of the artist's signature.

This reminded me of the same questions I had about "signature protocol" when I first started doing prints. At the time, I was advised to leave the original unsigned and sign only the prints. Whatever you do, DON'T DO THAT! I normally leave an oval space on my original where I sign it, and with my first set of prints, I left it blank, as instructed. When I got my prints, I wondered if I should sign them in pencil or ink. I always saw others sign them in pencil, but if I did that, it could be erased leaving my print "signature-less". To prevent this, I signed them in ink. But then the problem was that they didn't look "hand-signed"; it looked like the printed sig from the original.

With that in mind, I now sign all of my originals somewhere within the picture, before they're printed. I sign the prints just below the image on the left side (or you can do the right - it's a matter of preference). I normally use pencil when I sign them, however it depends on the paper it's printed on; for glossy copies that won't take the pencil too well, I use a Sakura fine point identi-pen (or anything that will write on photos). Keep in mind that folks like to see the signature when the print is framed, so keep it close enough to the image to accomodate aprox 1/2 inch border between the image and the matting. (that one was from the framer). Otherwise, I really don't think there's a right or a wrong place to sign something, this is simply how I do it based on what I've seen over the years. This year, I did a limited edition card for Christmas and signature space on the front was limited. If someone wanted to mat and frame it, they wouldn't have enough room to leave a border around the image. And since they wouldn't able to see the signature anyway, I signed and numbered the back of the card.

If you're going to add the title, keep it in the center, just below the image, and aprox the same height as the signature. I don't add titles to my prints, but I've seen it done on various occasions. Trust me, it takes a long time to sit down and sign several hundred prints; the last thing I want is to do it again with a title.

As I said, I'm going to include this info in a future update (sometime after the holidays) which will be a bit more detailed. I'll be discussing, among other things, "certificates of authenticity" for limited editions, as well as info cards that can accompany a print. (People love both of those!)

So stay tuned! And keep the questions coming!

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast
St. Augustine, Florida

Hails from United States

what tools would you consider essential for the studio? what would you consider a "luxury"?

hey, i saw your tower in another one of your pieces- "the blacksmith shop". your architectural stuff is great, but i love the escher-like monk drawing...that'll drive you nuts looking at it- must have been interesting rendering it...

ancientcityinkworks.com
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast
Cape Town

Hails from South Africa

Dave, you have intuition second to none. I was about to ask you all about signing and printing. Just to be clear, you sign the original in pen before scanning and printing and then the prints in pencil if not on glossy paper, correct? You are very generous and extremely helpful with your info, thanks a million