WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Pen and Ink Help Desk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2009, 05:37 AM

Hails from Scotland
Re: What kind of pen do you use?

I use a Japanese brush pen for my line work, then a fineliner marker to get the fiddly bits.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Currently I use Pigma Microns in a set of six and Prismacolor archival markers in two sets of eight, the 005 set and the 05 set which is quite broader. I used to use Rapidographs but slaughtered over fifty of the expensive pens over the years because I'd get sick or distracted and let them dry out with ink in the pen.

I'm getting a new set of Rapidographs but going to try to get in the habit of pouring the ink back into the bottle every use, the way a friend in New Orleans does. Hers never had any trouble in several years, so maybe I can finally manage to live with those pens without just throwing my money down the Koh-I-Noor sink.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Bic Pens. I haven't heard of most of the brands you guys use, don't think NZ is in the cool kids club. Or I haven't looked around properly~
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Immortalized
north carolina

I've had an Ackerman pump pen with a Hunt101 nib....am I ever STOKED!!!!
I love the fine line and then the nib is soooo responsive with the slightest pressure. The ink flow is good. It is my favoritest pen.
Attached Images

http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wasilla, Alaska

Hails from United States

Thanks for the post and keeping me updated Robin. I'm most definantly going to have to get one!
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

Hi everybody,
I worked a summer or two at an amusement park drawing caricatures. What we used was really cheap markers...six for 99 cents. We soaked them in black Pelican drawing ink. Capillary action drew the black ink up into the pen reservoir- so it didn't matter the color of the original marker.
It seems like the cheaper the marker, the better the line. A new marker has a nice fine point. Later it gets to be like a brush. But if you want a fine line again, just pick up a new marker. And, Oh boy, you can sure make expressive lines.
On good summer days, I would go through five or six markers. But then, at about 15 cents a marker, it's a good deal.
Not the best, but it sure taught me to draw big, draw bold, and draw with confidence.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 PM
USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyR
Not the best, but it sure taught me to draw big, draw bold, and draw with confidence.
That is a really cool story and concept... particularly since a lot of my experience is in people seeking the pens that allow very fine lines. Your experience in the opposite direction is very intriguing!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Immortalized
north carolina

cool idea Tony......I'll give the soaking marker in ink a go.
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, Ireland.

Hails from Ireland

At present i use Graphic liners ..005 and 001. Nice and fine for detail in the Marine and abauildings etc . They are cheap , clean and Mitsubishi brand last longer than Stadatlaer. John
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzadellic
I didn't see anyone mention Rapido-graphs. They are not as convenient or easy to use as some of the disposable pens, but they are great for drawing. The main problem with them is you have to clean them regularly, before each refilling. Although I admit, I have left ink in them for over a year or two, and even with dried 2 year old ink, I was able to clean them and make them useable again....So the upside is that even if you neglect them like me, they can still be cleaned and used again. Only problem I have ever had with them is that for some reason, that I have yet to figure out, they occassionally leak a large glop of ink...which can ruin a drawing in progress. But this is very infrequent, and could possibly be caused by shaking the pen too hard (to get the ink flowing) or something. I know some professional level pen & ink artists use Rapido-Graphs exclusively, like the author of "The Technical Pen" (Gary Simmons) and his drawings are amazing. Don't let the title "technical pen" fool you, you can create beautiful art with them. That book btw I would highly recommend to any pen-and-ink artist. Anyways, i'll upload a partial drawing which I used the rapido-graph for, though you can't see the detail too well because of the pixel restrictions here on WC, I had to shrink it down to about 1/4 the scan size...

I have the set shown here with 7 pens.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz210/03/

All but one of them has dried out. I bought one of these Koh-i-noor pen cleaners http://www.dickblick.com/products/ko...r-pen-cleaner/
along with the pen cleaning concentrate but using it doesn't seem to be working on the pen tips that are dried out.

Mine have been sitting for at least a year and I noticed you said:
Quote:
even with dried 2 year old ink, I was able to clean them and make them useable again....

Can I ask what you did to clean them and make them usable again?
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasgoldengirl
I have the set shown here with 7 pens.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz210/03/

All but one of them has dried out. I bought one of these Koh-i-noor pen cleaners http://www.dickblick.com/products/ko...r-pen-cleaner/
along with the pen cleaning concentrate but using it doesn't seem to be working on the pen tips that are dried out.

Mine have been sitting for at least a year and I noticed you said:

Can I ask what you did to clean them and make them usable again?

I have several that I have had to repair over the years. I take them completely apart including the 6x0 size, though I do not recommend that you do that unless you have very steady hands. If I have one that has been setting I will let them soak in the solution for 24 hours then run them in a ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine and find that usually works. If not it will loosen it up enough for me to take them down all the way and clean them.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM

I have used all types of pens and find myself going back to the Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph, I have all the sizes they have ever made. I also have all of the size fountain pens that they made years ago. I collect them, I believe that in the newer style of pens I probably have around 150 pens. I have complete sets that go from a 6x0 through a #9. Primarily I only use the 3x0 - 6x0. Now I am trying to collect the old fountain Brushograph pens.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Arnold
I have several that I have had to repair over the years. I take them completely apart including the 6x0 size, though I do not recommend that you do that unless you have very steady hands. If I have one that has been setting I will let them soak in the solution for 24 hours then run them in a ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine and find that usually works. If not it will loosen it up enough for me to take them down all the way and clean them.

Thanks, I will try the ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine!!!
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasgoldengirl
Thanks, I will try the ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine!!!

If that does not work PM me and I may be able to help more, I have revived pens that had been dried out for 10+ years. That and I have a ton of parts.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Miami, Florida

Hails from United States

I'm always trying out new pens and have recently fallen in love with Paper Mate's Profile. It has a very smooth, even, deep black line. It's also great for shading, which allows you to create a combination of soft shades against deep black backgrounds. Beautiful.

I'm very happy to see the tips on cleaning Rapidographs. Mine dried out years ago and I didn't know how to bring them back to life. I've since used the disposable technical pens, but nothing gives you the sharpness of a Rapidograh.