WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 11:56 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kansas

Hails from United States
Re: Return to the castle

This one started with my art PC harddrive getting very noisy and one of the art table lamps dieing. So, I ended up doing a big reorganization, a visit to Ikea brought home another table and a couple of lamps. It occurred to me last night that I could try out my new set-up instead of looking at Facebook or whatever is on Youtube. So, I already had a thumbdrive with some painting ideas and a drawing board with an 18x12 inch, (46x34.5 CM) piece of Fabriano Artistico 140 HP paper already taped to it. It took just over an hour to knock out this watercolor, (yes, there is a bit of white goache). An Australian urban scene, I'm calling it "Banjos".

Obviously, I'm using sepia as a monocolor... but, then just a bit of colors on the two figures.

Comments? Dave
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Immortalized
Southern Indiana

Hails from United States

Very much like the modern look these have...

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Here is an odd idea that occurred to me. Doing it I combined elements from five photographs. It's a watercolor on 11x15 inch, (28x38 CM) Strathmore 400 140CP paper. As you sharp eyed painters will notice from the trees, these deceased vehicles are out beyond-rural Australia.

I'm calling this one "The Wizard of Auto Parts."

Have fun, I am, Dave
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

You are getting a lot of mileage out of the restricted palettes. I really like both of these but the first seems especially timeless, probably because we see a little less of the figure. Great idea for a series.

Edited because I missed the second page. More
“Banjos” is a real winner to my eye, too.

Last edited by Cedarita : 03-19-2018 at 09:54 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 09:38 PM
A Local Legend
Maryland, USA

The tonalist nature adds a feeling of classic age to the scene, like photos from years ago. Wonderful, peaceful compositions, too. They all look like nice places to hang out and catch up on one's reading.

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Looking glamorous in a frame....

-Dave
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Both excellent paintings. Only snag I can see, is the cars in the distance are the same height as the wall. But the man sitting, on the ground is higher than the wall. This would make him taller than the car while sitting on the ground next to it.
Jim
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Hi Jim:
These walls are all over Yorkshire; really centuries old. I once saw several van loads of school boys being taught how to build/repair them... in the rain. This one was on a bit of a slope, it varies in height and that's my excuse.

This is based on photos and a few plein-air pieces done at Bolton Castle. While there, sitting on a towel in wet grass a man came by and offered me a chair. A bit later he invited me into his home and displayed a fantastic collection of English watercolors. The castle is privately owned and I believe it is his but don't really know. For a small fee you can wander the castle without a guide and for a bit more have tea. It is claimed that Mary Queen of Scots was imprisioned there for a while and you can go up for a look out her window, high up around the left side in this view... above the gardens.

...and those are kinda small cars.

-Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 03-09-2019 at 07:45 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfrommerriam
Hi Jim:
These walls are all over Yorkshire; really centuries old. I once saw several van loads of school boys being taught how to build/repair them... in the rain. This one was on a bit of a slope, it varies in height and that's my excuse.

This is based on photos and a few plein-air pieces done at Bolton Castle. While there, sitting on a towel in wet grass a man came by and offered me a chair. A bit later he invited me into his home and displayed a fantastic collection of English watercolors. The castle is privately owned and I believe it is his but don't really know. For a small fee you can wander the castle without a guide and for a bit more have tea. It is claimed that Mary Queen of Scots was imprisioned there for a while and you can go up for a look out her window, high up around the left side in this view... above the gardens.

...and those are kinda small cars.

-Dave

....and he's a kinda tall man.! I have a'dry stane dike' same as this at the bottom of my garden. On the other side a field. I have helped to repair them many times.
Jim
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Hi Jim:
Those are those little English cars and he's a typical quite tall man sitting besides a 337 year old wall sinking into the sod. If the grass was dry he'd be wondering where the funnies are in his paper instead of pondering standing up soon.
-Dave
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 AM
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia

Glorious work, congrats. A pleasure to view.