WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States
Re: Off Topic - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays To all our Fellow Pastellists!

Deidre, Robert: I 'm not good enough to use them right now so I think I'll stare at them a while. But I DO like the idea of putting them on a silver platter or glass dish. Maybe later today I'll put a patch or two on paper.

Congratulations to all who received artsy goodies

~Barbara
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:12 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Off Topic - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays To all our Fellow Pastellists!

Oh yes, savor them! Something like that you've got to take your time and enjoy every moment with them along the way. You are good enough for them. You do deserve them. Keep telling yourself this as you set them out in a beautiful arrangement on a little silver or crystal dish.

Maybe take a photo of them as a still life arrangement! Why not?

The very first patch tests are always a lot of fun too. They give you a good idea of what you've got and how to use it. Lovely colors you bought. Perfect for all those snow scenes in the Spotlight too. I'm looking forward to what you do with them.

Also frustrated and looking forward to my packages that haven't come yet. Don't know how long I should let it wait before calling Blick to tell them the package went awry, send another. Might call them today to give them a head's up about it.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

"Maybe take a photo of them as a still life arrangement! Why not? "

What a great idea! Thanks!!

~Barbara
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I found out what the delay was, they're here. All three packages arrived after te holiday, should have realized FedEx and the post office weren't delivering on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. Delayed but intact, everything's fine. Need to check the papers box today to be sure all the colors are there, was too tired to open it yesterday.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
I will start a thread when they arrive and try out the coarser Uart 400 paper which is supposed to be more like Wallis. IT'll be fun. I have lots of 500, 600 and 800 too so I think Uart is my relax and use it sanded paper.

What is the advantage of using coarser paper? I would think it would eat up the pastels quickly. I have some of the UArt 800 but haven't had time to use it yet.

I rec'd a sample pack of Pastel Premier in 3 grits: 320, 400, 600 The 320 feels like something I'd use to sand furniture. LOL The 400 feels really coarse, too.

~Barbara
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2015, 06:57 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Coarser grit allows more layers, the tooth is deeper. You can layer and layer, get different effects with it. That's what Wallis is so great for.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

Thank you for the information. I won't let the fear of scraped knuckles stop me. LOL

~Barbara
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

Henri Roche in Bavarian China

~Barbara
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

The main thing with coarse sanded paper is no finger blending. It was good for me to quit blending everything to death switching over to using sanded papers. Blending with sticks works very well on them and gets soft edges just as beautiful, after a certain number of layers it goes just as smooth.

Ooooh love your Roche' pastels in Bavarian China! That is so elegant! Gorgeous! That needs to be a painting! The colors are so close too, you could almost paint the design on the china using those pastels. It's a wonderful arrangement.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 01-06-2015 at 12:31 AM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Barbara, I did NOT pause at your post and write down the numbers from those beautiful pastels. And they look so special on the Bavarian dish. I have a chocolate pot that matches that dish so, naturally, I have to buy those pastels to match the pot, right? Right?
I got the half stick set of roche' in blues and violets for Christmas and the Girault McKinley landscape. And pans in metal and pearl. I guess I was very good girl this year.
Deirdre, enjoy the new babies. So much fun.
Happy 2015 everyone.

JAY

Last edited by Still-trying : 01-06-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Thoughts
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

Robert: I never thought of painting the design with the pastel sticks! Thanks. And thank you for explaining the qualities of the more coarse sanded paper. I have only a small piece of the 400 (more on the way) but big enough to try out the Roches with the dish.

Jay: I inherited the dish when my mom died, along with other beautiful pieces which may find their way into future artwork.

~Barbara
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Personally I prefer to use 500 to 800 in sanded papers...400 is borderline and eats pastels quickly....lower grades even more so...I certainly wouldn't use expensive pastels on 400!

Also...use only light pressure to blend...otherwise you'll add too much DNA!

....the mail man hasn't arrived yet with either my Maggie Price greys or my large Dakota box, but I live in hope!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images

Last edited by *Deirdre* : 01-06-2015 at 01:33 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2015, 02:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

I look forward to seeing them, Barbara
Deirdre, hope the package arrives PDQ. You have the cutest little cartoon things on your page.

JAY
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

Thanks for the tips on the sanded paper. I hope you got your packages of goodies, Diedre

~Barbara