Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting A commission of Eowyn before the Witch King of Angmar

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Lon Reams

This commission was a very different one for me. I generally stick to landscapes, but when a client asked me to paint her favorite character from Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings I jumped at the chance. Here is Eowyn confronting the Witch King of Angmar, Lord of the Nazgul upon the battlefield before the walls of Gondor. (I didn’t use the movies as a reference.)

It’s personally one of my favorite scenes in the novel. Eowyn standing defiantly before the wraith that just killed her uncle, King Theoden. She’s wracked with fear, sadness and anger all at once.

The Witch King warns her, “No Man can kill me.”

Then she takes off her helmet, golden hair in the wind and proclaims that he looks upon a woman.

Titled I Am No Man.

18×24 Oil on Panel.

I had no model so I cobbled her together from about 20 reference photos. The battlefield, strewn with dead orcs, burns as the wind which carries the ships up the Anduin fans the flames, smoke and dust of war.

I enjoyed this one, as I was able to be more free in my brush strokes in the battlefield behind her. Also, I added the Nazgul’s reflection in her shield. I wanted the painting to be about her, but still couldn’t resist slipping him in there.

Detail of the shield reflection

Amian3d

That reflection is awesome! Your composition is very strong. I like her defiant stance.

Lon Reams

That reflection is awesome! Your composition is very strong. I like her defiant stance.

Thank you so much. I’d love to do more fantasy work between landscape commissions!

TWAdair Art

YES! I love lord of the rings! Great painting!

I love that scene too…. awesome work!

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Raichu

Ooh. Warriors, I like it. Looks really good. That cape and the meaningful detail on the reflection are the high points for me.

Instagram <- recent stuff [URL=https://www.artstation.com/bsouzap"]Artstation[/URL] [URL=https://baghe.deviantart.com/"]Deviantart[/URL]

Lon Reams

Thank you for the wonderful compliments!

Tylor and Jessica, I’ve loved The Lord of the Rings since I first read it in high school, (and I’m now 50!) And this particular scene still gets me misty eyed when I read it, which is quite often!

I started reading Tolkien to my son when he was old enough to be interested (around 4yo) every night before bed. He’s now 12 and I still to this day read it to him every single night. He’s not too old to think it’s “uncool” for his old man to read to him, and says he never will be. I’m glad!

Lon Reams

Ooh. Warriors, I like it. Looks really good. That cape and the meaningful detail on the reflection are the high points for me.

Thank you! I really enjoyed painting her cloak. Tolkien talks of the people of Rohan being fierce hunters so I thought it very appropriate for her to be wearing a cloak of thick wolf fur.

equinespirit

Well you certainly pulled that off! great work.

Dcam
                                        Lon Reams

Well you certainly pulled that off! great work.

Thank you, very much.

Your jewelry and equestrian art are magnificent!

Lon Reams

Excellent skills shown here Lon. Super rendering.

Thank you, Derek. I truly appreciate it.

sea dangler

Excellent work Lon,I must confess as an 80 year old,that i have never read or viewed Lord of the Rings.
                                                    Dave

Lon Reams

Excellent work Lon,I must confess as an 80 year old,that i have never read or viewed Lord of the Rings.
                                                        Dave

Thank you!

And not to worry, I won’t hold it against you. 😀

But if you do decide to, I suggest the books. The movies are excellent but have a very different feel to them. And obviously leave out whole chapters.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.