WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
I have been putting finishing touches on the first few of the small pieces for December. And I am thinking I should get an earlier start on the homestead ruins so I can promote it before the Santa Monica show in January.
Homestead Ruins is interesting photo ref to start a painting. Did you mention before how big are you planning to paint it? Also interesting the time frame you are planning to get the project done. Sounds very little time for me but you are hard working and fast painter, I think. Im reading this with interest also because I started quite a big painting recently with an idea to enter it to a gallery along with a group of artists. I still have many months to get it done, so Im not yet in trouble with it. Im doing from life and partly from a photo ref and its still life. Anyway, your show in January in Santa Monica sounds like a good place to have an exhibition with wealthy buyers. Good luck with the Dec exhibition too.

Becca, I hope your plans for vacation are going well and I hope you get to go. I just returned from beach with palm trees and it was wonderful.

Annie, you asked about pet stores here. This weekend we went to the beach and found a good pet store there. There are not many but if you search you are able to find one or two. The pet store owner had a cat in the store, a very nice one. Muffin was grumpy with the cat but thats nothing new. We found food, litter and a very good clothes, a raincoat, in case of cold weather early in the morning or at night outside.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Wondered where you were...but guessed things came up.

Ah well, you know, Moansday.

Moscatel, a day at the beach sounds delightful! A day at a Spanish beach, ¡Muy Hermosa!

Sorolla's beach scenes are some of my all time favorite paintings.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

.. Marcia ... I wish I could paint like Sorolla ..

Photo from today. I like this beach because it has several palm tree groups all over the beach - like oases.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2018, 04:21 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Have spent the past few days dealing with the cRA and tonight talking to my bank...so good came of that, and I realized I had a favourable option...In the end however I'm somewhat disenchanted that the high end professionals I'v been paying a load of money.... hoping in the end it sorts out.

by the way, my getaway is to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico...hope my three nights there are rejuvenating...

Most, the beach looks great...

Sorolla died of a stroke after a long world tour exhibit and then commissions...he was paralyzed for 3 years before the actual passing...lessons to be learned I guess...I love his work too.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 PM
A WC! Legend

Beautiful Beach! What does Muffin think of the ocean?

Becca, glad you had some 'favorable' news.

I did a load of bookkeeping this morning, picked up a large bag of grapefruit from a friend, and they were very ripe, so I juiced them right away. Did some graphics work, and now work a little on another side job, because there is little time for anything else before I make myself a greyhound and let the cats run around the yard before dark-thirty.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Marcia...feel a little better today...

hope your day ends out well...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2018, 03:59 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Becca, WOW .. you must go .. I truly hope you manage to go! It will be wonderful.

Marcia, she has doubts about ocean but she does take a paw bath there . Now off season the pets can go walk to the beach. We are companied by many dogs always.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:27 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Mosc...I will be going, only a very short trip...3 nights there....night prior Ill be at an airport hotel here to help ensure I'm on my early flight out...I think just the change of scenery and focus will be good even for only a few days...

Glad you are enjoying Spain...looks amazing...and glad Muffin is social enough to be your companion...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:10 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

I'll bet Watching Muffin take her paw bath is adorable! And it is nice that pets are allowed on the beach in the off season. I got to take my dog to the beach once, he loved pouncing on the waves and trying to bite them.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I'm very busy, so this will be brief, but I wanted to say hi to everyone.

Marcia, that ruin looks like it's begging to be painted. Can't wait to see it! I'd love to hear more about that Santa Monica show - wow...it sounds like quite an opportunity!

I love all the Caturday/Halloween kitty pics! Mary, no love seat for you!

mosc, I'm glad you found a pet store! What a wonderful beach - those palm trees are so beautiful. At first I didn't see Muffin in the photo, but followed the leash and there she was! Love the "paw bath"comment. Have you or do you plan to paint the beach? I'd love to see the large painting you're working on.

Becca, lots of ups and downs still with you, I see. But it sounds like things are finally moving forward. Good! A vacation sounds lovely. I don't want to worry you but I thought you should be aware of this: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/29/t...un-safety.html
The State Dept. issued a warning to be cautious because of troubles due to gangs, but it didn't say anything to indicate tourists should not go. I know you've said how much you really need that vacation so I debated whether I should mention anything...I hope this doesn't worry you. It sounds like just being aware is all that's really needed. Take lots of photos to show us and have a terrific time!

Pearl had been getting extraordinarily fussy about her wet food, refusing it if it wasn't absolutely fresh - I use small cans, but divide them into three servings - or was too hot or too cold (as a freshness measure, I've been putting the cans in the freezer and then warming them in the microwave).So I started putting bonito flakes (which are expensive) in her food. But then she decided she wouldn't eat anything unless it had been doctored with a substantial amount of bonito flakes! So I stopped feeding her wet food and only fed dry for two weeks. She was very grumpy and whiny for two weeks, but now she eats her wet food without complaint and seems happy again. I'm also making sure to do at least a short play session before feeding the wet food, as it seems to increase her appetite. Such a prima donna!

Has anyone heard from Nancy? I don't think she's posted in this new-ish thread, has she?

Ah well...not so brief after all.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 11-08-2018 at 11:30 AM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2018, 12:04 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks for your concern Annie..but that warning is a year old and I'll be spending all my time at the hotel as it is so brief anyway....it is a gorgeous well situated high end hotel so no worries at all..and I have transportation arranged to and from the airport as well...will be rejuvenating....

as for moving forward, not happening yet...closer maybe, but lost a full 6 months due to error..and it wasn't mine! and in the process of evaluating the current situation discovered something that may cause yet another big delay in 2019...possibly dragging it all to 2021 for resolution... :/

Glad you are staying busy...and having fun with Pearl...

Have not heard from Nancy...but have wondered about her too...hope she is just busy painting
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:34 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I was out of touch on a trip, and I should never miss reading the Oily Rag!!!

Marcia
, I'm eager to see your painting of the old west! I was also excited by the oil on paper idea, and look forward to seeing it. I had to search for the more solid paper to paint on, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Mosc, that beach scene is to die for. I live in the middle of the US, and seldom see big stretches of sand and water, but I love them anyway. My daughter lives close to the Atlantic, but I haven't visited her in years...maybe i need to go up there.

Becca, I wish I had been busy painting, but I have not. Driving and painting don't mix well...

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy...where did you go? for pleasure or mischief?
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2018, 10:34 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

They 'enhanced' the lobby with a new art display...

Name:  'art'.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  146.7 KB

seriously a cheap trick of putting colour on black...plus, all but one look like a bunch of penises.....agh!!! the last is simply 'little boxes'....but I guess if all you want is something to match your sofa there you go....I don't dislike all abstract work, have some friends that do it, but this is some of the worst I'v seen....
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Missouri USA

Hails from United States

What platforms do you guys use to promote your work online?