Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture What various materials I can use for casting my stone carvings?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tedrex

Hi guys,
        I started stone carving and I would like to know what I can use to cast my carvings. I tried Cement mixed with sand but I didn’t like the result, also they came quite heavy.
        Is there anything else I can use? Anything I can mix with cement? Or maybe instead of cement, I can use Resins. Looking for something which can be preferably light and cheap to make, similar to those garden ornaments.

Thank you.

see pictures here.

selectedgrub

Are you try to make mold?

Tedrex

Are you try to make mold?

No, I am looking for what to use for the mold. You know, once you have your mold, you fill it with some sort of mixture to get a copy. Like cement and sand, or plaster, but in my case I am looking for an alternative to this, just like what they have used in this pictures above.

ArtsyLynda

Go to Smooth-on.com. They make mold material and a wide variety of casting materials. Then look at sculpt.com (The Compleat Sculptor – and yes, the spelling is right), arizonasculpture.com and sculpturehouse.com. Those are all good suppliers of sculpture, mold-making and casting materials.

There’s something I’ve heard of called Hydrostone that is supposed to look like stone and not be too hard to cast. You might look for that – similar materials will probably be on the same page.

Be sure you decide on what you’re going to cast before you make your mold. Some things require silicon molds, others prefer plaster (to draw off water).

Good luck!

Tedrex

@ ArtsyLynda

Thank you, this is much appreciated. This is a wealth of information about all that I wanted to know. Thank you again! :-)

ArtsyLynda

Glad I could help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.