Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Repair Advice for 80 Yr Old Painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MarkHanfland

I recently purchased an expensive painting from the 1930s which has some unusual issues on the surface that I am unsure what to do about. I have attached pictures. There appears to be some light purple oil paint or something similar which doesn’t belong in the sky. I don’t want to damage it further, but it leaving it certainly detracts from the painting. Any advice is appreciated.

Humbaba

Taking this painting to a professional Restorer could cost a lot of money, repainting the offending area could be the most simplistic solution. The first step is to take as many high quality pictures as possible, including details using functions such as Macro (used in digital pictures).

The main reason to do this is to have a reference just in case something goes wrong.

MarkHanfland

Thank you, it appears that a small amount of inpainting would fix it, but I am hesitant to do that if it would decrease the value. I tried to remove it with a a q-tip with small amount of mineral spirits to no avail. I am also concerned about inpainting near crackling in the white.

JCannon

Well, major art museums coat a damaged work with a removable varnish and then use watercolor to paint or repaint small sections. It’s all reversible. I don’t think that the London “Madonna of the Rocks” is worth any less for having undergone this process.

An expensive painting needs professional repairs by someone with professional training/certification. Given it isn’t an old master’s work of art, it may not be as expensive as one might think. If you decide to go this route, ask to see some of their repairs. If you end up with more damage than you are seeing now it would “devalue” your work of art.

Angel :angel:
                    Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                    http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

AnnieA

I am only speculating here, but perhaps there are schools teaching art conservation skills where students need to practice what they’ve learned. If so, going that route would be riskier than taking it to a seasoned professional, but perhaps less risky than trying to do it yourself.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                        [FONT=Palatino]
                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Humbaba

Thank you, it appears that a small amount of inpainting would fix it, but I am hesitant to do that if it would decrease the value. I tried to remove it with a a q-tip with small amount of mineral spirits to no avail. I am also concerned about inpainting near crackling in the white.

Mineral spirits cannot dissolve dried oil paint. Be careful trying to do things by yourself, if you decide to move forward, read and practice first to avoid this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8wCXeE-cD4

Raffless

Just because its 80 years doesn’t make it valuable?? But when you purchased it why didn’t you notice the damage is more pertinent a question. If it was an online sale and they hid the damage then you can claim compensation.

JCannon

I think there are many situations in which a painting is worthy of preservation but not pricey enough to justify the cost of professional conservation. I like the idea of using a student’s services. But if such a student cannot be found, then I see no reason not to DIY, as long as you make sure that everything you do is reversible.

In the end, it’s a very personal choice. How much did you spend on the work? How much do you LIKE the work? What is your personal budget? What is your skill level? How willing are you to study the correct methods?

This page provides a pretty good place to start.

Pinguino

I see that the OP is a new member, who apparently came here specifically to ask this question.

Be aware that Wet Canvas is not primarily a hangout for art restorers. There are other web sites related to art restoration organizations. You might ask there.

Richard P

I would ask this question on the MITRA forum:
                                            https://www.artcons.udel.edu/mitra/forums

Freesail

Just because its 80 years doesn’t make it valuable?? But when you purchased it why didn’t you notice the damage is more pertinent a question. If it was an online sale and they hid the damage then you can claim compensation.

I couldn’t agree more. These were my first thoughts.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)

I suspect it’s over painted minor damage that’s changed colour with time and now of course no longer matches the original paint. The damaged areas, probably scratches, would most likely been much smaller than the over paint. A practice that’s no longer recommended by restorers. If it’s been done with standard oil paint and been dried for some years, then it will be almost impossible for a non professional to remove without damaging the original paint, under and around it. Indeed even a professional will find it problematic.
                                                The easiest thing to do would be to gently over paint, the over paint with a greener blue in watercolour paint or a restorers removable varnish paint. Try a dummy run first on a reproduction of the damaged blue area on another surface for better colour matching and paint handling when it comes to the actual thing. If you can’t manage the fake run, perhaps you should leave it up to someone else.

insert pithy comment here.

Hamburgefions

You can’t go wrong if you do this:

– First take off the visible dust and varnish your painting with a removable varnish.

– Retouch (repaint) the spots with a mixture of the same varnish and dry color pigment (mixed). You have to do this very carefully, because you can’t wipe it off if you are wrong.

If there should be any difference in dullness (I don’t think so), you can apply another layer of varnish with spray can. Not a brush because it would dissolve your retouched area.

MarkHanfland

Thank you for all the advice. I ended up in-painting with oils, it worked very well. I was fortunate because there was not a varnish already on the painting. For anyone who does this, you have to thinly paint non damaged areas around the damaged ones in order to get the mix correct. Otherwise the repair will be conspicuous. The old paint is simply impossible to match exactly in different lighting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.