Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Placed Order with Art Treehouse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    WFMartin

As you may already know, Art Treehouse, in Madison, WI, is my “go-to” place for Oil of Spike, and Canada Balsam.

This time when I placed my order, I also ordered the following items, mostly because the prices seem quite reasonable, and I wanted to try a couple of different drying oils.

I ordered my usual Oil of Spike Lavender, and Canada Balsam. But, I also ordered some of their Water-Washed Linseed Oil, and Water-Washed Walnut Oil.

I ordered a package of 20 lb picture-haning wire, and a palette pad.

Art Treehouse also offers several of their oil paint colors, so I ordered a tube of their Art Treehouse White. It is a combination of several pigments, but mostly Titanium White, and its binder is Walnut Oil.

When I try that white for the first time, I’ll let everyone know my opinion about it.

I recommend Art Treehouse highly, and Robert Maynord, the owner is a wonderful person with whom to conduct business.:thumbsup:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Forestgrass

Thank you for this information. Nice website. Looking forward to hearing about the Treehouse White.

Nice information. Thanks. This subject is not likely to develop a forum, so if I am not out of line, I would like to make a shift, and to expand your experiences with spike lavender oil.:clap:

WFMartin

I received my order from Art Treehouse today, and it arrived in very good condition. The water-washed Linseed, and Walnut Oils smell good enough to EAT! I just tried the Art Treehouse Titanium White, that has a Walnut Oil binder, to discover that it is quite wonderful, and very comparable to M. Graham’s Titanium White. It behaved very well on my palette, and my brush.

All in all…..very good material!

JCannon

Thanks for letting us know about this. I’m really curious to learn about how well the water-washed linseed oil and walnut oil works in action — in particular, drying rates.

Also, has anyone actually tried the Art Treehouse bio-based solvent? It’s non-flammable…

joshuaw

I was also curious about their washed oils. If they compared at all to my results with washing linseed oil, or if they exhibit any of the magical properties we sometimes hear about from the Spurgeon disciples. Would you mind doing a yellowing test? (I’m 99.9% sure it’ll be the same as any other comparable linseed or walnut oil in that regard, but an ounce of me is still curious to find some amount of truth in the hype). If it’s anything like my washed oil, it should dry faster than alkali refined, and be really flexible.

WFMartin

I was also curious about their washed oils. If they compared at all to my results with washing linseed oil, or if they exhibit any of the magical properties we sometimes hear about from the Spurgeon disciples. Would you mind doing a yellowing test? (I’m 99.9% sure it’ll be the same as any other comparable linseed or walnut oil in that regard, but an ounce of me is still curious to find some amount of truth in the hype). If it’s anything like my washed oil, it should dry faster than alkali refined, and be really flexible.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Part of me says all this “water-washed” hype is nonsense, but another part of me has my curiosity piqued, wondering if there might be some small, insignificant characteristic that may actually improve the handling. I truly don’t expect the durability, or archival integrity to be much different, actually. And, fast-drying is not one of my priorities.

However, those two oils smell good enough to EAT! ! !:lol: :lol:

Jesse Waugh

How did the water-washed linseed oil work out? I visited an artist who had some and it does feel different to the touch. He swore by it – said it has the perfect consistency. It’s apparently also the same as the “sun oil” being promoted as the original oil Velasquez etc. used. Wondering how it performs.

WFMartin

How did the water-washed linseed oil work out? I visited an artist who had some and it does feel different to the touch. He swore by it – said it has the perfect consistency. It’s apparently also the same as the “sun oil” being promoted as the original oil Velasquez etc. used. Wondering how it performs.

Well, I have to be honest with everyone here. As yet, I have not tried the Water-Washed Linseed, and Walnut Oils. I have been using up my remaining Grumbacher, and Winsor & Newton Linseed Oils, as well as M. Graham’s Walnut Oil, all of which I’ve been using for years.

I am now running low on those drying oils of mine, so eventually I will be switching over to the Water-Washed Oils. But, I intend to mix those new oils right “on top” of the existing mediums that I have been mixing up, so I will be experiencing their effects rather gradually, as they slowly replace the older oils in my mixed mediums.

Regarding The Art Treehouse White, I am noticing that it tends to be a bit more “long” in its viscosity, than the M. Graham which I had been using. I am now using The Art Treehouse White exclusively, and I’ve found it to be a bit “ropey, and” more like hand-mulled Lead Carbonate paint. I consider that characteristic to be a very GOOD thing!

NancyMP

Bill, I’m glad you mentioned it again here. I need to order some of the Oil of Spike and Canada Balsam, which I intended to re-order when you were still working on the blossoms.

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                                        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

koumk

VFMartin I think you are a very good advertizer of treehouse firm…… :wink2:

Kostas

Jesse Waugh

Well, I have to be honest with everyone here. As yet, I have not tried the Water-Washed Linseed, and Walnut Oils. I have been using up my remaining Grumbacher, and Winsor & Newton Linseed Oils, as well as M. Graham’s Walnut Oil, all of which I’ve been using for years.

I am now running low on those drying oils of mine, so eventually I will be switching over to the Water-Washed Oils. But, I intend to mix those new oils right “on top” of the existing mediums that I have been mixing up, so I will be experiencing their effects rather gradually, as they slowly replace the older oils in my mixed mediums.

Regarding The Art Treehouse White, I am noticing that it tends to be a bit more “long” in its viscosity, than the M. Graham which I had been using. I am now using The Art Treehouse White exclusively, and I’ve found it to be a bit “ropey, and” more like hand-mulled Lead Carbonate paint. I consider that characteristic to be a very GOOD thing!

I’m wondering if the “long” of their White is due to them using water-washed walnut oil?

Gigalot

I’m wondering if the “long” of their White is due to them using water-washed walnut oil?

May be…May be..or the “long” of their White is just due to Aluminum Stearate using! :confused:

Jesse Waugh

May be…May be..or the “long” of their White is just due to Aluminum Stearate using! :confused:

Hence my question Gigalot.

Papercut

I am now running low on those drying oils of mine, so eventually I will be switching over to the Water-Washed Oils. But, I intend to mix those new oils right "on top" of the existing mediums that I have been mixing up, so I will be experiencing their effects rather gradually, as they slowly replace the older oils in my mixed mediums.

Regarding The Art Treehouse White, I am noticing that it tends to be a bit more "long" in its viscosity, than the M. Graham which I had been using. I am now using The Art Treehouse White exclusively, and I’ve found it to be a bit "ropey, and" more like hand-mulled Lead Carbonate paint. I consider that characteristic to be a very GOOD thing!

Bump! Need more feedback on this excellent White. Also, no Aluminum Stearate (at least according them): https://www.arttreehouse.com/store/content/treehouse-white-artist-colour

For those doing BFA in Uni- you should double major in a money generating degree program. Just in case. Otherwise you could be wasting a great deal of your time and your (and other's) money.
                                                            I have an BA (Sinology) and MBA that I acquired after my BFA. I should have done my BA concurrently with my BFA. Oh well, too late for me, but maybe not for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.