WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France
Re: Self portrait

Well, it seems you're right about the false Mungyo !
The difference between the right and left samples on your photo is obvious !

I've already tried to scrap, you know ! :-(
A kind of micro layer made of wax remains and I can't add any color then : it's as if I was putting wax (for furniture) on a plastic surface !
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Hails from Russian Federation

I see :/
Oh, I would really like to let you try the better quality ones, I think you'd fall in love with oil pastels! By the way, many art supply stores have open stock oil pastels, maybe you could go to one and try Van Gogh and Sakura Expressionist (I think they should sell these brands) or even Mungyo Gallery (no idea if it's sold in stores in Europe). If you try it, at least you will feel the difference yourself and hopefull you would like to come back to oil pastels some time
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

Do you think if I buy a couple of real artist OP like the ones you say I'll be able to finish my portrait ? For instance, a dark flesh and a sepia...will they layer on my aborted portrait above without problem ? If so, I'll buy some in open stock, for sure !!!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Yes, the soft ones always layer well over the hard ones. It's like fat over lean in oils. I am not sure if just two colors will be enough, but yeah, it's a beautiful portrait that doesn't deserve to be abandoned...

I wonder which ones are sold open stock in France except for Senneliers? The Senneliers are pricey and literally soft like a lipstick (or like hardened oil paint maybe) - sometimes it makes them hard for beginners (I've bought some and I struggle with them, but they are no problem for the final touches). Van Goghs are noticeably harder than Sennelier and are easier to control.
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

I had a look at the internet site of the 3 physical shops in the town near where I live, and they only have Sennelier and Néopastel by Caran-d'Ache in open stock (provided their sites are exhaustive). They are about 2 euros per stick.

I think 2 colors very well chosen will suffice to finish this portrait, or perhaps 3, but no more.

As soon as I can I'll go to my favorite shop, with my unfinished portrait, to buy some. They know me, and most of that, there are at least 2 ladies there who know a lot in painting, pastels, etc.
By the way, I had to go to buy basic gesso because I ran out of it, so I'll take the OP at the same time.

Thank you for having given me this good idea !
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Frederique - Since you're going to pick up a few artist grade OP's, you might also consider a workable fixative spray. You could likely get at least enough of your current OP brand over what you've done if you could give it some "tooth," which the workable fixative spray provides.

There are many tools in our arsenal to get the job done!

Both the Sennelier and Neopastel are smooth, creamy OP's and would glide right over your harder layers. Whichever you select, you will have an instant appreciation for higher grades.

Good luck!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Frederique, that's great, we'll be looking forward to seeing your finished portrait and hearing about your impressions of artist grade OPs!

PS: just in case: jackson's art is a very good website for art supplies, if you later need some OPs, they have lots of stuff and also open stock Senns and Neopastels.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

Thank you Terri ! Another good idea.
The main problem is that I can't find a WORKABLE fixative !
I asked 2 of the shops a month ago, and both answered they had never heard about such a thing (?????)
They only have definitive (aka non workable) fixatives.

Do you thing it would do the job nevertheless ?
Some people even use hair spray, but I would be afraid to mute the colors !
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

Thank you Mira, but when it's possible I prefer to go to "physical" shops. When it's possible !
I'll let you know how it turns, but you'll have to wait a couple of weeks before I can go to town and buy these materials ! :-)
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

YEEEEEESSSS !
I've found a "universal fixative spray" forgotten in my cupboard and sprayed the portrait. I probably bought this spray for color pencils or perhaps soft pastels, and I had completely forgotten I had it...

It's not supposed to be a "workable" fixative, but in fact IT WORKS for this purpose !

I let the portrait dry about 1 hour and tried to work on it with the OP, and tada, here is the result (of course it's far from being finished yet, but you can see the difference !)

First one without flash, second with flash (the real shades are between the 2 :-D )

Links to bigger sizes pictures :
https://i25.servimg.com/u/f25/11/02/40/00/dscf1212.jpg
https://i25.servimg.com/u/f25/11/02/40/00/dscf1213.jpg

Last edited by Frederique : 12-16-2019 at 08:37 AM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Great!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 10:05 AM

Your self portrait turned out beautiful!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

Thanks Christel and Maria !
A lot to do yet to improve the likeness : I see I made several mistakes with the forehead, the left eye, the right eyebrow, etc.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

This turned out beautifully! Glad this fixative worked for you and helped with the process. That's what matters at the end of the day, right?

I love it when I find materials and supplies stuffed away in a closet that can be brought out and made useful. In your other thread, I left a photo of 2 different brands of fix, just in case you want to pick anything up in the future.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

I replied on the other thread