WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Hails from Russian Federation
Re: Second painting using oil pastels. Finished

Frederique, now I can tell you for sure these are not artist grade. First, the artist grade color numbers go from 201 up to 272. Then, if you see this ARTISTS' OIL PASTELS text, it's the same student grade, just like on my pictures, but with slightly different wrappers. Your struggles with these OPs also prove they are ordinary student grade.

But oh my, you produce such beautiful work even with those ones! Really good details. I know other people who do beautiful works with student grade OPs, one of them is our Christel

So it's up to your choice, maybe you are okay with these once, or maybe you'd like to try something that is easier to work with.

So you live in France, where you can get Sennelier and Neopastels, but these are very expensive! Mungyo Gallery should be easy to order on Amazon. I can find the right link (or at least a photo with the correct OP box) for you.

What else? Van Goghs are not bad (especially on better paper), and maybe they are available open stock over there (60 colors in the full set)? Sakura Expressionist are not bad either (48 colors the biggest set). Faber-Castell and Staedtler are about the same quality as your currect OPs, so don't mind them. Pentel Oil Pastels are a little better than student grade Mungyos (in my opinion), they are very good for the cheap price, but still they are far from artist grade...

If you can get either artist grade Mungyo Gallery, Van Gogh or Sakura Cray-Pas Expressionist, go for it. Check the prices, they vary from country to country. And there might be Christmas discounts
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 02:54 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

Ah ok, thank you Mira ! I got ripped off, so !

I'm glad they weren't expensive, but I don't think I'll try another order for the while !

In french we say "chat échaudé craint l'eau froide" (= a cat who burnt himself with hot water even fears cold water)

I was thinking keeping these OP for background or to sketch on the canvas before painting (in oils), and I'm considering to turn back to soft pastels. It's been a loooong time since I drew with this medium, and I'd give them another try I think.

Thank you again for your help !
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Hails from Russian Federation

Yeah, unfortunately cheap OPs often mean inconvenience

I have heard of similar proverbs in other languages too

These OPs are okay for the preliminary sketch on canvas before painting with oils. I don't paint with oils, but I have heard any OPs will do for this purpose. Oh, please don't give up on oil pastels, you do such nice works! And unlike soft pastels, oil pastels produce no dust... and they are not that fragile
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 03:12 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

You're so kind, Mira, but I'm going to take a break from OP. It does not mean for ever !
Love from France !
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Good to know what type of op's you are struggling with. You've done great until now. I learnt using these op's by painting on sandpaper from the harware store,200grit. There you DON"T blend with fingers!

Another great paper to learn is brown paper, thick, strong and enough texture to allow lots of op's.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 05:06 AM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

Ahhhh !! Christel, your bird is gorgeous !

Good news for me, I found a fixative spray (universal fixative for Pencils, Pastels, Fusain, it says) in my cupboard !
So I'm going to try it on my "abandonned" self portrait - see the other thread - and see if I can add more layers then.

Of course I let you know
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Thanks. Glad you found the fixative!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France
Talking Re: Second painting using oil pastels. Finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanny
Thanks. Glad you found the fixative!

Yes, far away in the darkness of my cupboard (a huge cupboard :-D )
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Ah, I have been suspecting that you were using the student grade Mungyos, but there is nothing to be done about it now. When you understand that part of the battle is the quality of the medium, it's easier to just hunt for a paper that works better with them. And you are getting to know what to expect from them, having played with them more, so that also helps.

Glad you found a fixative, though it is likely not a "workable" fix if it doesn't specify. Still, you can likely paint right over it and still get the extra "tooth" that is needed for layering with these op's.

Here are the two that I use the most. I have certainly sprayed the Sennelier brand (on the right side) in between layers of OP, on occasion - despite the label that claims it's for a final covering. The Krylon brand on the left is definitely meant as an "in-between" spray, not a final coat. But I'm not certain it matters in the long run.

You mentioned hairspray (in another thread, I think?) as a substitute. I'm not convinced that it wouldn't hurt the art in the long run, since it's simply not designed for that use.

Just wanted to show you a couple different brands, so you are armed with this information the next time you're in one of your art supply stores.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

Hi Terri ! Thanks ! I totally agree with your opinion about "hair spray" : to avoid I think.
I know the Sennelier fixative yes.

I'm not sure "workable" really means something, as mine seems to be very workable, despite it's not written on the spray.

Perhaps in France all such fixatives are quite or very workable without saying it ? It might explain the fact that nobody in the 2 shops here where I asked had never heard about the a thing (as the "workable fixative", I mean).

Mine is this one : https://www.dalbe.fr/5992-large_defa...50ml-wingo.jpg
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Yes, I see your label - it does indicate it is a universal fixative, and I agree that the word "workable" may not indicate much of anything. The Senn spray is advised to use after completion of an op painting, about 2 weeks after or so. It comes out in a nice fine mist, and leaves a bit of a tacky feel. The Krylon is not so fine a mist, but performs about the same. Both can be painted over.

Happy you were able to complete your paintings! It could be that with the fixative, you may feel encouraged to try more op paintings, play with other papers while you use your Mungyos.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2019, 04:26 AM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France

Hi Terri, of course ! Since I've found a mean to add a sufficient number of layers, for sure I'm going to continue using OP.

Last night I began another portrait, I'll post it in another thread.