WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 02:00 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: Abstract art

Lovely abstract, Claude! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how your painting was 'born'. It helps to teach a realist artist(me) to think in abstract forms and lines.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

I enjoy creating Abstract Expressionist art - Blue Poles is a well known example.

Some art friends call it my weird stuff. I can see why but i still enjoy creating.

This one firmed as planks on a pier, surrounded by shops and houses in an industrial town. With my pristine bit of the world nowhere in sight.

AbEx is not supposed/expexted to have a story.

I analysed this after the event... Makes sense to me m

"Art from the heart. That's what I do."
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenieJo
AbEx is not supposed/expexted to have a story.
I don't know if I agree with this. I think I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a lack of story, because that implies to me a lack of thought. Everything I do has a story or an emotion or some kind of point to make, even if it's only visible to me. Otherwise it's just...random marks. It doesn't mean anything.

But then, I suppose art doesn't have to mean anything for others just because it has to mean something for me!

Last edited by SarahY : 08-08-2019 at 11:53 AM.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

I like this, Jennie. As always, you come up with interesting designs, and very expressive palettes, full of color. Nice!

The story/no story argument in art has long been debated, I believe. I tend towards wanting to see a story, or feel an emotion, so I am more in that school of thought.

However, I had a professor in Art Appreciation who, as an exercise, made us take paper and dangle pencils, inks, crayons, whatever could leave a mark, over the paper and leave it outside for the wind to carry. Then those marks were supposed to equate somehow to nonrepresentational abstract art. But I found it very unsatisfying, not really "art" at all since it was left up to the wind. No human touch was involved.

There's also ephemeral art, some kind of fleeting marks that are known to fade or be otherwise transitory. What's the point? But this kind of thinking does exist.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
In the wrong century.

Hails from United States

I think working from an intentional, carefully laid out plan, or story, or definite idea, is something we as artists struggle to get away from. We want our paintings to come from a deeper place, from dreams, the subconscious, the subliminal, from meditation, the long sought after left brain, the matrix, Whatever works for us. This applies to music and writing as well as painting. One of my best paintings was done after just coming home from heart surgery, still loaded with pain medicine and and residual anesthesia. In ICU I kept seeing paintings in my mind I would never have though of consciously. How can an artist explain paintings from these places? We're as much at a loss to explain them as any random viewer, sometimes we try to reason something out to satisfy the questions, but it's just not where the painting came from. I've had a hard time painting lately, the visions are just in short supply, and while "pictures of things" are easy, and easy to understand, and easy to explain, they are unsatisfying. So thats why artist's don't like to explain their work.
-Floyd
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

An abstract sketch. No story for this one. Opinions around breakfast table: 3 year old a dinosaur, most popular - a duck.

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

I dream of carefully laid out plans. I struggle with an horizon line, and it does slow down my progress! I did a blue pen sketch, on a hospital information card straight after knee surgery. Very abstract. I like it, not so much my visitors or nurses

Going with the flow, and seeing the result seems to fit me. Not that I feel 100% happy there.

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

My husband, who won't use the artist tag, creates ephemeral sculptures of people, from recycled products, and puts them at the front of our farm. We get great comments from neighbours, and some tour busses. He lets them change over the months/years, until it's time to go. But I'm with you about the wind art. Creative idea, yes. Art, ? But I do think I would have loved art school.

I tend to tell myself the story of a piece as I create. But, have never thought of sharing the story before, because my idea was that I create the marks and viewers do what they want with them.

Thinking out loud here. Always dangerous LOL

Let me know what you think. Maybe I am copping out by always being a step away from my work? If I expect to share the story perhaps I can, more easily, get more depth into them?

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

For me, there is a freedom in not planning. Placing a mark and choosing where to place the next based on nothing more than my perceptions at that time. I get pleasure out of the physical mark making, and sometimes it is enough to mix and match pens, pencils, Texas, paints, ... and feel their difference.

Having said all that, I've been reviewing a lot of my work, and a lot have a story! That I can recall telling myself as I painted.

Emotions are always there in my work. Recently, I was talking about some of my pieces, to a small interested group. They wanted to know about the emotions in them. "It's there. You just need to view from the POV of no expectations. Look, wait and look again."

A bit of a 'dogs dinner' answer Sarah, but I do that

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriks
However, I had a professor in Art Appreciation who, as an exercise, made us take paper and dangle pencils, inks, crayons, whatever could leave a mark, over the paper and leave it outside for the wind to carry. Then those marks were supposed to equate somehow to nonrepresentational abstract art. But I found it very unsatisfying, not really "art" at all since it was left up to the wind. No human touch was involved.

Your comment made me smile. A couple of years ago, I was tempted to sign up for a BA online course: Major Painting. It was moderately expensive but affordable. I decided to do some research on it as there was considerable online resources from the institution, their instructors, some student work, the course prospectus, even half of one of the semesters course outline.

The first problem I found was you had to take 1 years drawing before any other course. OK drawing will help me improve, but I've been painting for more than a decade and it is suppose to be a Painting BA. Next I found that students must keep a written log of their work. OK again but it was 30% of the hours you put in each term. If I wanted to be a writer I would have looked for a Journalism course.

At this point I'm starting to get worried. Lets check out the instructors. About 25, but all with a bio. Turns out only 2 of the 25 were actually painters! Now I am worried. The final straw, was an assignment by a student. Yes, tie pens and pencils to tree branches and let the wind draw on the paper.

I didn't take the course. Instead I took 20% of the first term's tuition fee and purchased 50 sheets of my favorite watercolour paper. One of the better investments I have made.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Claude: Now that's funny! I think you spent your money much more wisely on actual art supplies. Funny how this stuff pops up.

Jen: I admit, I see a duck up there, too! But a duck with your usual imaginative waves, swirls and curls.

Your husband's work sounds really interesting! I wonder if he'd let you post a photo of some of it here for us.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGLoftin
I think working from an intentional, carefully laid out plan, or story, or definite idea, is something we as artists struggle to get away from. We want our paintings to come from a deeper place, from dreams, the subconscious, the subliminal, from meditation, the long sought after left brain, the matrix, Whatever works for us. ...

Floyd,
Don't you mean right brain? "...the left brain is the analytical, logical, verbal half while the right brain is the creative, emotional, visuo-spatial half..."

It's a nice theory but the received wisdom is "left-right brain" is a myth. It does make it easy to discuss the two or more thinking modes, doesn't it?

That aside, I like the constraints of a plan with the proviso that I can change the plan when and if I choose to. I use the same framework for realistic landscapes and for abstracts. When painting an abstract I stop using the framework at the point where I would start refining the major abstract shapes into things: trees, a table, a building, a mountain. At this departure point, with an abstract painting, I try to add details that emphasis the thought or emotion or situation I am trying to portray.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 01:26 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Floyd - thanks for the interesting explanation.
Claude - a good solid approach to abstract art.
Jennie - I like your 'duck'. It makes me think of zentangling, doodling.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
In the wrong century.

Hails from United States

Right brain, yes, I must be getting dyslexic. Yes, we know now that the left/right brain thing is wrong, any part of the brain can train itself to take over the function of any other. Most of the other things are myth too (the matrix?!) however, the search for a "place" from which we are disconnected from the restraints of logic and the inner "no" is a functional reality, proven by long history of practice, in meditation of all kinds, martial arts, eastern religion... Our logical, reasonable self can be trained to do a fine job of creating all sorts of things, including paintings, but it can never provide that lightning flash of inspiration that I need. When I was young I just wanted to paint things that looked real. When I was somewhat older I wanted to create paintings that I could sell. Now I just want to create something, even just one a year, that matters, that gives me a feeling of accomplishment. I'm expecting one of those lightning bolts soon.
-Floyd
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

Cheers Terri, I'll see what Robert thinks about sharing.