WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Hails from Russian Federation
Re: Our art inspiration

Lamar, very cool early childhood background!
Your story made me want to get a children art book for my daughter one day I will! (she is just 2,5 years now but she has a clear understanding of what an artist and oil pastels are )

You must be right, our early memories have a big and long-term impact on us. I remember having kind of a straw mat painting at our house, I knew it was from Vietnam and there was an Asian style pagoda and a woman by the river. It was loosely drawn, but I loved it and thought Vietnam was a far but fascinating country... And you know, I've always been attracted to the mystery of the Asian culture! It's funny that one day I actually got to Vietnam and it was a funny feeling - walking around a place you'd had somewhere in your head back in childhood
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2019, 02:05 PM

This is one of the most interesting and useful threads on this site. I have no art training of any kind. My wife had a little training when she was a child then took it up many years later and did very well. She got me started. My interests are more towards modern art than hers. I like to produce art in which the picture evolves as it is progressing so I end up with something different than what I imagined at the start. It is this creative process that keeps me going. I would suppose that my interests range from impressionism to abstract.

Ed
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Thanks for sharing, Ed. An interesting approach to creating art which I apply too seldom
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2019, 02:27 PM
WC! Guide
Texas

Hails from United States

Christel, this is such a neat thread learning about everyone's art inspiration - especially as it relates to geography, individual tastes - circumstances and teachings. The response is pretty darn interesting and special as it's unique to that person - a fascinating read.

I grew up in farming country and had no exposure to art as a child. But early on in high school I was curious enough that I took a few courses in art that sparked something in me - it was fun and interesting. So much so that art classes became a part of every semester in high school - but to be honest, while I fell in love with the process of creating, I hadn't a clue of what it could do for me career wise. I had to work, so my life went in a totally different direction and work was all consuming.

Later in life I was very lucky because I had a sister who lived in Paris and I had an opportunity to visit her. Long and short of the story, she took me to the Louvre and Giverney (Monet's home and gardens) - well talk about being wow'd, it was all very overwhelming. I never forgot the feeling of standing in front of the master pieces and being awed. I could have stared at those paintings for days. The experience was my inspiration.

When I retired from work I decided to pursue art on my own, for pleasure and have really enjoyed having the time to create whether graphite/charcoal, oil pastels or acrylics. Today I'm inspired by going onto art sites like wetcanvas and seeing what other artists are doing - it's all pretty cool, from traditional to expressionist styles. Just to witness the act of creating by so many people, and then when they share how they do what they are doing. It gets no better ~

There is no artist site on the web today that matches what Wetcanvas brings to the table - the sheer volume of information to the thousands of artists. It's the best.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

An awesome inspiration, Mary! All you need to learn now is working in oils Your works have been an inspiration to us too! Thanks for sharing.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

So good to see you here again Mary! I really do miss your OP work and contribution to this forum. Your work is just awesome and inspiring...And you're right, there is no other site like wetcanvas.

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richallanbass/
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Hi Mary, so good to see you here! I am pretty new here, but you know, the first thing that convinced me oil pastels were a worthy medium was your website. When I was frustrated about my cheap set and not being able to blend, not seeing any inspiring works done in OPs, I came across your website and I was like, wow! So one can actually create stunning works with this medium! Then I found Rich on instagram and was completely sold on OPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycatcher10
There is no artist site on the web today that matches what Wetcanvas brings to the table - the sheer volume of information to the thousands of artists. It's the best.

Oh yes! tremendous amount of information, support and inspiration! ^_^

Hopefully we'll see some of your new works some time
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM
WC! Guide
Texas

Hails from United States

Hi Christel, thank you so much for kind words - you know they mean a lot. I can't imagine starting up in oils too - that would overwhelm me for sure. I'm most inspired by what you have accomplished no matter the medium, subject or style - you pour out the pieces in great quantity, but also with amazing quality. It's been a pleasure to see your work all these years. Thank you for your dedication to oil pastels and what you have done to keep this forum going - means a lot to all of us. and I'm afraid that it probably wouldn't even be around today if it wasn't for you. We all owe you a lot.

Hi Rich, thank you for your generous comments about my work - can't tell you how much I appreciated it. It's been about one year since I have painted with oil pastels - perhaps when it's a little warmer out I'll give it a go. I've been an admirer of your oil pastel work for some time - the detail, combined with your knowedge of techincals have made for some gorgeous paintings, whether cityscapes (you did one on boston or san francisco for a friend - was fantastic), people (the basketball player), landscapes or seascapes. You paint so that people stand up and notice what you are creating - really wonderful art. It's exciting to read that you are doing it fulltime now - I wish you all the best, you will do very well.

Hi Mira - so nice to meet you and welcome to the OPs forum (even though you've been on for a while). Thank you for taking time to visit my blog/website - your feedback was most appreciated, thank you so much. I really enjoyed painting with oil pastels, with the exception of layering limitations, blending and for me getting details. Frustration built up where I decided to try another medium, acrylics - which I have really loved learning and enjoy the medium tremendously. I haven't painted with oil pastels for some time, but maybe in a couple of months I'll give it a go with a still life or florals. It would be fun to revisit OPs.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and kind words - I've missed my friends at wetcanvas.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2019, 11:15 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

Thanks Mary, I appreciate that very much.

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richallanbass/
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Thank you, Mary! Yes, I come to your website sometimes to admire the wonderful paintings I understand, it happens that a medium just doesn't satisfy all your needs and you feel the urge to move to something more suitable for yourself. But you have done many wonderful OP paintings, thank you for that great deal of inspiration!
It will be very nice to see your new OP paintings, even if acrylics has become your medium of choice

I totally agree that Christel has been putting a lot of effort to support our OP community going! Sometimes I feel we should all buy her a nice OP present as a small sign of appreciation for all her work Christel, seizing the opportunity, thank you very much for what you are doing!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Red face Re: Our art inspiration

Thanks so much. You're making me blush
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2019, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Hi Mary, and welcome - back? I visited your website and, from all the beautiful artwork and various mediums there, you have experimented with much more than I have - and successfully, too! Very impressive and inspiring.

Thank you for sharing your art story with us. When you wrote up there:
Quote:
I really enjoyed painting with oil pastels, with the exception of layering limitations, blending and for me getting details.
I had to laugh, because that seems to be the bane of most of us with oil pastels.

If it weren't for this forum, I would likely have moved on pretty quickly to something else. Everyone here has something of value to offer, I think - even people who are very new asking questions end up helping the rest of us out. It's been wonderful, and Christel always has something new for us to play with, it seems. I have learned a ton here, and still have a lot to learn, and this place makes it fun.

I hope you continue to share your op work with us!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2019, 01:59 AM
Williamsburg

Hails from United States

Christel- Thank you for creating this interesting thread. It's great to know everyone's art inspiration. My story is simple and goes like this:

I was born and raised in a small town located in the far-western region of Nepal. As a kid, I liked to draw, mostly with pencils, crayons, and some watercolor. I didn't receive any proper training on art; there were not any resources available for it in my town. However, my first inspiration came from one person in our town. He was homeless but he had got an artistic talent. He went to everyone's house begging for money and food. He often came to our place and my father asked him to draw something, and I watched him doing so. He drew line arts and was very good at drawing portraits of Hindu Gods and Goddesses. I learned the very basics of portrait drawing by watching his live work. I started drawing portraits of my father's friends and other relatives who came to visit us. But again that was all line drawing and I tried to capture unique features of the subjects to get some likeness in the drawing. I remember my father's maternal uncle came to visit us every winter and he asked me to draw his portrait. He used to be my favorite person for portrait drawing because of his big curly mustache covering his mouth and cheeks pretty well. I knew I could capture his likeness very well if I did his mustache correctly. He loved it anyways and always rewarded me with a bottle of fresh honey that he harvested.

Time went on, I got into high school, my interest in art was put to the side. I had to think about my career. Painting was not considered as a career. Soon I grew interest in science, specially physics, then went to engineering school, and became an electrical engineer. I came to US in 2007 as a grad student and settled here. Life went super fast after I moved here. Full-time job, family, kids, mortgage, etc., a busy and rushed American lifestyle.

In 2017, I visited an art exhibition from some local watercolorists. I was amazed to see their inspiring artworks. That was a trigger and I rediscovered my old childhood passion for art. I tried watercolor first, and did some paintings using line and wash techniques. I watched lots of Peter Sheeler's line and wash tutorials on YouTube. I had some success with it but not much. Some of it had to do with my limited knowledge of color theory and lack of practice with brush handling. Because I was good at pencil drawing, I thought I might have a better control over strokes with something that I can grasp tightly in my hand while painting on a surface. I was right. Soft pastels worked really well for me. But I had to stop working with them soon as my kids are allergic to dust. Then I started exploring oil pastels. I immediately liked their simplicity and portability, but I didn't know where to begin with and wasn't sure what I could achieve with this medium as it was hard to find good books/resources/works published on oil pastels. It's only after I discovered the oil pastel works of David Berridge, Mary, and Rich's on the internet that I was convinced that one could create incredible artwork with this medium. Then I joined WetCanvas, a fantastic place to learn painting. I learned from other artists' works posted in this forum, and more from their feedback.

I am not seeking to be a full-time artist anytime soon, may be after I retire from my current profession. I am still a beginner but I enjoyed painting a lot and want to continue it as a hobby for now. Landscape is my favorite subject. I find endless fascination with nature's complexity and get immense pleasure and satisfaction from painting nature. As others have said, creating art is a therapeutic process, I agree and it helps me keep both hemispheres of my brain active and be creative at everything I do.

At last, I would like to share some of my old sketches.

This one was a trial sketch I created on my notebook on the night before I had an art contest in school. The actual painting was kept at school, and got lost eventually. It says 'Napoleon's grand army on its way back from Russia'. I drew this art after we had a history lesson on Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Please don't be fooled by the date (2050/5/17) printed on it, that's in Nepalese calendar. The corresponding English date is Aug 1, 1993.

This is my portrait from 1995 using pencil and watercolor.

This is my nephew's portrait using pencil from 2004.

Raj
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Wow! Raj, well done on those paintings! It is great to know where you come from. Thanks for sharing. I've wondered already how you decided on your specific style.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Raj, thanks so much for sharing your story. I am touched by your telling of the homeless man in your village, and how you would watch him do his drawings. It's a unique and lovely way to be introduced to art, and it aligns with my own belief that good art can come from every person.

I remember you joining WC and seeing a painting of a snow-covered car outside (I think?) of your old apartment building. I remember thinking your detail on the bricks was really good! Your attention to details has always been impressive.

I love seeing your older drawings here. Your watercolor self-portrait is just wonderful!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!