WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Jamie's Fabriano Venezia Journal

The bad I heard about Noodlers was a fountain pen company (can't remember which one ) that refused to fix any pen that had been used with Noodlers ink. The statement was that Noodlers corrodes the insides.

The india inks have shellac in them. The shellac will build up and clog the pen.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebby
The bad I heard about Noodlers was a fountain pen company (can't remember which one ) that refused to fix any pen that had been used with Noodlers ink. The statement was that Noodlers corrodes the insides.

The india inks have shellac in them. The shellac will build up and clog the pen.

Debby, here's a recent exchange on the Goulet Pen blog between the owner, Brian, and a couple of customers, regarding what the problem was with the Lamy feeds. It's very unfortunate that rumors keep circulating that it was a result of Noodler's ink when it was clearly a pen flaw, and happened with other ink brands as well! But you can see for yourself:

Brian Goulet said...
@Sheila, I'm wondering if perhaps Lamy has changed their plastic since then? I know the original 'melting' of a pen feed that started all of the rumors about BSB's danger was in a Lamy. As it turned out, it was an issue with the feeds Lamy was using, and there were people who experienced problems with melting feeds with other brands besides Noodler's I wasn't in the pen world at the time all this was going on, but I'm told that what caused the problem was that Lamy was using a feed made out of a material called Casein, which is not an idea material for a nib feed. I have to wonder if the plastic they've used in their pens have changed in recent years to resist this type of staining, as I've heard of inks other than BSB being problems as well. Does anyone have any insight to this?
March 6, 2011 2:37 PM
Jesse said...
I make casein plastic all the time (I have some sitting near me drying right now). The kind which Lamy was using would likely be casein-formaldehyde which is stiffer than plain casein but just as brittle. Penmakers who turn casein will know that, although pleasing to the touch, the material is hydroscopic (absorbs water) and can expand/contract, warp and stain. It's an amazing material but is definitely not for nib feeds. My Aurora Blue (which is not waterproof at all) would easily dissolve my casein and cause casein-formaldehyde to wilt.

I understand BSB can stain and that may cause some complaints, but if all this hullabaloo is because of casein feeds, it's unfortunate that Noodler's was given the blame.
March 6, 2011 4:12 PM
Brian Goulet said...
@Jesse, from what I understand, casein feeds were used in certain Lamys and that's what caused the 'melting' problem. It sounds like exactly what you've described here.

There's actually a thread that came up recently on FPN called 'Noodler's Eats Pens?' where an unwitting newbie was told by their local pen shop that Noodler's ink destroys pens. Talk about a blanket statement, huh? You can see just from the responses that not only is that untrue, but veteran members of the forum are sick of hearing about these ridiculous rumors, to the point where KCAT (the Ink Thoughts subforum moderator) closed the thread. Here's the thread: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...ers-eats-pens/

Of particular interest is post #17, where physicsgirl describes what sounds like @Jesse's description of a casein meltdown, having never used Noodler's in the pen at all. She states she got a replacement Lamy and Noodler's has been running flawlessly through it ever since!
March 6, 2011 4:23 PM
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Yes, Margo. The Higgins ink I use says on the bottle Fountain Pen India. . . its non-waterproof and made for fountain pens. I've also read that about shellac in India inks and was concerned at first, but it seems to work fine in my Lamy and I read other reviews of it online, too. Its been around a long time as it was referenced in a book written over 20 years ago.

I'd never read that about Noodlers but glad its not true. . . thanks for the info Jamie

Last edited by RainySea : 03-08-2011 at 09:21 AM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Jamie - I love the recent paintings!

Thanks to all for the info on the inks. I'll have to look carefully at what I'm using in my Lamy.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Jamie, sorry to start a controversy on your thread.

Rainy, I wasn't aware that Higgins made fountain pen ink. I'm sorry to stir this up, I love my Lamy pens to distraction and didn't want yours to croak on you. I only have the Higgins india and I guess when the book I read about not using Higgins was written Higgins didn't have fountain pen ink.

One of the things I love about WC is the ability to exchange information in a timely fashion, and to learn new and different things. I am enjoying sketching with my Lamy's after years of using the darlings to write with, may the rest of you enjoy yours as much as I have. They have some cool new colored pens that may have to go into my collection, perhaps a bit childish, but I do enjoy the variety of colors and then I can have a huge variety of colored ink to play with!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Margo, I love colored pens too. IF you are into inks (colored one, too!), Jamie and myself found this really cool Ink Drop club at Goulet Pens where you get five new inks to try each month. They are so quick and friendly too. . . I joined a few hours ago and got a nice email that my inks had shipped just now. ALREADY!!!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainySea
Margo, I love colored pens too. IF you are into inks (colored one, too!), Jamie and myself found this really cool Ink Drop club at Goulet Pens where you get five new inks to try each month. They are so quick and friendly too. . . I joined a few hours ago and got a nice email that my inks had shipped just now. ALREADY!!!

For those who are interested, here's a link to Ink Drop at Goulet. We were thinking that if a bunch of us joined, it would be fun to have discussions about the inks issued each month from an artist's viewpoint (vs. those who just write with it).

j.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

What a brilliant idea Jamie and Rainy! I agree lets kick the whole ink thing to a new level together.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Thanks for the info Jamie. Glad we got that cleared up.

Does the Pen and Ink forum have an ink review thread? I know they have a pen review thread.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

These were done on a two page spread from this past weekend's WDE images, using:
  • Lamy Safari EF pen with Noodler's Bulletproof Black
  • WN and Holbein watercolors
  • #4 and #6 Escoda sables
  • a bit of white gouache cause I'm a cheater (But at least I fess up)

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Cool images Jamie. Using gouache isn't cheating in everyones book, my friend Janet Weight Reed uses it extensively.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Thanks, Margo. I love painting in gouache, but when I use watercolor, I do try to keep it transparent as much as possible. I was just teasing about the guilt part.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

those are GREAT, Jamie. Love the cat in the box and the fish . . . clown gave always been scary to me even when they are smiling and even BEFORE I read/watched IT! But yours is cute.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Great sketches since I last visited, Jamie! My favorites are the room with the pooch on the windowsill, and the goldfish. Very nice.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Nice work Jamie.

Progress not perfection