WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Hall of Fame.
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Glendale, CA

Japanese Girl/Guy at the Park

I'm pretty new with the medium and here is something i experimented on Canson MT. I'm still trying out the paper and still can't decide whether to blend or not. Critiques are welcome.

And here's the next piece that followed. Here, I tried to paint loosely imitating the layering style of Master Daniel Greene.

Last edited by straycat27 : 12-23-2009 at 05:02 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Palermo - Sicily

Hails from Italy
Re: Japanese Girl/Guy at the Park

They're both wonderfull! I really like the style of the second one!

Dario (DaR)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Wonderful painting. I think you got it down. Whatever you are doing itís gorgeous. james
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Welcome to the Pastel forum Straycat (Robert)! Wow, you do really nice work! If these are the results of your just getting started in pastels I know you will continue to do impressive work. I'm guessing that you haven't done a lot of blending in these; I like seeing the different strokes of pastel and hope you'll find that blending isn't necessary. Colors get dull when they're blended together and optical blending is one of the big advantages of using pastels. A little smoothing with a finger here and there is sometimes needed but most of us prefer to let the pastels do the blending, sometimes using harder pastels to blend or soften edges where needed. I hope you'll experiment with different brands of pastels and try all the papers that are available too.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 10:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Beautiful work!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 11:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

The second one really impresses me. Nice work!

Try sandpaper, too--Wallis, Colourfix (broken strokes), Pastelmat, La Carte(blending).

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
Littleton, CO

Hails from United States

Very nice...especially for just starting in pastels. I, too, like the strokes of pastels and find the texture in the portrait very pleasing.

Welcome to the Pastel Forum!

Cindy's Blog
Life beats down and crushes the soul, but art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
West Virginia Panhandle

Hails from United States

Beautiful paintings
love the 2nd, I personally like paintings where you can see the strokes so it appeals to me more. The glowing colors are gorgeous on his face.
http://betsyspastels.blogspot.com/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

LOove the second one here too!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello. I like both pieces - each has its own character.
I've seen demos at D Greene's studio several times, each time realizing more about why I respect his work and his dedication. You have chosen a living Master to hold in mind.
Myself, I work on paper, and have found ways to blend and yet not blend.
Paper has its particular character/form.
If you would, please speak about the brand(s) of pastel that you have/use.
Thank you. E
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Glendale, CA

just_DaR
Quote:
They're both wonderfull! I really like the style of the second one!
Thank you, Dar. Me too.

granddad
Quote:
Wonderful painting. I think you got it down. Whatever you are doing itís gorgeous. james
Thank you, James. I appreciate it.

Donna T
Quote:
Welcome to the Pastel forum Straycat (Robert)! Wow, you do really nice work! If these are the results of your just getting started in pastels I know you will continue to do impressive work. I'm guessing that you haven't done a lot of blending in these; I like seeing the different strokes of pastel and hope you'll find that blending isn't necessary. Colors get dull when they're blended together and optical blending is one of the big advantages of using pastels. A little smoothing with a finger here and there is sometimes needed but most of us prefer to let the pastels do the blending, sometimes using harder pastels to blend or soften edges where needed. I hope you'll experiment with different brands of pastels and try all the papers that are available too.
Thank you, Donna.
I am, unfortunately, a big time blender and I haven't tried optical blending. I'm not good with colors actually and relied too much with the color picker in Photoshop. I have to remind myself all the time not to blend and try to simplify. Squinting doesn't help me much. Do you think blurring the reference photo will help?

Paula Ford
Quote:
Beautiful work!
Thank you, Paula.
It means a lot to me.

Deborah Secor
Quote:
The second one really impresses me. Nice work!
Try sandpaper, too--Wallis, Colourfix (broken strokes), Pastelmat, La Carte(blending).
Deborah
Thank you, Deborah.
I've had a discussion with Colorfix (Charlie) about this. Is using the sanded paper the same as spray fixing the overworked layers?

Btw, I've seen your PanPastel demo and I've bought a set of 10 to try out. Wonderful video.

chatfieldstudios
Quote:
Very nice...especially for just starting in pastels. I, too, like the strokes of pastels and find the texture in the portrait very pleasing.
Welcome to the Pastel Forum!
Thank you.
I like loose strokes too. Unfortunately, the paintings that followed are mostly blended. Old habits die hard.

BetsyPriesing
Quote:
Beautiful paintings
love the 2nd, I personally like paintings where you can see the strokes so it appeals to me more. The glowing colors are gorgeous on his face.
Thank you, Betsy.
I like loose strokes too but I happened to be a big-time blender, that's why this 2nd piece means a lot to me.

paulb
Quote:
LOove the second one here too!!
Thank You.

sketchZ1ol
Quote:
hello. I like both pieces - each has its own character.
I've seen demos at D Greene's studio several times, each time realizing more about why I respect his work and his dedication. You have chosen a living Master to hold in mind.
Myself, I work on paper, and have found ways to blend and yet not blend.
Paper has its particular character/form.
If you would, please speak about the brand(s) of pastel that you have/use.
Thank you. E
Thank You, E.
I have a copy of D Greene's pastel demo on JIM and I've watched it over and over again. Since then, I've been trying to use his style of layering but always in vain since I have a heavy hand and I'm a long time blender.
I only have the Derwent pastel pencils, Carb Othello pastel pencils, Nupastel, Rembrandt and W&N sets when I started these. Now, I have the softer ones but I find it more difficult for my style.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat27
I have to remind myself all the time not to blend and try to simplify. Squinting doesn't help me much. Do you think blurring the reference photo will help?

You could try that but honestly, whatever you're doing sure seems to be working well for you. I don't do portraits (I wish) so I don't know how important edges would be to you and whether blurring them would affect the way that you see the forms of the face. Do you step away from your easel after you put down a few strokes? I'm always amazed at how strokes blend together from a few feet away and sections that I labor over and try to smooth out look flat and lifeless when viewed from a distance. There's no right or wrong way with blending - just find what works best for you. The sanded papers you asked about have much more tooth than a spray-fixed piece of Canson. You can layer away and no spraying is necessary.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Glendale, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T
You could try that but honestly, whatever you're doing sure seems to be working well for you. I don't do portraits (I wish) so I don't know how important edges would be to you and whether blurring them would affect the way that you see the forms of the face. Do you step away from your easel after you put down a few strokes? I'm always amazed at how strokes blend together from a few feet away and sections that I labor over and try to smooth out look flat and lifeless when viewed from a distance. There's no right or wrong way with blending - just find what works best for you. The sanded papers you asked about have much more tooth than a spray-fixed piece of Canson. You can layer away and no spraying is necessary.
Thank you again, Donna.
How come you don't do portraits?
I don't step away from the easel to look at the painting from a distance mainly due to the size of our apartment.
I have a few sanded paper here that i can try.
Thank you again.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 06:04 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat27

How come you don't do portraits?

Because people expect them to look human. I did a goat once, does that count? Seriously, I admire those of you who can get such amazing likenesses and also express the personality or mood of the person depicted. Portraiture seems like such an exacting science - much easier to move a tree in a field than a nose on a face!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

I have to say I love these two pieces. They are just delightful in color choices - especially behind the head in that ruby color of the second piece and the lavenders in his hair.

www.MorninNoonanNight.com