WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast
Yorkshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Different dog breeds.

Hi all.

I'm wanting to paint a series of dog paintings. I want natural type photos of dogs in natural settings like woods, fields, meadows etc...just being dogs but of course a pose that will look good in a painting but not a contrived pose. For some less active type breeds like toy breeds, other more domestic types of settings will do too. Head shots and full body shots are both welcome.

I've already been through the RIL and have found the odd couple but not that many. I'm quite picky, lol.

I need all different breeds but especially more popular breeds that more people will buy art of.

As I live in the UK, images of dogs with cropped ears are not marketable because it is long since banned so can only do natural ears...thankfully... and I don't paint docked tails so if the dog has a docked tail, shots where it doesn't show would be appreciated.

I'm trying to get refs of my own but the time of year with the lack of light and undesirable weather is very restrictive along with the issue of finding willing owners of purebred dogs to shoot.
The average human looks without seeing, listens without hearing, touches without feeling, eats without tasting, moves without physical awareness, inhales without awareness of odour or fragrance and talks without thinking.
Leonardo Da Vinci

http://www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Kent

Re: Different dog breeds.

Hi Canis

I might have a couple, just looking now and will resize and post - I've a rough collie so we should have a few...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Kent

Smile Re: Different dog breeds.

Hiya

Merry Christmas
Louisa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2007, 02:51 AM
TX

Hails from United States

Here is a picture of my German Shepherd out on our back patio in progress. Maybe it can work for you.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast
Yorkshire, UK

Thanks.

Louisa - The photos would have to be natural light really so the top two wouldn't be suitable...also, avoid wide-angle on the lens because it distorts which I can see a little in the face shots. Wide-angle is basically anything that makes the subject look further away from you/smaller than they actually are...in other words, zooming out.
The bottom one looks better but the photos are way too tiny to do anything with. I think that, even though requests are made in here, photos are meant to be uploaded to the RIL and post high res versions of them so they are easier to use. I have to print the pics off so I can stick them to my drawing board because I can't paint at the computer. Sorry for being so picky, lol. I should have posted more info in the first post about all this stuff.

2blonde - The pic you posted is a good one, good quality and nice and natural. Again, bigger would be better because an image this small wouldn't print very well. I have a couple of friends with GSDs and have photographed theirs and I'm painting a black one that belongs to one of them at the moment so I haven't been too unlucky getting photos of this breed but all good pics of purebred dogs can come in handy.

If anyone else has any, please upload what you have to the RIL as large images...other people could find them useful too and it saves clogging up this forum and then just post in here saying you uploaded images to the RIL. Cheers
The average human looks without seeing, listens without hearing, touches without feeling, eats without tasting, moves without physical awareness, inhales without awareness of odour or fragrance and talks without thinking.
Leonardo Da Vinci

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Kent

Hi Canis

Comments appreciated, though I was just sending you some I had to hand. I wouldn't have expected you to work from these pix, a simple request to send/email you bigger files would have sufficed.

As for the RIL thanks for letting me know, however I was posting on here for you to see the pix first in case there were any you wanted posting onto RIL.

Good luck with your request.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Hails from Switzerland

mail me the number i sent the original file. i made stacks of photos of my dogs.
if you click my banner there are more picts i took of my dogs.
blond one is golden retriever girl, dark one is a german pointer longhair male.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast
Yorkshire, UK

Those are great Dhara. Just the thing. I had a look in your site. Great pics.

The pointer is an interesting one. Don't see many longhaired versions of that breed. A long tail too. I much prefer long tails and won't actually paint docked ones but there are a lot of stubborn enthusiasts for such breeds who still want them docked despite the ban coming in on April 6th last year in the UK for all but certain breeds where the pups were specifically being bred to work...although a lot of breeders who's pups are just going to be pets are using this to get theirs done also...an offence but one they are able to get round. I'm not sure how they'd take a painting of one with a full tail so shots where the tail simply doesn't show would be a safer bet for the time being for such breeds. Further down the line, long tails are bound to be more accepted and I'll enjoy painting them
Leonardo Da Vinci

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Kent

Dhara - what amazing pictures AND beautiful dogs, where were the pictures taken? Fabulously impressed!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast
Village nr Sevenoaks, Kent

Yes Dhara what amazing photos, brilliant - may I paint one? there are a couple I really like.

I couldn't seem to get past your homepage on your website though?

Hi Loubycee whereabouts in Kent are you? I'm a Kent girlie
All C&C welcome
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 AM

Hails from Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubycee
Dhara - what amazing pictures AND beautiful dogs, where were the pictures taken? Fabulously impressed!

Pictures were taken in the netherlands.
On one of the dutch islands called 'Texel'.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM

Hails from Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara
Yes Dhara what amazing photos, brilliant - may I paint one? there are a couple I really like.

I couldn't seem to get past your homepage on your website though?

Hi Loubycee whereabouts in Kent are you? I'm a Kent girlie

if you pb me the number of the pict then i sent you the original.

have your tried maybe firefox to test my website? strange you cannot past the homepage. never had this before. I will look into it.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Dhara,

Thank you very much, you take beautiful photographs and you have beautiful dogs

I couldn't seem to find where to click to enter - you know when the hand comes up (don't know what it is called!!!) maybe it is my browser I use Mozilla?

May I check the photos you have on your website before I decide on the photo I want to paint?

Many thanks
Sarah
All C&C welcome
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Dhara,

It was my browser I am using internet explorer now and I have the menu bar at the top now - how strange.

Just thought I would let you know!

Sarah
All C&C welcome
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Hails from Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara
Hi Dhara,
May I check the photos you have on your website before I decide on the photo I want to paint?
Sarah

that's fine. hope i can find the original then
good to hear the site is working!