WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Reference Image Library Violation

ah, i opened it in explorer, it worked fine...that`s the offending picture?
well, never even saw that there.....

i think i may have used an apple one that that person posted but i did paint some changes to it so don`t think that will be a problem

as someone said, bit of a mess really.....

krispee
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

I was able to get onto the site-I searched for any photos I have used that may be there and there were several (by several different photographers) that had been posted in the Reference Library under the person in question. I don't want to imply anyone's innocense or guilt, I just want to cover myself and see if I can use the rightful owner's photos as references or do I need to distroy all of the canvases.

This is quite disheartening and I have just started painting in May. I can only imagine the impact of those who in good faith have sold some works and now thier reputation is on the line as well.

I am concerned about these threads that can be searched by google and others can see that we have used thier references to paint from, even though in good faith, any of us who have used them have our reputations on the line-not to mention the possible expense of proving we didn't know that the photos may not have belonged to the person in question. I would really like to see all of the threads with any of my paintings from any of those references deleted as I am planning to destroy all that I don't get permission to use. Just to keep any other photographers seeing thier work displayed without previous permission- prior to our knowledge.

I am to the point right now that I am afraid to post anything with any reference material used.

I have tried to be so careful to get prior permission and then to send my paintings (or links to threads) to the person who allowed me to use thier references. I have always taken copyright to heart and seriously. I just get sick to my stomach thinking about it.

DISHEARTENED,
Krysta Kaye
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Oh darn, no wonder he seemed like 'Superman' with his exploits! - I really enjoyed the photos & have several that I must delete from my computer I wondered why, when I pm'd the person to show them my artwork, they never returned a message. I have used his images in at least a couple of works but have given them away.
Thank you for alerting us.
Carol
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Elmore, Victoria

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
The site won't allow a link to the image, so just go to www.trekearth.com, then search for ullswater. The image in question is near the bottom of the list.

Thanks, Mav. that worked well.
Thankyou also to Lynn, but that URL didn't work for me either
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Dana Design

Quote:
I am concerned about these threads that can be searched by google and others can see that we have used thier references to paint from, even though in good faith, any of us who have used them have our reputations on the line-not to mention the possible expense of proving we didn't know that the photos may not have belonged to the person in question. I would really like to see all of the threads with any of my paintings from any of those references deleted as I am planning to destroy all that I don't get permission to use. Just to keep any other photographers seeing thier work displayed without previous permission- prior to our knowledge.

You can ask the moderator of your forum to delete the images that you have used, however, only those images from the file that Kerri has posted will be removed. The rest will stay.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

Could someone who has seen the questionable image describe it so those of us who can't access it through the link, regardless of browser used, can have some idea of which one it is? I did go to Trekearth, searched Ullswater, but near the bottom doesn't ID the pic and I recognized none of those posted there.

By the way several commented that they wondered about the professional quality of the member's photos. All that professional means for artists or photographers is that a certain portion of your income is made through sales of your work. It has nothing to do with quality. Many "amateurs" produce work that exceeds that of the professionals. Nor is Trekearth a site of professionals anymore than is WC although professionals certainly participate.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Dana Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztrillium
Could someone who has seen the questionable image describe it so those of us who can't access it through the link, regardless of browser used, can have some idea of which one it is? I did go to Trekearth, searched Ullswater, but near the bottom doesn't ID the pic and I recognized none of those posted there.

By the way several commented that they wondered about the professional quality of the member's photos. All that professional means for artists or photographers is that a certain portion of your income is made through sales of your work. It has nothing to do with quality. Many "amateurs" produce work that exceeds that of the professionals. Nor is Trekearth a site of professionals anymore than is WC although professionals certainly participate.
TJ

'Professionalism' has nothing to do with it. Anyone can copyright their work and these works on trekearth were copyrighted. And that is where the 'rub' is.

What you need to do, if you think you've painted from a work on the site that Kerri has set aside, is to look through them. If you see something you've used, it would be best to go through the trekearth site (there are categories of subject matter) to see if it is copyrighted there. Yes, it takes time but I've done it in an evening.

Last edited by Dana Design : 09-16-2005 at 09:22 PM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast
On the other side of the Brazos near Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Being a curious(nosy) person, I went to the TrekEarth site, opened up favorites under Turkey and easily found more matching photos to the ones in question. I still don't know the match for the one in question, but I found more problems, just by looking on this one site. This is so sad...

Oil Pastel Society
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada

It's a boy throwing a rock into the water.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystakaye
I was able to get onto the site-I searched for any photos I have used that may be there and there were several (by several different photographers) that had been posted in the Reference Library under the person in question. I don't want to imply anyone's innocense or guilt, I just want to cover myself and see if I can use the rightful owner's photos as references or do I need to distroy all of the canvases.

This is quite disheartening and I have just started painting in May. I can only imagine the impact of those who in good faith have sold some works and now thier reputation is on the line as well.

I am to the point right now that I am afraid to post anything with any reference material used.

I have tried to be so careful to get prior permission and then to send my paintings (or links to threads) to the person who allowed me to use thier references. I have always taken copyright to heart and seriously. I just get sick to my stomach thinking about it.

DISHEARTENED,
Krysta Kaye

Krysta, I think most photographers would be flattered that you would choose to paint from one of their photos. Asking permission after the fact may not be ideal, but it's a good idea.

One thing that you won't lose from this is what you've learned about painting. And talk about a fast learner! Just keep painting!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2005, 08:09 AM
A Local Legend
Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hails from Canada

This is dishearting. So many wonderful images are lost.
Even though this member has had his images removed from the RIL, I still have a collection in "My Favorites". I guess it's up to me to remove them, huh.(and I will)

One copyright image can upset so many. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, as I have not painted anything from this member. I just saved a few images in hopes to do them one day. Now I see that will not be the case. I believe the images I have are by this member, but for safty measure, I will remove them from my Favorites.

Horse lovers are "stable" people
My Website http://www.freewebs.com/sheilastienley/index.htm
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2005, 03:06 PM

Just my opinion, but I've worked with professional quality reference images (Masterfile) legitimately in my publishing work. I'd say anything previous to 2004 looks like personal snapshots, then there is suddenly a great jump in quality in the 2004 shots. The person may have taken a photography course and acquired a better camera, but I don't think he/she could have traveled that widely in one year. And I got trapped too. I'm in the middle of a drawing using one of the 2004 shots. Grrrr.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

What I want to know is what would be the motivation for a person to post someone else's copyrighted images? Is it to just get stroked by all of saying what great images they are? It doesn't make any sense.

Lynn

Check out my gallery collection at: http://www.art-agent.com/artist_info.php?userid=58662
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
NJ, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmevenson
What I want to know is what would be the motivation for a person to post someone else's copyrighted images? Is it to just get stroked by all of saying what great images they are? It doesn't make any sense.

Lynn

These things dont make any sense until you understand mental illness and how it can manifest itself on the internet, especially in a community like this.

Dedicated to wasting bandwidth since 1999.

http://www.jeffgola.com
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2005, 06:58 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Lively, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by keustice

This issue is now a legal matter. Please do not accuse or hint at accusing the poster of any of these images of anything unlawful on WetCanvas! (whether in the forums or PM). No one has all the facts on this matter, including us, on whether anything unlawful occurred; there may well be a perfectly innocent explanation, but this argument is now a legal issue and will not be had on WC!. Any statement to the contrary may well be libelous, and in any event would run afoul of the user agreement.

I think everyone is having a little trouble understanding motivation, but in terms of legality, etc., for the WC site, I think we should possibly refrain from conjecture regarding anyone's mental state.