WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Reference Image Library Violation

This is so sad at a number of levels, sad for us to lose such a stupendous body of photographic reference, particularly those of people's and places from all around the world that captured ethnic costume and lifestyle that is rapidly being lost. It is sad if this is an innocent mistake and the photographer has been harmed even so. Sadder still if it is not innocent and so many WC artist's have had their reputations and livlihoods jepoardized. I surely hope the matter can be resolved and the WC photographer's work can be returned to us.

It does hallmark something I try to get across to folk. References should be used as references and not as a pattern to simply copy. That's not to say that there's never a reference that begs to be copied as is,, but even then we as artist's need to be inventive and interpretive and make our rendering something more, something different than the photo--even when the photo is own of our own, but especially if there is a risk of copyright violation.

Thanks team for keeping us informed and responding so swiftly to this event.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
left coast

Hails from United States

It might be helpful for WC to ask the person claiming to represent the copyright holder whether that copyright holder would grant single use licenses to those WC members who inadvertently used the image.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 02:58 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Kerri,

I have checked through all of the images and have found several I have used and also that were in the WDE's. Fortunately they haven't sold and will be removed from my website. What I was wondering...is there a particular reason some of the images (on pages 78, 81, and 82) have "no Thumnail" on them and don't show the picture? What if they are potentially ones we have saved or worse yet, used?? There's no way of checking them??

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 AM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

I am a great user of the RIL, so to am very disappointed to be alerted to this - I have checked the images and found had saved a number to my computer - and had recently painted 3 of them, fortunately or unfortunately they turned out rubbish!

Im wondering dont you think perhaps the lead into the Ref Library should have something like this

Please do not upload images or photos that you yourself have not taken.......

rather than

"This library is created entirely by member submissions. Please only upload photos. Do not upload paintings or copyrighted images. Images you upload will be used by other artists as reference images."

as it doesnt actually say any where that the images have to be taken by you, only that they are member submissions........ could save alot of confusion
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Elmore, Victoria

Hails from Australia

This is a huge dissapointment for the people who use the RIL. I am still going through to see if I've used any.... Have I missed where you said which image was the main problem? If someone can tell me, that would be great.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast
Sarajevo, Bosnia

Hails from Bosnia and Herzegovina

That's just what we needed! Terrific.
I am sifting through the submissions and have found at least one that I painted from there and sold I should have known with some of the images - they look too professional to have been taken by an amateur, but some look like those we all can take.

Considering the whole situation, I doubt there will be any harm to anyone here but we must be careful in the future. At least as someone said above, I will be more alert to using photos as references only not material for copying. I usually do that- except when a photo is so good that it can stand copied as a painting too.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 08:13 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Lively, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by keustice
Just to reiterate, we've received only one report by a copyright holder of infringement. Given the general level of interest in knowing if you are using that particular picture, here is a link: http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/1295/...lswater_te.jpg
Because we can't tell which images of the 1500 posted images were legitimate and which were not, we felt the responsible action was to remove them all.
Kerri

Honnie, here's the link that Kerri had (in her second post in this thread).
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Michigan

Hails from United States

I had used one of the photos in a painting. It isn't an exact copy of the photo. I changed several things in it, but if you put the photo next to my painting you would know that it was taken from that photo. The photo was in black and white, my painting is in color. One man was old and I changed him to a young man. I moved one man's gaze to a different direction, changed shirts, added facial hair, etc..... I wanted to convey a certain thing in my painting that wasn't in the photo. But is that enough? Like I said, if you put the photo next to the painting you would know that it was definitely used for a reference, even though it isn't the same. What would you suggest as to this situation? I'm not overly concerned as I haven't sold the painting, but I did have plans on selling it.

I was not allowed to see the particular photo in question....A page came up saying I was not authorized to view that page.

Blog: www.aprilameyetteart.blogspot.com
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast
Sarajevo, Bosnia

Hails from Bosnia and Herzegovina

As far as we know now there was one photo (that won't open) that was in violation. About others we don't know.

I have also recognized a couple painted by other people that were shown here or sold on ebay. What a mess!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 09:18 AM

Can you please provide a link to the said image!!!!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Because of the situation, one of our moderators from Decorative Arts sent us to view the link about the photos in question.

And as a result I found there are other sites on WC! WOW! I need to step out of my comfort area more often.

Becky

Last edited by Becktoria : 09-16-2005 at 10:19 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada

The site won't allow a link to the image, so just go to www.trekearth.com, then search for ullswater. The image in question is near the bottom of the list.

The image I used was in the RIL collection that was removed. I couldn't find it on trekearth, but it may have been there at one time since it closely resembles the work of one of the photographers.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
Torrance, Caifornia

Hails from United States

Well, I did two paintings. I was going to enter them into a contest and so its a good thing I got this heads up.
Guess I will have to hurry and finsh others.

Rosa
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Lively, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by keustice
Just to reiterate, we've received only one report by a copyright holder of infringement. Given the general level of interest in knowing if you are using that particular picture, here is a link: http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/1295/...lswater_te.jpg
Because we can't tell which images of the 1500 posted images were legitimate and which were not, we felt the responsible action was to remove them all.

Kerri

That's really odd, as this link is still working for me.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2005, 11:52 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I think the old saying used to state "Innocent until proven guilty", but nowadays the opposite seems to be the way of things moreso.
It would be a shame if these photos are not legit postings by this member. I can understand the copyright infringement issue and hopefully the matter will be resolved in a civilized manner.