WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Underwater Photography

Here are 4 more, a bit larger than the other ones, so that you can see what you are missing. lol

Joe
Attached Images

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 12:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Now you're just showing off Joe..... Much to our delight. I am jealous though. My husband is getting his open water certification next month. I can't dive because of a ruptured ear drum ( from sky diving )

Great photo's. What kind of camera are you using ? Where were the Oceanic white tip shark pics taken?

Hi Dee! Glad you are liking the photo's. They could make nice backgrounds for some of your wonderful fantasy work.

Cheers,

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 03:51 PM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Li.
The photos of the White Tip Reef Sharks, where taken off the coast of Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.
(this is the resort that was bombed a few weeks ago)
My first underwater photos were taken using a cheap camera, zipped up in a clear watertight pouch.
I then progressed to the shallow water underwater disposables.
I then thought it was time to invest in a good underwater housing for my Olympus Digital.
Unfortunately, I had no sooner done this than I had to give up diving myself.
My best diving was off the Coast of Belize, Central America.
The reefs there were absolutely stunning, and YES, I have some photos.

I also spent 6 months of the year - for a few years, being an underwater guide off the coast of North Cyprus.
Diving AND getting paid for it - what a life.

Joe

Last edited by joemajury : 08-17-2005 at 04:35 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2005, 07:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Very cool Joe. Guess I'm not surprised at your underwater expertise having seen so many of your other talents. I think some of your portraits are among the best in the library. These are excellent! Sorry to hear you can't dive anymore but we are happy to enjoy your photo's. I'm sure you must miss it although I seriously doubt you need another hobby. LOL.

I got a low end underwater digital for Christmas last year when we moved here. Now that I've had some practice, I realize how limited it's capabilities are, very hard to get any close ups but it takes decent pictures otherwise. If we stay here another 2 years, I'll be getting a better set up.

I hope no one you knew was hurt during the attacks in Egypt. What a tragic waste and loss of life.

Great work Joe!

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 10:06 AM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Here are a few more for today.

Above And Below

Black And Whites

Bubble

Clownfish

Shy Clownfish

Joe
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 02:25 PM
A WC! Legend
FLORIDA

Hails from United States

This is like a secret place to find cool photos!!! Makes me want to paint, paint, paint.

So, is there a new place in the library yet for these underwater beauties?? Sure hope so or I'll just make this thread my new place to hang out and get the secret stash of photos without a home.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 06:41 PM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Valri.
Congratulations.
You have discovered our secret underwater garden.
(don't tell everyone) lol

Joe
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Your photo's are fantastic Joe, those colors ! Great compositions and the detail. We don't have clownfish here. They are awfully cute! I'm a little embarrassed that I thought my pictures were good. LOL. Ah well, learning as with everything else.

Valri, looks like the whole thread is just for you ( and Dee) ! LOL. No telling the WDE folks because I'll be using some of these later. Shhhhh. It's our secret.

The new category is NOT up yet. I'm sure Dana will let us know but they are shooting for this weekend. I'm already planning some silks and a mosaic from some of Joes. They are gorgeous!

Li

Joe- which Olympus are you using ? We are going to the states next month for our quarterly shopping and I want to scope out some new cameras.

Last edited by lisilk : 08-18-2005 at 06:47 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2005, 10:22 PM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Olympus C-700 UZ (Ultra Zoom) (x10).
Its only a 3Mb, but it does what I want it to.
I have my eye on a 12MB, but the lottery will have to be won first.
I won't tell you again, stop knocking your photos, they are great - honestly.
You get far more vivid colours just under the surface as you do deeper down, unless you have a large underwater lamp with you (I did) - even during daytime.
With a good underwater lamp, you can look at a boring looking wall with lots of growth on it, and its all greyish.
Light the lamp and the wall explodes into a fascinating clourful underwater kingdom, just by adding light.

There are some good dedicated Underwater cameras about.
Instead of going into a Photography shop, try visiting the local Dive shop first.
They can tell you which works best underwater, far better than the man in the Camera shop.

Joe
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Okay Joe, I'm officially knocking it off. I accept and embrace my photo's. No more whining that I want to be you when I grow up. LOL. Thank you for the camera info. I will check with the dive shop in Fla. when Dave gets certified as well. There is a woman here who does underwater photography but her colors are very muted and she can't stand me so we are beyond the bonding and sharing information point. LOL.

BTW- Love the above and below shot as well. Two worlds co-existing. Can I ask what you did for a living before your illness ? ( Or after for that matter ? ) Your travel experiences and photography are what many people dream of.

I was out 2 1/2 hours snorkeling today. Twenty minutes out I realized that my camera batteries were still safely plugged into the wall recharging so no new pics today but I did find a lovely little reef within a 5 minute swim off shore. I have a Sealife camera but the camera itself is very limited.

Here's my local snorkel companion.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:06 PM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Li.
This is getting to be quite a long list of Photographs.
I remember the old days, when all you had to do was ask for a new catagory in the Library, and it was there the same day.
The only thing they worried about was that you had some photos to put in it.
It's not like we are asking for a new Forum.

Anyhow.
I have explained in other posts, that I left home when I was 15, and until the age of 30 I travelled the world with the RAF (Royal Air Force).
During that time I didn't have much money, so most of my photos were taken with a cheap 35mm camera.
It's only in the past few years I have upgraded to Digital, and still like to get away as often as I can.
I have a sister who owns a Hotel in Cyprus, so that was handy for my 6 month visits.

I have always been interested in photography since I started travelling.
Here are a few for today.

Crush Hour

Swimming With Dolphins

Drift Diving (this involves just drifting with the tide - sometimes VERY fast.

Fish In A Bottle

and finally, a beautifully coloured Nudibranch

Joe
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Joe, I see many "10's" in your future! Lol. Love the fish in the bottle and the lovely nudibranch. I think we have more than enough pictures, thanks to your fabulous collection and diving expertise. What an awesome category it will be.

I think categories went up faster when there were more on the library staff but I think they are doing the best under the circumstances. There's a lot of photo's to keep in order!
Joe- thanks for sharing your images with us and being instrumental in getting the new category going.

I ran ( literally ) headlong into a bull shark today, I was going in a hole and he was coming out. My first encounter with a bull shark and I was swimming alone. Would've made a great photo if I wasn't busy peeing my panties. LOL. I was shaking so bad I forgot to take the darned picture. What a spazz. Oh well.

Cheers

Li

Conch for dinner anyone ?

Last edited by lisilk : 08-19-2005 at 06:37 PM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 09:11 PM
A Local Legend
New York, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for your patience guys. I'm trying to figure it out. I think maybe the new category feature went down when the site went down. I've asked Kerri to look into it.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 10:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Thanks Dana. Fortunately, we here on wetcanvas are all very self entertaining and we're just oohhhing and ahhhing at each others photo's. LOL. We're a simple ( but happy) people.

Appreciate you making space for us in the library!

Cheers

Li

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northern Cal

Hails from United States

joe and li,
just want to say these photos are MAGIC! thanks for your efforts to get a new catagory, and for generously sharing.