WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #580 17 March - 25 March

9 - nuts - ink
10 - flower - ink
11 - candy - graphite
Attached Images

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Joan- Nice ink work on nuts and flower. Really like how you did cellophane on the Lifesaver. Nice job.

I got up a little after 7 by 7:30 was dressed and had coffee in hand. We have a cloudless sky for first time in well over a week so went out to enjoy and saw Moon so ran for pad and pencil. Note it was about 54°f so shaded in a sky and erased the Moon then went back in where coffee was added trees and fiddled with sky and moon. Pine Cone a deal is a deal bro.

5 moon graphite and eraser roughly 4 inches square

I know it does not look like a daytime sky but made it darker to make moon show.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 03-22-2019 at 12:19 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jo — Thanks so much 😊 Your lamp is feminine and lovely with those touches of pink, and I agree with Joe about your proficiency without a stylus on your iPhone. Cool fish, complete with bubbles! I love your description of yourself as a recorder — an essential and rare role. Without your efforts and the efforts of those like you across the ages, how could people have ever learned to get along well enough to survive? A recorder artist's work is a foundational part of history and your work is full of soul.

Joe — Your finished version is amazing! Beautifully lit, glowing from within, wow!!! 🔆

Joan — I love what you said about our minds. And your surfing dolphins story made me smile! And you actually got to touch one? What was that like? Could the dolphin feel your hand? Was s/he happy? Nice sketches, easy on the eyes, and especially the transparency of the Lifesavers wrapper.

Joe again You did it!!! You captured the Moon!!! Everything was against you but you found your moment, and it's lovely! Floating above the trees like that, it makes me think of magical childhood stories where only good things happen 😊 Thank you so much for walking this mile with me ✅ (More below to answer your previous thoughts, but first will post an item before I accidentally delete it )
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

item #5 - unique

sketch of "river rock" (a faux river rock)

Quite awhile ago, I made a polymer clay piece that reminded me of a river rock. After I finished it (baked it), I painted it with non-virtual acrylics. Rocks that have spent a lot of time being tumbled about in high mountain streams and rivers occasionally get holes in them and sometimes those holes are surprisingly round. Also, rocks that may be boring and dusty looking when dry, sometimes take on beautiful colors in a stream or rainstorm. Some of those possibilities showed up in the shaping and painting of the actual "river rock" but were lost or degraded in the sketch here of it.

Is this even making sense?

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to try to sketch my faux river rock as if it were actually in a shallow stream. I've never tried anything even remotely like this. Obviously. Sorry.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app for the sketch.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, border, downsize, and export.

Process:

Virtual acrylic on virtual panel.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Pine Cone I love the iridescent quality of the colors. Reminds me few years ago visiting my son went to river to watch salmon gather before the rapids and the sun on the water and fish flashed colors that exist only in nature. You captured that effect for me.

The shape of the rock even reminds me of a salmon head.

Joe
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 05:46 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joe, the tomato is almost a....some. Well done. The moon is super .. and you did a super job on it.

Joan, lovely brownish ink sketches. Nicely done on the candy.

Pine Cone, a handmade rock, that is fun. Is it pendant sized? Love the watery colors.

Thank you all so much. Lazy today, no sketching. Other things.
Winston Churchill
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 06:22 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe and Jo — Thank you both!

To answer Joe from before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I have never been a big fan of most abstract. I always though Jackson Pollack was making fun of art critics.
He could have been. I don't think so myself, but you could be right. And if so, he wouldn't be the first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I have learned to understand it more after taking the drawing classes here in Drawing and Sketching forum....She suggested those of us ‘stuck in realism’ take an object and mentally break it up drawing all, most or some of the pieces but place them randomly about the page.
That sounds like an interesting exercise. But I'm always puzzled by people's discussions around the idea of "understanding" an abstract (or not understanding it). For me, being drawn to a piece doesn't have anything to do with understanding it. There might be two paintings or horses side by side. Understanding (recognizing) that each painting is of a horse not only does not require thought but does not influence whether I like one piece or the other, or both, or neither. For me, enjoying art includes invoking the freedom to look at any painting of any kind in a way that's as effortless and filter-free as gazing at paintings of horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
She also suggested using a non-standard format like tall and narrow or oblong oval to wake up the brain.
I agree! Tall and narrow! My favorite format for many years! (Still is.) Back when I still had a computer and painted in Corel Painter, a high percentage were very tall and narrow. When my cats died as well as my computer, and I began to paint with non-virtual paints, I ended up gravitating to tall and slender canvases and panels (e.g., 6"x36"). I also used that format for most of my photographic artwork.

What I discovered in those sizes differed.

In the first scenario (below), imagine two people (for example), just their faces, one far left, the other far right. Both gazing down, the left more sharply than the right. I've found an indefinable tension in situations like that which I couldn't convey as well in any other size.

In another scenario, I often end up painting something far off center near a narrow edge. The rest of the canvas is also painted, but is often free of major elements. And then I usually find an indefinable restful peace in the overall painting that occurs without me trying for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I do find it interesting that you talk about the joy of the act of painting and basically watching what happens. (My words to describe what you said.)
For me, it's really interesting to be involved in that way, and to be part of creating something that's never been seen before. But as you say, it certainly isn't the only way to paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I do not know where or how I developed it but for me the goal in most of my art is to recreate what I see. I study and try various techniques to learn better ways to do that. I cannot think of a single time I sat down to capture a feeling. Some pieces my goal was to get a positive reaction, like a portrait I did of my son and granddaughter. My son is a much better artist than I am and my goal was for him to love it.
I love your process, and the way you feel about, and the profound uses you have found for creating artwork. I can't think of a more wonderful thing to do than to paint your loved ones, and to paint for your loved ones. It's incredibly meaningful. Your love and affection for them is moving. You're all so very fortunate to have each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I guess when you come down to it I approach art with an engineer ‘s mindset. Define the goal; use most efficient method to achieve it; do it. In some cases the process is the whole thing as I explore a technique, the end result is merely a result of the process. Emotion is not typically a part of my process even if the result causes an emotional response in a viewer....I approach it as an engineer.
What a beautiful process. You have literally turned engineering into an art, and extended the benefits of engineering beyond the confines of the office into the wider world! You and those like you have built a beneficial civilization up from the ground and set us on our way to unimaginable journeys toward the stars through your efforts.

Thank you for sharing your process and explaining it so clearly. I believe that your dedication to this way of creating is incredibly beneficial for our entire planet.

Thank you so much!
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 06:34 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jo — Apologies, I meant to answer your kind question earlier. It's the right size, but I don't think it would be comfortable because the back isn't flat. It's bumpy. I carry it around in my pocket like a worry stone
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

EP, cool answer to almond, clever doggie treat bonbon, nice work on the sad flower, carrot and egg. Love those little penguins...
PC, nice work on the moon and stars, hope the frostbite is better . No idea what you want to fix on the dolphin, its lovely. Like the rock too, my dear mum collected stones off the beach and hung them on a string outside the door, I now have some of them, I marvel at nature whenever I look at them...
Joan, sweet watercolour of the two ladies, love those shamrock tights peeping out thru the jeans . Lovely cupids and still life of fruits. Cool nuts, flower and candy, and super work on the bagpipes, love the sound of bagpipes ...
Jo, nice group esp those feathers, and wow to the big birds ...love the blue bonnet . what a beautiful lamp, fishes are so relaxing, they are often a feature in waiting rooms...radiology! hope you're okay...
Joe, beautiful work on the pliers, clever nut n nail. Snap on the juicy tomato . Neat moon, I often see it at daytime, weird. ...

Last edited by Scattykat : 03-23-2019 at 09:29 AM.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

...a few more done this morning...
4 - wine, well the cork from the bottle...
5 - glass, a mini tankard from my favourite charity shop...
6 - nut - an almond in the glass
7 - bonbon, cough sweet, also in the glass, tis a very mini glass...
8 - sub for moon, a star shaped pencil sharpener I got outta a cracker at Christmas...

photo of mini glass and stuff...

PC, here's some of my mumma's stones on a string...

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Scatty, the stones are a great keepsake. Lovely to have. Your little mug is precious with the fun star and goodies. Yay! Thank you.

Hey, PC and all the rest.
Winston Churchill
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Skatty - Nice composition. lots of color. Eye catching. Hope you did not bite into that cracker to find the star sharpener. The stones as jo said are definitely a keepsake.

keep sketching
Joe
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Joe - Thank you. Love your moon in the sky. Glad you finally got to sketch it!

Pine Cone - Thanks. I touched a dolphin in an enclosure at the aquarium once. I would rather see them free since I don't know if they were happy there. They seem to be such playful, friendly creatures. Your sketch of the rock that way is really lovely. I like the way the drawing program still lets the color blending look like granulating colors in the river bed.

Jo - Thank you.

Kat - Thanks! Great still life in and around your little vessel. The cork is great...wish I had thought of that. I have a keepsake one somewhere from Italy.

These were done yesterday with the NYC Urban Sketchers. We went to an place that was an indoor flea market and "smorgasburg" of all different kinds of food stands.

12 - big birds (Peking Ducks) - watercolors and ink
13 - unique sweets (ring dings if anyone knows what they are) - watercolors and ink
14 - a favorite (an art corner for kids and adults) - watercolors and ink
Attached Images

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
That sounds like an interesting exercise. But I'm always puzzled by people's discussions around the idea of "understanding" an abstract (or not understanding it). For me, being drawn to a piece doesn't have anything to do with understanding it. There might be two paintings or horses side by side. Understanding (recognizing) that each painting is of a horse not only does not require thought but does not influence whether I like one piece or the other, or both, or neither. For me, enjoying art includes invoking the freedom to look at any painting of any kind in a way that's as effortless and filter-free as gazing at paintings of horses.

PC, I think we are using "understand" in different ways. When I look at fine art I believe it should either make me feel something. If I look at it and do not feel any thing than I say I do not understand it. As i say that I suddenly realize I was wrong earlier as I do want an emotional response to my art even if I do not create it with emotion. (Hope that makes sense.) But back to 'understanding', I think a better way to say it might be that I do not understand what the artist wanted to achieve. I have seen a few abstracts that elicit a feeling but using Pollack again, his work looks more like an old drop cloth than art. By the same token most of what you post here has an abstract feel to it and I love it. The "river rock" stirred a fond memory for me. It has an abstract feel/look/style to it but I "understood" it i.e. it made me feel I have seen beautiful realistic drawings and paintings that I also did not "understand". I might have marveled at the technique but that is not the same. My appreciation of art and my creation of it obviously follow different paths.

Quote:
In another scenario, I often end up painting something far off center near a narrow edge. The rest of the canvas is also painted, but is often free of major elements. And then I usually find an indefinable restful peace in the overall painting that occurs without me trying for it.

For me, it's really interesting to be involved in that way, and to be part of creating something that's never been seen before. But as you say, it certainly isn't the only way to paint.

Agree that imbalance can create tension and interest, but that also leads to the type of abstract that (will not use understand ) does nothing for me for instance a small red cube in corner of a white canvas. *yawn*

Quote:
What a beautiful process. You have literally turned engineering into an art, and extended the benefits of engineering beyond the confines of the office into the wider world! You and those like you have built a beneficial civilization up from the ground and set us on our way to unimaginable journeys toward the stars through your efforts.

I want to say thanks for the compliments however I should add I was a Systems Engineer designing weapon systems which many may not consider beneficial.

Love these discussions with you. You make me think about art.
Joe
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Joan - Use to love Ring Dings. Do love your urban sketches, a flea market iwth lots of food booths sounds fun and fattening. Thanks for sharing.

Keep sketching
Joe