WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2019, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States
Re: WOYE (What's On Your Easel) 2019

Very nice, Sheila, a great start.
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2019, 11:16 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Merri - if it's of any use to you - I see the eagle soaring in the sky - no ground - seeking freedom from the earth!

Wet Rat - hmmmm - not sure that's the best way to learn about your brushes but whatever works for you!
You could try, using variety of shapes and sizes - learning what shape of mark a brush makes, one stroke at a time .... then you could try building a form with those brush strokes you like - it all builds control
You could also see what strength/fluidity you need to paint, say, a line - smoothly!

Sheila - nice fish ... I love his surprised expression - 'gulp' he said! Why not make that gravel more colourful by adding blues to it instead of just greys (from black and white)?

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Maureen, I did want to give him a landing post, and I did want to make him look like an aussie bird. I went for a walk down the creek in the morning for inspiration, and try as I might, I really don't care for the gum tree look.
So, I did get inspiration from my trip to north shots from last Jan, and decided he'd be better painted in his natural environment. I was never fond of the red dirt until I went north... but I was enthralled by the colours of the landscape... so I have so far done this. There are charcoal lines all over this, which can be wiped off easily. I painted this chap free hand, so I have made it up as I go, but I am starting to really like the way its going.
Here is how I left off last night... with lots of stuff to fix up. but its not hard to do. I like the sky... that is finished, I decided on those old dead stumps and the broken down fence... so I shall continue in this vein.

my idea is to give the eye a resting place, so that is all the right side ( looking at it)
C& C welcome everyone who looks.

#154   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

ps. I wanted to show off the birds 3 metre wingspan. That is what enthralls me about these wedgies. Will post updated when I clear off the ground properly.
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2019, 12:48 AM
Warrenton Missouri

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Wet Rat - hmmmm - not sure that's the best way to learn about your brushes but whatever works for you!
You could try, using variety of shapes and sizes - learning what shape of mark a brush makes, one stroke at a time .... then you could try building a form with those brush strokes you like - it all builds control
You could also see what strength/fluidity you need to paint, say, a line - smoothly!

I'm holding the brush close to the end. Even when painting loose you still need a little finesse. When I was trying watercolor I could rest my arm or elbow on the table. Held the brush more like you would a pencil. No such support with the canvas flat on a wall. Plus with the busyness end out away from me. Completely different feel. Different arm and hand movement. Have somewhat of an idea of what each brush will do for me. Practicing strokes and painting in watercolor. OK, more like making messes in watercolor. I have my first acrylic paining composition planned out. All I need to do is put it to scale on the paper and I'm off to the races! I have no clue on how to paint this. Looking forward to making a mess!
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2019, 04:00 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet rat
I'm holding the brush close to the end. Even when painting loose you still need a little finesse. When I was trying watercolor I could rest my arm or elbow on the table. Held the brush more like you would a pencil. No such support with the canvas flat on a wall. Plus with the busyness end out away from me. Completely different feel. Different arm and hand movement. Have somewhat of an idea of what each brush will do for me. Practicing strokes and painting in watercolor. OK, more like making messes in watercolor. I have my first acrylic paining composition planned out. All I need to do is put it to scale on the paper and I'm off to the races! I have no clue on how to paint this. Looking forward to making a mess!

I think that if you proceed with how you cognitively understand to feel the paint, the brushes, the different holding of the brushes and so forth, it will be a great way. I like your idea very much. I know that we all learn our way differently. I am really interested in seeing how your painting comes along... I like your concept.

just as a btw, I am very much into water colour painting, and yes, sitting down and painting is very much easier than standing at an easel. I am just learning with acrylics, and have joined in with the acrylic monthly challenges to get me started... It has been very helpful.

cheers.
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2019, 06:01 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sorry rat ... I misunderstood and thought the page of letters was the exercise ( as in holding brush as pencil!!) Yes, standing, holding brush at handle end does make you feel the process differently! ...... I no longer paint that way, too tiring!

Merri, see what you mean about him landing

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Still a ton to do. Working the background and giving myself some direction..

Will put indication of those little bushes and rocks in I think.. at the moment I just play with charcoal . Bright ideas and critique welcome... I have not done anything at all to the eagle this week even though I have been working for hours and hours on this pic. Its been all background. This is turning out to be bigger than Ben Hur !!!

C& C and ideas welcome... thanks for looking.
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Canada

Hails from Canada

That eagle looks great and so full of wonderful colour....the wingspan of these large birds of prey always amazes me.
This is just wonderful work.
John
( I am currently working on a few pieces...seems to be how I paint these days and have a landscape, and a painting of some raccoons on the go right now. )

Last edited by Reddyman : 04-05-2019 at 10:30 PM.
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Merri, that’s looking gorgeous!
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Thank you John.. I am clearly in awe of these birds too... I would like to see your raccoons when you are ready. I don't believe I have ever seen one apart from pictures...

Sykirobme - thank you... coming along slowly here... will continue work on this as its not something that I want hanging about for too much longer... will post the completed pic when I am ready... fingers crossed I need to come up for air soon...
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

This isn't looking like much yet, just a very rough and scrubby underpainting. Based on a couple pics I found with some random Google searches.

#163   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Are you tackling this one in the same manner as the last Ken?

**My SAA website**
  #164   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Maureen: I'm gonna try! I was very happy with the last result, and I'd like to explore that direction some more.
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

CHINESE LANTERNS 8X10 Liquitex on canvas panel

Hello-Just thought I would share my first ever acrylic painting I did today. From photo reference here on WC. I usually work in either watercolor or pastel but wanted to give acrylic a try since my hubby (a commercial artist) no longer uses acrylics and gave me his stash. I had a few cheap canvas panels and brushes in my studio so I gave it a shot. My style of painting has changed recently to a more Colorist/Impressionistic style and I've found it really suits my sensibilities and boosted my creativity as well. I will definitely be creating more work in acrylics!
Col. 3:23