WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2018, 02:33 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa
Re: The recent painting that you like.

One I discovered yesterday on Gandalf's Gallery:

Beppe Ciardi (1875-1932) - Fishing Boats in the Lagoon, Venice. Oil on canvas, 95 x 120 cm

Never heard of him before, but this is a nice piece.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

New painting from one of ours.....forum name "Hairy wolf", on the acrylics forum.

"Not Everyone Has a Green Dog"

"Hairy" has this wonderful style that is awkward in an interesting way and often quite touching and pretty. Just put it in a museum and no one would think twice.

Last edited by john : 08-26-2018 at 02:39 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Wow, John!! You included my thingy among a few great works. Oh my....
Thank you!!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

A great work by a Chicago based (Romanian born) artist by the name of Costel Iarca.
He works primarily in acrylics on large canvases.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2018, 11:52 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
New painting from one of ours.....forum name "Hairy wolf", on the acrylics forum.

"Not Everyone Has a Green Dog"

"Hairy" has this wonderful style that is awkward in an interesting way and often quite touching and pretty. Just put it in a museum and no one would think twice.

It is indeed rather nice. I would have guessed it is oil, and perhaps done by some or other German expressionist. But Mr. Wolf will never get rich and famous if he doesn't have a website where we can all go take a look at his other work.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 09:19 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy wolf

A great work by a Chicago based (Romanian born) artist by the name of Costel Iarca.
He works primarily in acrylics on large canvases.

Nice, a mish mash of purple, green, black and pink mud that has no meaning to me other than its total rubbish. That's not to say others may like it, there's no accounting for taste. I bit 😊

Last edited by ianuk : 08-27-2018 at 09:31 AM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:17 AM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

How about this one, Ian?

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:21 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Or this?

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:55 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Nope! Same mish mash mud, just using different colour.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 01:46 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

But very expensive mish-mashes. Philip Guston and Willem DeKooning. Not to say that because they are famous and expensive everyone must like them. Of course I'm playing something of the devil"s advocate here. I prefer Guston's and DeKooning's figurative works myself. But then I've already admitted to agreeing with Oscar Wilde's suggestion that an artist is 'the creator of beautiful things." So I can appreciate a work of art that is abstract if I can appreciate the beauty of the image/object. I actually find the Guston painting to be quite exquisite.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 01:58 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I prefer the Guston to the De Kooning. I like many of Kandinsky's works and others.
For me, the art is lacking in discernable merit. What else is there to say.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me that I am lacking in understanding of such art and that I should keep an open mind as to the virtue of such.

If so, I hope they can help me to understand the criteria of what's good about the work. What beauty they extol and what emotion they radiate to the viewer. Or is it just a prententious way of showing one is of intellectual thinking. Because basically, as far as art is concerned, they're mediocre at best.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 04:25 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Lord of the Arts

Puerto Rico Sun by Rafael Ferrer

Last edited by harrymspitz : 08-27-2018 at 05:20 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 06:59 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

“Dog” by Nick Alm

I just came upon this painting posted by Alm on his Facebook and Instagram pages. He is another artist I have been aware of for some time even though his work strikes me as a bit too much indebted to the academic realism of the 19th century... especially John Singer Sargent... for my own taste. Even so... it is very fine for what it is. The brushwork is masterful and fluid... yet conveys a clear solidity of form. His use of color is intentionally limited... yet elegant. I especially admire his restaurant scenes...

... and his intimate “boudoir” paintings:

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 07:22 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

How can I admire the paintings of Nick Alm... and those of DeKooning and Guston? The same way I can take pleasure in the very different musical forms of J.S. Bach, Richard Wagner, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Merle Haggard, and The Rolling Stones.

As I mentioned in my post on Guernica in another thread here, I don’t think it’s necessary to have some in depth understanding of the history and the theory behind a work of art to take pleasure in it. The Guston painting speaks to me first and foremost as an unabashed play with brushwork and joyful color. I doubt that anything I tell you concerning Guston’s intentions, development, the development and concepts behind Abstract Expressionism, Guston’s admiration of Monet and Mondrian... is going to change your response to his paintings. Neither would I expect that a serious scholarly discussion of the nutritional value of Brussel Sprouts or Lima Beans would lead to you liking them if you don’t like them now.

Honestly, I didn’t come around to admiring most abstract painting until I first saw many of them in person. I began to question how it was that I could enjoy the abstract design in works of architecture, a Persian rug, or even something in nature, like a rock formation... and yet not an abstract painting? I also began to recognize that in an abstract work I could appreciate the design and composition elements, the brush work, the physical surface without a concern for these needing to represent another thing. When I began to work abstractly myself, I was able to push elements of design, surface, and color more freely... without concerning myself with “correct” drawing, perspective, etc... I greatly value what I learned from this experience even now... years after returning to figurative art... and I still greatly value a good deal of abstract art. I can’t fathom the inability of many of those who love figurative and realistic art to appreciate a fine abstract painting any more than I can fathom the inability of those who embrace Abstraction and contemporary art forms to also be able to appreciate a painting such as Nick Alm’s above.