WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Rob's 2014 Sketches...

Purr, thank you! The weather's been improving and I go out now every two weeks to get my shot at the hospital clinic - and I changed my pickup time. I now have at least half an hour, sometimes an hour to hang out sketching in the hospital's Memory Garden and the rose garden is in full bloom!

Wednesday, the gardeners were out there taking off the dead roses and one of them gave me a beautiful white rosebud barely starting to open. I retrieved a small dusty pink one that was off the side of a dead rose too, so brought them both home and set them up. Sketched the white one on the spot and finished it later with the same colored pencils.

Today's sketch of both roses from life, 6B pencil on Stillman & Birn rough paper Delta journal 7" square.

Colored pencils version of both roses from Wednesday, in Prismacolor Watercolor pencils with some washes and some dry over the washes in some areas. I love those pencils for sketching! Going to continue sketching the same flowers as they bloom wider, very glad the little dusty pink one survived. Color isn't exactly accurate on the pink one but some of that is my camera, it's become a very cool, dusty pink in person.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2014, 03:31 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh dang it, my post is lost. Well, here's two recent sketches of a couple of roses the gardener at the hospital gave me Wednesday:

Roses from life, Prismacolor Watercolor pencils on rough Stillman & Birn Delta journal, 7" square.

6B pencil sketch, the same two roses two days later on same journal.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2014, 01:22 AM
Currently in China

Hails from Finland

Beautiful colors in that white rose Robert!!

blog: http://www.jennymoedkorpela.blogspot.com
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2014, 04:36 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Nice work!

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2014, 04:31 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Robert, you post wasn't lost. WC has been having bugs again.

The roses are beautiful. So glad the weather is improving for you.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2014, 08:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Robert, super job on the roses.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow thank you! LOL that my post wasn't lost and both versions went up! Well, I did like the text of the "lost" one better.

The rose is still alive and here's my latest version of it, same journal!

White Rose from Life
7" square
Pan Pastels including Metallics
Stillman & Birn Delta journal rough watercolor paper.

I felt like using the metallics again and giving it a background to make it stand out as whiter. So much of it isn't actually white. It's starting to be just a little floppy now but has such beautiful form!

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Delightful rose.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! I seem to be getting on a roll and back to pastels! This one is from the May Pastel Spotlight up in Soft Pastel Talk.

Spring Robin
9" x 12" (may be cropped in matting)
Color Conte on yellowish gray Artagain paper
Photo reference by DAK723

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2014, 02:20 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Other than flowers, the red breasted robin is a definite sign that spring has arrived. Super sketch.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2014, 05:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Nice flowers and bird. Glad you are getting out a bit!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thank you! I love how that robin turned out, he's on my wall. Also on my wall is this spring flowers pastel that I finished a couple days ago:

9" x 12"
Unison pastels on cream colored Canson Mi Tientes, smooth side. Photo reference by DAK720 for May 2014 Pastel Spotlight challenge. It's up on the sketch wall and I like it more the longer it's been up, though the lighting on the photo is because of the day being bright. I went near the window and so the left side is more shadowed and the bright daylight highlighted the right side more than the painting really is.

Then last Friday I went to a doctor appointment and had an hour to spend in the hospital's Memory Garden. I brought pastel pencils for life sketching.

I'm currently using a 7" square Stillman & Birn Delta journal for my art journal and doing some pastel pieces in it, Conte sketches and Pan Pastels and maybe even softer pastels later on, with SpectraFix fixative.

I did this beautiful white rose from life in Pan Pastels a while back, it's posted on this thread but here it is again:

Loved it, one of the best pages in my journal, a real showoff piece. I love doing roses and for decades had trouble with them. Once I actually got rose anatomy it was a thrill to be able to do them. So this was great. I also got to test my Pan Pastels on rough watercolor paper instead of coated paper with great joy in the background.

This one was intended as a botanical sketch in pastel pencils and it worked, it's very accurate and the colors are pretty darn close. Leaves are a lighter sketch because I didn't have time to work them longer but I liked their accuracy too. I used SpectraFix fixative on it. I had the small mister with me, used it outdoors and had it too close to the painting. It puddled. This sometimes isn't a problem if I just give it enough time to dry. And lo, it seemed to dry well and nicely on this side of the painting. But the back of it is the white Pans rose.

It slightly softened it because it puddled but didn't lose too much detail and I was happy with the result. Just a quick botanical life sketch.

After it dried I flipped it over and saw the back.

The reason the SpectraFix puddle dried so fast was that it soaked right through the porous rough watercolor paper and carried pigment with it. The ghost of the bright pink flower is now staining my white rose painting. Even brighter than it was on the side where it's really there, it was the brightest pigments that migrated. Arrgh!

I debated how to fix it, my first thought was to try going over it with the white Pan and grays and complements to try to fix the damage, restore it even if that means the reworked version isn't as loose as the original.

But my home care worker Elgie had a different suggestion. He looked at it and said "Well, why not just go with it and work over what you have to turn it into a pink or maybe red rose?"

Wow. Duh. Yeah. That made sense. It will mean using Magenta and Red and tints but I could probably do that and just work in the pink shadowing into the highlights on a red rose, cool red rose, or play with both cool and warm reds in it to make it lively. Or a dark pink rose. Not sure what the final hue will be but that's the solution I'm now thinking about.

I can see that bright hot pink that seeped through will give some brightness to the highlights... but I've also learned painfully that I need to be really careful with the small mister and not use it outdoors but indoors where it's more controllable. It squirted rather than misted. Very frustrating but the big mister bottle worked better at home on many different pages without ghosting through. This is the first time it happened.

Anyone else have any interesting mishaps or surprising serendipitous fixes? I'll miss the White Rose painting but the red-pink rose will still be a good page in my journal. I'll post it once it's done.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2014, 03:37 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Oh shame about that but your solution is another challenge

A nice series Rob

Ialso did some roses recently and yes, you do have to work on understanding their anatomy , which you did successfully .

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Nice florals...sorry about the bleed through, but maybe you can work it out.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2014, 02:35 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Sometimes all it takes is a different set of eyes. Turning your white rose into a pink one of some hue is a brilliant solution. Sorry about the bleed-through. Lovely flowers all around.