WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Newbies downrating photos in RIL

I get you Judy.
I think the ratings show up on all photos whoever rated them and a photo that has received a rating of 2 will show up as that to all.

But only I know the perpetrator via the message - that is how I know they are new to the site, one had only joined 2 days before rating a photo 2. (One which had been used successfully by others in a WDE too)

I don't crop or do the composition for people. I post ones that can be cropped so that the artist is able to have some input and can crop to their own composition. So a photo with lots of things in it allows the artist to use their own creativity. Maybe they don't like it because all the work isn't done for them and they have to select what to include/leave out and do some compositional work themselves.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 PM
A Local Legend
Windswept Prairieland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrockchick
I get you Judy.
I think the ratings show up on all photos whoever rated them and a photo that has received a rating of 2 will show up as that to all.

But only I know the perpetrator via the message - that is how I know they are new to the site, one had only joined 2 days before rating a photo 2. (One which had been used successfully by others in a WDE too)

I don't crop or do the composition for people. I post ones that can be cropped so that the artist is able to have some input and can crop to their own composition. So a photo with lots of things in it allows the artist to use their own creativity. Maybe they don't like it because all the work isn't done for them and they have to select what to include/leave out and do some compositional work themselves.

SPOT ON!

I leave all editing up to other artists.

Judy - yes, you can only see who rates your own photos, but when they DO rate your photos, others can only see a poor rating, not who left it.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2013, 01:21 PM
A Local Legend
Windswept Prairieland

Hails from United States

Although, to be fair!, I have accidentally rated a photo a two or 1, because another site I use has the rating circles going the other direction. Once you hit "send", you cannot take it back! ACK! I have also accidentally reported bad posts, icon confusion.

So.....
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

The rating system is silly IMHO. What I would consider to be a 10, does not mean that everyone else will consider it to be the same. The RIL is just for references, it is not a popularity contest.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
A WC! Legend

I think maybe an answer would be to alter the permissions of new members so that they have to at least of participated in the forums before being able to rate photos. It would seem to me that they make an account and the only thing they do is go to RIL and downrate photos.
I think it should be like the debating forum, they should not be allowed to rate until they have at least made 100 posts.

....and I know that not everyone will like everything...... but then why bother to open the thumbnail and bother to look if you know, for example that you dont' like seascapes. If a photo was so poor that it warranted a rating of 1 then I'm sure you mods would not have approved them.

I only bother the rate what I like. If I don't like it, I wouldn't bother to look.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Another possibility is trolls or trollish behavior..

I would take any unusually poor ratings with a grain of salt...
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Just remember not all memers have good taste or judgement.

Doug
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj84
Another possibility is trolls or trollish behavior..

I would take any unusually poor ratings with a grain of salt...

That is my thoughts.
Mainly because, I've clicked on the profile of the raters and there is absolutely nothing on there. No post count. Recent join up date etc.

There are people who take pleasure in signing up for communities when bored and trolling maliciously.

I seriously think that a posting limit would put a stop to this. They have to post say at least 100 posts before being allowed to rate. I am sure this would stop them.

If it is just a matter of personal taste by genuine members, their profile would show number of posts/threads and some info.

I do not think these are genuine.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrockchick
I do not think these are genuine.
Then why take them seriously? It doesn't make any sense to me that you care if you don't believe they are genuine ratings.

I seriously doubt that having a minimum of 100 posts is going to stop what you consider to be malicious ratings. And to be honest, the majority of photos in the RIL are sub-par to say the least. These are references for artistic ideas not for technical ability and appeal. Go to the photography forum if you want that. Also there are plenty of sites on the web that show case photography perfection. I know I am a member of one. Would I post any of my photos here that end up on that web site? Hell, no.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 AM
A WC! Legend

I'd like to think that most of my photos are a good quality, as a keen photographer.
I have a new camera now. It has great potential! Just need to get out and about to try it out. It's good for gigs.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

There is a huge difference between what would be considered a good quality photo for the sake of a photo in itself and one that is inspiring enough to be used for reference. It is a completely different mindset. That is what people are scoring on in the RIL i.e. how appealing/detailed it is as a reference.

Every camera has great potential if the user knows how to use it properly. Even a simple point and shoot can get great images. I know. My EOS Rebel SL1 was out shone in several instances by my Sony DSC-RX100 when I did a recent trip out west.

Also on that trip I took ~1000 images and only about 30-40 will I consider to be exceptional enough to make it onto my website.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM
A WC! Legend

Fine art photography is just as exciting as painting. Sometimes it can take 100s of shots to get that perfect one.
I've got great shots with my Nikon Coolpix, which I've outgrown. It's handy because it slips into my handbag/pocket, but a slight breeze and the shot is ruined!
Been years since I've had to use a camera with manual features. I have to re-teac myself the F stops and isos and apertures and stuff. Still, it will be worth it in the end.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

I have to agree. But very few people are even good at "fine art" photography. Most camera users take snap shots and do not consider POV or any emotional connection to the image. That has been the majority of the images in the RIL with the exception of a few members who take exceptional images.

As David Alan Harvey said "Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like." If you cannot evoke an emotional response in the viewer then you as a photographer have failed to capture the essence of the image. You need to ask yourself what is it about the scene that makes you want to photograph it and when you have done so, does that same feeling exist when you look at the files. My approach for photography is to find the extraordinary in the ordinary. Do I achieve that with every shot? No, but in a good deal of them, I do.

So, getting back to the real issue at hand, you have down loaded to the RIL 100s and 100s of images. I know I have helped to approve them. Some of them are the same image with very little adjustment. Maybe you got in slightly closer or moved 2 steps to the side, etc; you get my meaning though. Do you honestly think the majority of them are good when many of them are slightly different variations of the same thing?

Or to put it another way, with those photos that you got a poor rating on, would you ever consider using them as a reference for a painting/whatever your media choice is?

I am trying to be pragmatic here and my intention is not to offend you in any way. Maybe I have over stepped the mark but a data dump of 100s of images is going to get you some low scores on some of them at least.