WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Aiken, SC

Hails from United States
How do I go about getting collectors?

I keep reading about artists who sell to their collectors.

My question is how/where do I get collectors?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States
Re: How do I go about getting collectors?

Artists with collectors generally have been around a long time, and are prolific, personable, and public. Good luck!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

Collectors are your buyers who come back and buy again and again. So repeat buyers. You get them first by finding buyers generally and then nurturing those buyers to build a relationship and if they like your work enough they follow your career and continue to buy new works.

Tina.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM
WC! Guide
Sometimes it's nice to remember those we admired.

Hails from Ireland

everywhere..... but you need to find your own market where you can, and as others have said, then keep them loyal. A collector base is exponential, the more you have, the more will get introduced to your work.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelady
Collectors are your buyers who come back and buy again and again. So repeat buyers. You get them first by finding buyers generally and then nurturing those buyers to build a relationship and if they like your work enough they follow your career and continue to buy new works.

Tina.

Like me
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

What a question. How/where do you get collectors?

Haven't you heard? You simply get them at Wellingtons, the collector supermarket. They run about $299.99 USD.

Well, sorry, I couldn't resist.

I started with my own circle of friends. I wrote a newsletter to them asking if any of them would like to purchase any of my paintings. I invited them over to my studio for a get together and asked them all to bring at least one friend of theirs that I did not know.

Now, most of my friends could not afford art, but I started my work at low prices and I offered payment plans.

I gathered all the new people's addresses and then they also got newsletters, and I always asked if they knew of anyone who might be interested in my work to connect us: either bring them over or give me their address so I could add them to my list.

After some years, my list grew from 10 to 500. After 10 years, 500 to 1000. after the internet came along, the next 10 years I gathered a few thousand more. People opt out, and new people join. You win some, you lose some.

Patience, marketing, promotion, exhibitions, open studios, lots and lots of personal communication, commissions, sales, making it possible for someone who really does love your work to own it... you have to build your house carefully and kind of slowly, but it won't take forever. The internet makes it SO much easier. You'll see.

I hope I've helped and you didn't mind my little joke.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Long
Like me

heehee, YES!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelady

Tina.

I have been painting all my life but I'm new to selling artwork. So I haven't done much marketing. I just sell on local classifies. But I do get a lot of buyers come back and say "do you have any new works?" Or "my friends want to have your contact info." I guess these people could be my collectors someday.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklms
I have been painting all my life but I'm new to selling artwork. So I haven't done much marketing. I just sell on local classifies. But I do get a lot of buyers come back and say "do you have any new works?" Or "my friends want to have your contact info." I guess these people could be my collectors someday.

They already are!