WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast
Virginia

Hails from United States
Re: Watercolour sketchbook

Your sketches are fantastic, especially the leaves. Our palettes are very similar. I just couldn't live without Buff Titanium :P I like the idea of your Bistre custom mix!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brindle
Your sketches are fantastic, especially the leaves. Our palettes are very similar. I just couldn't live without Buff Titanium :P I like the idea of your Bistre custom mix!

Thanks. I find I end up wanting Buff Titanium even if I reduce to 7 or 8 colours. It does so much, and with granulating Goethite, it renders beaches, shells, rocks and so on so readily.

The 'bistre' is brilliant - it saves all that mixing time, and can be used to lightly sketch a painting, very diluted, before you even start instead of a pencil, or at the end for the strong shadows. And it shades other colours if necessary, especially the greens. Anyway, I put it into all my students' palettes to keep them away from blacks or paynes grey and it works a treat. I mix it to just a blue side of grey - seems more useful that way - stir it well and let it dry.

What are your other colours? I do change mine around at times - I am about to try W & N Quin Magenta as my cool red. I am also going to give M Graham Quin Rose a go (not easy to get in Australia) - apparently it is a very red version, but usually I stick with Daniel Smith.

My Website
My Blog
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast
Virginia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinacridone Gold
Thanks. I find I end up wanting Buff Titanium even if I reduce to 7 or 8 colours. It does so much, and with granulating Goethite, it renders beaches, shells, rocks and so on so readily.

The 'bistre' is brilliant ... I mix it to just a blue side of grey - seems more useful that way - stir it well and let it dry.

What are your other colours? I do change mine around at times - I am about to try W & N Quin Magenta as my cool red. I am also going to give M Graham Quin Rose a go (not easy to get in Australia) - apparently it is a very red version, but usually I stick with Daniel Smith.

I have been fickle about colors in the past but have finally settled on these 10 in my sketch kit:

Buff Titanium (PW6)
Permanent Yellow Light (PY155)
Quinacridone Gold (PO49 -- the "real" one)
Lukas Red (PR254) or Permanent Red (PR242)
Magenta (PR122)
Maroon Perylene (PR179)
Indanthrone Blue (PB60)
Cyan (PB15:3)
Cobalt Turquoise (PG50)
Pthalo Green (PG7)

I am going to ditch the PG7 in favor of an indigo mix like your "bistre". I keep thinking I want to ditch the warm red for Burnt Sienna Deep (PR101) but reality is, I can mix a pretty nice alternative from PO49 + PR179 so it seems a waste of space. And I can't really mix a good saturated warm red alternative from the other colors on the palette. In any event, this palette is definitely intended as a mixing palette and the colors were chosen to that end. I really enjoy the process of observing a color in real life and then trying to figure out how to mix it.

Incidentally, PG50 is a wonderful color ... great for bright blue skies and offers granulating pastel mixes similar to PW6 but in green, blue or purple tones that are just gorgeous.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

beautiful

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Brindle
That's an interesting palette - really strong blue, deep crimson/maroon and quin gold is an amazing 'primary' mixing triad - your paintings must have some oomph. Or a CMY triad if you want. Nice. I tend to paint so much natural stuff that I like to have an earth colour, and wouldn't want to drop Burnt Sienna, even though it can be mixed. I am less of a fan of PR101 'cos of the opaque and sometimes 'dead' look it can have and it doesn't like mixing with Ultramarine, my main blue.

You can mix a pretty bright red with the magenta (assuming it's W & N - almost a pink?) + quin gold can't you? If you want to drop the warm red.

I've sampled a little Cobalt Turquoise and agree it's a gorgeous colour.
I love granulation. I haven't used it for any paintings though - just one of those DS 'try it' dots! I'll have a look at your website to see what you do with it...

I am always fascinated by the colours people choose. Everyone's choice depends so much on what you are going to choose to paint with them.

My Website
My Blog
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

yum - what a scrumptious journal, love your work, cannot pick a fave, they are all super, thanks so much for sharing these delights...
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast
Virginia

Hails from United States

Jane: color choices ARE an addiction, LOL! Yes, this palette mixes brightly but the buff titanium and cobalt turquoise can knock things down back into "earth tone" territory which I guess is why they are so useful. I can mix a gigantic range of greens and browns with this palette. I have many "colorplay" sketchbooks filled with nothing but blobs of mingled paint, transition exercises, value studies, etc. It is by doing that that I've managed to come round to these choices but as my earlier comment indicates...there is no such thing as a "be all, end all" selection when it comes to pigments!!!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I agree! I don't know if you have seen the poll I started, well two actually, on 'just 6 colours' or '12 colour palette' in the learning zone. I have had a careful look at the palettes others have chosen and it's great to get fresh ideas. You play around with your own studies then see someones else's favourites and play around again to see what they can do. Peryleen Maroon comes up a lot by the way. I have it, but it hasn't worked into a fav yet. If I need that hue I mix crimson (of whatever form) and Jadeite in my limited palette. Lovely for painting apples though, and some sorts of pears.

My Website
My Blog
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast
Virginia

Hails from United States

Yes, I responded to those polls I don't paint too much with Perylene Maroon by itself but as a mixer of smoky violets and subdued oranges and dull reds and rich browns, it is awesome.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

I missed the start of this thread, but just went through it all - gorgeous work! Your botanicals are really well done.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Jane, I can't tell if you sketch before painting. Do you? If so, please forgive my poor eyes. It's their fault, I'm just the messenger.

My Instagram -> kristy.polymath
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Yes thevaliantx, I sketch lightly in pencil to get the proportions. You wouldn't see it though however good your eyes 'cos I go back into the drawing with a very fine line of diluted colour, correcting if needed, and then erase the pencil. There will be some spots where the painted line will have crossed the pencil so it won't erase, but they get lost in the paint anyway when I paint in the colours.
Sometimes I do a more finished pencil drawing and just add a wash, or pen and ink with a wash, but I haven't posted any of those.

My Website
My Blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

(By comparison my works look like they were drawn by a five year old.)
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepaint
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

(By comparison my works look like they were drawn by a five year old.)

LOL - you must know some very sophisticated 5 year olds! Your layouts and economy of line are great!

My Website
My Blog
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Another beach scene, this time at Balmoral Beach in Sydney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0476.jpg (17.3 KB, 291 views)

My Website
My Blog