WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: David's "Sketching Utah" thread.

Okay, I took the plunge and started a blog about my sketching adventures and just posted my first post. I posted about my Ogden Union trip for starters. There is a little bit more info than I posted here so I'd like to ask you to check it out and give me a critique. I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of tweaking while I figure out how it all works.

http://utahsketcher.blogspot.com/

Thanks

David
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

I can imagine what the basement in that place must be like. Now that might be a fun place to sketch! Is it very far from where you live? The only buildings I have sketched lately are some of the ancient adobe churches around here, and my house. I've been fixated on having mountains around me to paint. You have stellar landscapes all around where you live too. I've driven through Utah 4 or 5 times stopping at various places.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochemio
I can imagine what the basement in that place must be like. Now that might be a fun place to sketch! Is it very far from where you live? The only buildings I have sketched lately are some of the ancient adobe churches around here, and my house. I've been fixated on having mountains around me to paint. You have stellar landscapes all around where you live too. I've driven through Utah 4 or 5 times stopping at various places.

Sugarhouse is about a 15-20 minute drive from my house depending on traffic. It's a very busy place though, tons of traffic noise, after three hours there I was worn out! I don't know how much more sketching I'll do there but when I do sketch there in the future I'll be keeping my session shorter! There is a nice park and nature area there too though, so I can get a respite in those spots when I need it. We are blessed with lots of great scenery here. You'll be seeing some mountain sketches in this thread soon enough I'm sure. We have a few canyons all within a 20-30 minute drive from my door.

I've been to New Mexico once, to buy a car. Seriously, the seller lived in Dallas and we met in Albuquerque, I flew in, paid for the car and he flew back to Dallas and the next day I drove the car home. So I spent most of a day there before driving home. I'd imagine the area I spent time in wasn't the best part of New Mexico and I wasn't really into art at the time but there must be something special about the place with all the pro artists that live there! I am seriously considering going to the IAPS convention there next year.

David

Last edited by Davkin : 03-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

I think you'll do fine with a blog David. I checked it out. It looks clean with the focus on the sketches and information you are providing.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Great beginning on your blog!!!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Funny that your one trip to New Mexico was to buy a car from a Texan as that is where I've lived for a very long time, Austin though. I live in the Chama River Valley, so I actually have water and the mountains and rocks, I'm in nirvana. I'll go subscribe to your new blog. Let me know if you actually do IAPS, it's close so I may well end up there anyway, at any rate it's only 80 miles for me to drive. Not much of a roadtrip in my parlance. O'Keeffe's winter home is 3 miles from where I live, so yep the big guns paint where I live and have for a very long time. I'm looking forward to seeing your landscapes, maybe I'll even get off my comfy chair and post some of mine too.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Back from the blog posted a comment! You go guy!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks Debby, I'll try not to clutter it up as I learn all the design features.

Margo, sounds like you do live in a wonderful area, I'll have to visit it some day, maybe even retire there.

David
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Your blog is off to a good start. Really liked the yellow cabose sketch there. Good luck with it.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 11:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

David - I am loving your sketches of the older buildings in your area of Utah. I find the same problem trying to sketch in some places...the traffic blocks the lower part of the structure, no matter what time of day or night you want to sketch. I really like the monochromatic ones you did at the workshop of the statues. Keep these coming!!! I'm going off to check your blog.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

David, you would enjoy all of Northern New Mexico I think, if you had the time to explore some of the remoter areas. It seems every side road I venture down brings a whole new vista, different types of rocks even wildlife. An artists or naturalists dream, umm and the food...delicious!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:56 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

good sketching

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks Jaquip.

Thanks Joan. I checked out your blog too and am now a follower. I just added an update to my blog about the Sugarhouse sketches and there's a little more/different info in the blog than I posted here.

Margo, I bet I would erhy much enjoy Northern New Mexico. I think I'd like Southwestern Colorado as well. I may be going to Telluride for a workshop in October.

Thanks Vivien.

David
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Today was the first outdoor car show of the year and was held in a small rural town about 30 minutes West of Salt Lake City called Grantsville. The weather wasn't exactly ideal. The biggest issue was the wind, gusting over 40mph but at least it wasn't cold so plenty of cars still showed up and the weather was at least bearable enough to do some sketching.

First up is this interesting old bus. The brand is White and it appears to be from the late 30's;

All of these sketches were done in my 5x7 Strathmore Bristol Smooth spiral bound sketchbook and this sketch was done with a .5 mechanical pencil with HB lead.

Of course I can't resist a classic styled hot rod roadster, this car was my favorite of the show and was a 28/29 Model A Ford on '32 rails with a hopped up flathead. It had some unusual wheels, early slotless Halibrand mags with knockoffs. I beleive those wheels are repros though since the originals are uber rare.

I did this one with a Pilot V5 extra fine pen, (over an initial graphite sketch) then I applied a wash with a waterbrush. The Strathmore Bristol is heavy enough to take a light wash.

After that I had had enough of the wind and retreated to me car to eat lunch. I can't resist exploring the back roads in rural areas, you're always bound to come across something interesting. I found this scene of a cow pen that had a remarkable amount of clutter and there was plenty of shoulder to park on so I couldn't resist stopping and sketching it. i went back to the graphite and stayed in the car;

I actually wanted to do this one in pen and watercolor but discovered I'd left my watercolor sketchbooks in my other bag. Good thing I keep a sketchbook in my car. I may come back to this spot some day with my oils or pastels, there was plenty of color to capture as well as all the fun shapes and textures.

David

Last edited by Davkin : 03-17-2012 at 07:25 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Glad you got somewhat decent weather to catch a few sketches. These are great.