WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Smile Round the Campfire ~ March

Hi everyone. Happy March! I'd better get a new fire going. Spring may be near, but it's still plenty cold around here! Coffee anyone? I don't know much about special roasts and brews, so it's plain old Folgers, my dad's favorite.

(From February's Campfire thread)

Hi Donna. Griff's sounds like it was a great place! Sounds a little like our local small-town ice cream place, once Tastee Freeze, now under a different name. Excellent ice cream, amazing burgers and other comfort foods, and of course, that homey, old-fashioned family restaurant style. I love going there!

Hi DJ. Always fun to see photos of you at an event! It looks so sunny and hot there. Sounds like a good event and I hope you make some sales!

Hi Deb. Thanks! Yes, it will be quite a feat, but I think it will be fun.

Have a great night everyone!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire ~ March

I had a terrible time!
The masking liquid I used melted into the paper in the heat! I could not rub it off. So the picture is... well it looks better in a scan and people were interested but I am not so thrilled.
West Highland white terriers tomorrow... then no more dogs unless they pay me!!!
dj*
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

I'd take a cup of coffee. Black would be fine. Thanks.

Having fun and painting every day on this trip. Four pieces done. One may be good enough to post when I get home and can use my tripod to get a good pic. Looks like there is going to be good weather until the middle of next week and then there may be some rain. Had to "suffer" through near 70 degree weather today. Actually, had to put on sunblock!

Painted in 2 different locations today (went back to a spot where I'd been a couple of days ago to finish the one I'd started there.) Also, painted with a gallery owner who may be interested in hanging something in the future. We'll see. (I can dream)

Have fun...keep painting!

BTW, I have a new user name.
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hey everybody! I cant believe its already March!!
It is almost time to plant seeds in the cold frames! I checked today, and the soil is thawed several inches deep, except for rigtn around the edges. I had some late carrots last fall that got left in there- they have been frozen all winter, and i pulled them out today and they are super sweet and crunchy!
Jenna, Griffs was classic- they would bring out the food and put it on a tray that fit over the window, and dad would pass the food back to us kids in the back seat. Big huge burgers with sesame seed buns, onion rings and an ice cold root beer. Yum...what a treat it was as a kid!

And, wow, you rolled a 4 wheeler? That mustve been scary. How did it happen?

Soooo, my neighbor is moving away and they have chickens, and no place to put them. Call me crazy- i am adopting 23 hens and two roosters. I guess i wont order any more new chicks- will see how these girls do. Supposedly the roosters are both very mild mannered- but if not, i know how to solve that problem!. Ps. The city boy who was afraid of our rooster ( the now infamous shovel and garbage can lid episode) is coming for a weekend visit- wo t he be surprised with two new roosters!

We took the dogs for a romp in the snow, and Gibbs found the same snow-covered den under a fallen tree- there is definitely something in there - but i didnt want to go shining any lights in there to see! Still deep snow all around so whatever it is is still hibernating. I am curious, though.... Gibbs is a big 90 pounds, and he could fit in the opening of the den...
my blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Deb and rich- we must have been posting at the same time.
Deb- that dog is great- so full of character. You do a really good job with those
Rich- have to admit i am jealous of your trip. Looking forward to seeing the photos... Enjoy this spring weather!
my blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Catherine1

Morning Everyone!
Happy March..

Jen.. Can't wait to see your scratch board piece.. I've always loved your work in the media. Awesome!

Dj.. That little guy is just preciously done! Love how you capture gesture and empathy so well. Hope the dog show goes well and you get lots of commissions!

Rick.. Looking forward to seeing your paintings in the forum. I love to go out plein air. So far these last few months have been so busy just meeting the artists down here and getting acclimated to the area I only have time to studio paint.

Deb.. I miss my gals.. Just doesn't seem right to not have chickens running about. My hot boxes won't be planted this year. Though I will be starting perennials in them later in the spring. Joe is putting in a stone terrace garden around the house here and is all most done with it. Topsoil is an issue, finding it that is. Everything here is sand. But I think I solved that.. As we were driving along an old route I spied a a farm with about 30 goats. Hoping to get some free manure to mix for November planting season. I did plant yellow squash just to see what it would do.. Armadillos got all but 3 of the seeds.

Not much going on here.. A hearty hello to everyone. Been reading but not much time to type and for awhile I could not type. Learned a lesson.. Do not pick up toads with bare hands here. Note to self: Use tip of shoe to move them out from under car tire. Who knew?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

March already and snow on the ground with more cold weather predicted. This winter has been strange here in KY. For any of you in the SW ... I will gladly trade my cold/wet/gray, bare trees for hot/sunny/sand and rocks!

Obviously I didn't get to any of the February challenges although I've got copies of a couple in my 'someday' file and I'm still working on the book illustrations. I'm beginning to think this is sounding an awfully lot like a regular job ... every time I send out another package of illustrations I get suggestions for more. Can't complain too much but I do have other projects I'd like to either finish or start.

DJ that is an absolutely adorable pup, really personable and you've managed to catch that 'terrier' temperament somehow. I do remember days at the dog shows, lots of fun and I may try a couple of local 'fun matches' again, if I can find some within reasonable driving distance, but only with a sketch pad, not a booth. As a 'test run' I may try showing up at the local dog rescue's monthly 'Adopt-a-Dog' afternoon at the mall, perhaps talk to them a bit about some of their fund raising efforts.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Jenna, it was really cool Funny, after my daddy passed away when I was 15 I never went back there

DJ, that is one cute puppy!

Rick, good luck with the hanging! (okay, that would sound really strange outside of an artist group! )

Deb, you got me seriously curious about what's in that den

Catherine, baaahahaha....I've been a victim of that many, many times Did you know that sometimes turtles will do the same thing?? I saw one on the side of the road and went to pick him up to put him back in the creek and the dang thing peed all over me! And I was on my way to work! This probably sounds dumb but, y'all got Armadillos way up there?

Sharon, just think of it as job security for awhile

I'm so glad it's the weekend. I think if last week had lasted ONE more day I wouldn't have made it! I'm a Receiver and basically....I get in pallets of product and have to break them down and "re-palletize" the stuff as I receive it. Let me just say that I think I've seen enough spray paint to last me for a long while. I have boxes...and boxes....and boxes of t-shirts to look forward to on Monday
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

OH! I almost forgot!! I went to the bookstore yesterday and picked up a copy of Southwest Art! Congrats again Jim, it looks so cool and what a neat thing to have your testimony in the article too!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Catherine- how come you couldnt type? Was that the insect bite thing? Send phoos of the new garden! My new herd of chickens is going to be real crowded for awhile? The gate to their run is frozen in about 2 inches of solid ice, so they will be crammed in the small coop until that thaws out.
Sharon - more illustrations? Hats a good deal, but i know what you mean about needing to get on to other stuff.
Donna,- my dad also passed away when i was 15- and you k ow, i dont think we went back to that drive in ever after that. How strange. Wish i cold ge a copy of SW art- but itmwould be a four hour round trip to find one....
my blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrunner
Wish i cold ge a copy of SW art- but itmwould be a four hour round trip to find one....

Anybody wanting a copy, I can pick one up and ship it out to y'all
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Catherine1

Donna.. We live in Florida for half the year now and in Ohio during the summer. Nope no armadillos in Ohio. Yes.. The toads up north do the scare me and I will pee deal.. Just when the ones in Florida have a go at cha its not as funny.. But gators do the 'mess with me and I'll pee on you,' too! I watched a mother with two kids get peed all over when they were trying to get a photo of them with a 3' baby alligator (mouth taped). Every time they cleaned up the kids and her then put the gator back on their laps, it would pee again. did it three time and not just a little bit of piddle.. Buckets of it lol.. Then the mom gave up let it pee and got the picture. It was hilarious.. who knew that gators have nervous bladders?

Deb.. We all thought it was a bug/spider bite, but it was not. I had picked up a toad to save its little hide.. and it slimed me. Turns out the slime is toxic and I had a reaction to it. I did wash right way after he did that. Like I said.. everything down here either jabs, bites, or poisons ya.. Now not only do we have to watch out for pygmy rattlers, cotton mouths ect.. the toads are on the list too. Even the air sometimes is poison when the red tide comes in. But for the most part we love it here! Warm and toasty and hope never to see another snow flake in person.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone!

Hi DJ. Love this little guy! He's so cute! I don't really see anything off about it. You did fine.

Hi Rick. You drink your coffee like I drink mine - black. Any and all of your art will be very welcome! It's not a competition here at WetCanvas. It's just a great place to share your work and get good feedback from other artists of all skill levels. And if you're at all nervous about someone giving you hard critisism, you can always ask people to give no critique. We will welcome your artwork whenever you feel ready to share it with us.

Hi Deb. Wow! Those are some tough carrots. Glad they survived and tasted great! Griffs sounds amazing! There's another small town place near here that does the tray thing. They have amazing fried chicken, burgers, and ice cream too. Now I want to go back...but it's just a summer place.

Yes, I rolled our 4-wheeler about 10 and a half years ago. I was 14, and my brothers and I all loved riding 4-wheeler. We needed two 4-wheelers for chores (we've always had a lot of young livestock) and between chores, it felt great to ride all over the place. We are pretty much surrounded by a woods that covers most of the hills around here (we live in a big valley). Around the time of my accident, we had had loggers come in and thin out the woods some to keep it healthy. They left in their wake a lot of trails and open areas which were excellent for 4-wheeler trails. There was one I especially liked which went through the woods along a steep hill so that on one side of the trail it was a hill and on the other, a steep drop. I was riding along this trail (not terribly fast even) and one of the front tires caught a small knob/root along the steep hill side. It positively jerked the handlebars from my hands and the tires turned sharply to the side, and the whole 4-wheeler rolled right over. I blacked out for just a moment, and I believe the 4-wheeler rolled over the top of me because when I came to, the 4-wheeler was on the opposite side of me. It was completely upside-down, still running. I wasn't unconscious for long because it was still rocking a little bit when I looked at it. In a panic, I quickly shut the 4-wheeler off and rolled it back onto its tires. I couldn't drive it home because the handlebars were pressed down against the gas tank - I later learned from my brothers that it was actually supposed to do that when it flipped so the handlebars were safe. The only real damage was that the throttle broke off. I paid to have it replaced and my parents were very gentle about it. You can imagine how afraid I was to tell my mom and dad that I rolled their 4-wheeler! By the time I walked back to the house, I was beside myself and so afraid and shaken up that I could barely say what happened. But they were very good about it. It was still pretty scary though. I've never driven the 4-wheeler quite so bravely since, but I still enjoy riding sometimes. I can still remember it like it happened yesterday...

Have fun with your new chickens!

Hi Catherine. Thanks for the encouragement! I should be working on it now...I'd better wrap up here soon and get to it! As for the toad thing...be honest now, did he pee on you? I've picked up dozens of toads in my life, and they will always pee - must be a defense thing. You just need to hold them gently around their ribs under their arms and the pee will not touch you.

Hi Sharon. Sorry you've got it so cold and gray! We're supposed to hit the mid- to upper 40s next week. Can't wait for that!

Hi Donna. I'm so sorry to hear you lost your dad at such a young age. That must have been so hard for you. Enjoy your weekend off before those t-shirts start to haunt your dreams!

Hi to everyone else. Jim, I've got to find an issue of that magazine! That's so cool. Congratulations again!

I'd better get to work on the scratchboard again. Catch you all later!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

DJ* your puppy is just melting my heart right now. Bummer about the masking fluid, I've had that happen and it's just a lost cause. Have fun with the Westies! The one and only one of those I've ever known belonged to someone I used to clean aquariums for in college. (That's "Marine Life Support Systems Service Provider" to the rest of you! ) This little dog Chivas was always inspecting my equipment for me, and I had to mind him as he'd happily eat all the frozen squid that was meant for the fish! So sweet though, always looked forward to giving him a good back scratch and ruffling his ears.

Rick, do post, I'd love to see what you've been up to. I can do coffee black, better with cream (yum!) but not sugar. Used to love that and for some reason sweet+coffee just makes me shudder nowadays. No idea why. Really, I'll take a cup of good tea over coffee any day and generally take that black as well!

Deb Can't wait to find out what's in your den. Hopefully you don't find out when it emerges all cranky and hungry! I miss gardening; living space at the moment just doesn't allow even for containers, although I once had an apartment balcony with an herb garden to die for. Even most of the flowers were edible at that place! Fresh lemon balm is like a gift from above, ditto the mint and rosemary. My chamomile kept bolting though

Sharon, that's funny, I wish we had more cold, gray, and wet here! Glad you're getting some mileage out of all these illustrations, although I do get the downside of needing to always do it. I have a couple of web stores (nothing to do with art) plus a day job, and when the web stores start to take over my free time, we remind each other, "This is a good problem to have!"

Donna
(and Deb): I can't imagine losing a father so early. Donna I used to have to unload the trucks of all your re-palletized stuff. Being one of the kids on the floor I never knew what was coming in, so it was kind of fun to open the boxes. We'd get special buys and such that were ordered at the home office and just sent our way - surprise!

Catherine, have you ever seen this happening during a red tide? It's really unspeakably beautiful. Was admiring moonlight on the waves one night at the beach with friends, and we suddenly realized... there was no moon! We promptly went swimming in this and I've never seen anything like it. Sweeping my hands through the water looked like a comet, or fairy dust.

Y'all have so many bugs (and other dangerous varmints) in the south/east, although we can find rattlesnakes anywhere here. My former-landscaper boyfriend used to find them under rocks even close to the beach. Will make a note to self, not to be picking up any alligators, or toads, if I see them Although, I couldn't help thinking about this phenomenon when I read your story. Be careful around those things! (No, I've never tried it.)

Jenna what a scary experience. You have wise and wonderful parents, obviously they could see you didn't need any scolding about that situation! Things just happen sometimes. I did a similar mini-blackout when I got badly rear-ended some years ago. My doctor said it's a reaction to the event, basically your brain gets so much input at once it just shuts down for a sec. Scary stuff, glad you're OK.

Now, tomorrow I'll have to make the same breakfast as today, and invite you all over! Why? Well, I love to cook for one, but I mastered the stainless steel pan this morning! [laughs, jumps, clicks heels] Perfectly roasted potatoes, turkey bacon, and eggs fried to perfection, all in one not-non-stick pan, and the food was sliding around like it was on buttered glass! We decided to get rid of the teflon cookware and have ruined a lot of food lately learning how to cook the old-fashioned way. Finally sat myself down with the internet last night and found out how it's done. It's actually not difficult, but I had no clue. In other news, the new mini-oven helped me make some yummy sour cream muffins from a Betty Crocker book that's older than I am. Not that I'm excited about my kitchen or anything... no, I'm only half-way through today's pot of tea, why do you ask?

Now, gotta save up for a wheat grinder, so I can start baking with *fresh* flour finally. Apparently there's nothing like bread from flour that was still kernels an hour before baking it. Have never tried that, has anybody else had a chance to?

Last edited by Cyntada : 03-02-2013 at 05:20 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Catherine- eeeeuuuu...toad slime... Must be nasty stuff.
Jenna- i can only imagine- I rolled our truck three times going 70mph- i shouldnt be here- it does leave an imprint on your psyche for sure. Glad it wasnt worse for you!
Donna, thats awfully nice- i would actualy love to accept your offer. Pm me and we can work out payment,metx. Although, JIM56, ARE YOU OUT THERE.? Can we get autographed copies?
cK- yeah, i really wonder about that den- nothing has woke up yet- still all untracked deep snow around it, except for the doggy tracks....
Wow, that phosperescent tide is amazing! Incredible!
Not gonna be stroking any poisonous toads any time soon....
We did the same thing- i bought an old stainless Revere cookware set- almost as old as me( the older ones are much better than e newer ones) and a bi ol cast iron skillet. Thats all we use... But please, do tell of the secrets of stainless cooking! I did find out that the best oil to season a cast iron pan is ( drum roll) FLAX OIL! Makes sense, linseed oil is used for painting mediums because it is a drying oil, and will harden... Flax oil is edible linseed pil. Works beautifully.
I grind all my own flour and make our bread. Even better, and more nutrionally beneficial,,is to soak/ sprout the grains- just until they start to sprout, and then dry them, and then grind them. The drying part is really the only hassle. But sometimes i dont dry them and just throw itnall in the blender for a chcunky dough...
my blog