WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum > WIPs (Works in Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter "Avalokitasvara Bodhisattva"

Ok, So I was going to post this in the Open Critique Forum, but I can not get anything to work from there, so I'll put it in here as it IS a work in progress (actually a commission already sold, yeeay!) but it has to take a back seat to what I am working on now as that piece is time sensitive. But I do love getting everyone's feed back on here before really getting started with the painting just to pick out anything I may have missed, so I'm posting it in here a little early.
To be painted in oils on panel.
22" x 28"

This image was rejected by my initial patron on the grounds that she believed the dragon may lead some to believe that a nod to "chasing the dragon" was being given, a reference to heroin use she did not want associated with her store, a medical marijuana dispensary. Understandable, but it was quickly snatched up by another collector, a good friend of mine. So, thank God, no time wasted.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Planet Earth

Re: "Avalokitasvara Bodhisattva"

I like the painting so far, but what happen with her right arm? It looks weird. I think it's a bit difficult to most of human to get to that arm position, you should check it. And maybe you can make the dragon's left arm a bit bigger, his triceps looks too small.
Nice work. I like it. ^^
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Thanks Armada Setyadi, I think you may be right about the dragon's arm being a little small, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean about her right arm being off. But anyway thanks.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 PM

So Ive started filling in some color with my new piece... I think I will leave a little more texture on this one just to see what kinds of nice things come up.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
canada

Hails from Canada

Beautiful work! Congratulations!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Thank you Levanty!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I am really beginning to enjoy your "smoke" themed pictures. I thought your red to acid green transition was great on your first one-- what I am missing here, is the background because it made the piece multi-dimensional. This one is rather "flat," and I would like to see some more activity in the sky beyond the figures. Otherwise, it is really wonderful.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Hey thanks U.H.N., it's nice to hear that one's work is enjoyed. I'm still trying to figure out what colors I want where, so it's going to be a bit of a process. Then I'll go back and do some glazing in different areas. But I'm going to keep what you said about the sky and background in mind. Cheers!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 PM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Inc.
This image was rejected by my initial patron on the grounds that she believed the dragon may lead some to believe that a nod to "chasing the dragon" was being given, a reference to heroin use she did not want associated with her store, a medical marijuana dispensary. Understandable, but it was quickly snatched up by another collector, a good friend of mine. So, thank God, no time wasted.

This, to me, adds a story, which makes the painting even more fascinating. I think the hand is fine. I have two indian goddess statues, and they have their hands like this. Not sure if it is a yoga pose or dance pose or what, but it is very graceful.

I have issue with her breasts. If she is a yong lady, she would have young, perky, small breasts, as you have here, but without the hard shadow line underneath. If she is older, then more full and then your shadow line would work. As it is now, it looks more like young woman with old woman long saggy small breasts.

What are you painting in, gouache? Very lovely style, looking forward to seeing more.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Quebec

Hails from Canada

Wow, you really do something unique... i just love your style!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM

Thanks Bettie! I know I haven't posted in a while, been having a lot of problems with the site... Anyway here's a little update