WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 AM
NE IL

Hails from United States
Rainstorm on the Mesas

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rainstorm on the Mesas
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 22.5 x 15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A master study of "Rainstorm on the Mesas" by Tom Perkinson. The original is watercolour with some pastel and coloured pencil

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
It's not exactly like the original because I lack the skills. And Mr. Perkinson did the original in watercolour, mostly. I'm very new to using pastels, so any critiques and/or advice appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States
Re: Rainstorm on the Mesas

The one bad thing about copying a photo ... even if it is of a painting is that they read anything dark as black. While the original watercolor may have indeed been black for the bushes I noticed there is light coming through them and would venture to guess they have other hues of color in them. Anyway... your interpretation is not so bad as you think. I would lighten the values of the background mountains so they recede more. Love the clean bright colors you've used.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 PM
NE IL

Hails from United States

Thank you Crazywoman. I was thinking about graying out the far away mesas, but I wasn't sure, so thanks for mentioning that. The trees photographed darker than they actually are...they're forest green with lighter spots in them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2012, 07:38 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

I agree with Christine but will salute the fact that you have a full range of light/dark values in your work as it's such a common fault to paint everything in midtones. Two areas of weakness as I see it are:
All of your forms are softly rendered as if the whole painting is out of focus. You need to use the edges of the sticks to create some more distinct forms, especially in the foreground. Do a search on Crazywoman's work in the forum and you'll get an idea of this. The second issue is that you've chosen all high intensity hues so that your painting screams while whispering is more effective. If you check museums or art books with masterworks, you'll be struck by how often muted colors are used. I apend a photoshop to show how your painted would appear with less chroma intensity.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I agree with tgsloth on the 'focus-thing'. But I do like the bold colours. Maybe not very realistic, but that doesn't matter. Furthermore I like the lines in it: ground - mountains - layers in the air.
Nice work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Cork, Ireland

Hails from Spain

Agree with the above in that it would be nice to have a bit of sharper detail in the foreground. I do like your intense, saturated colors and wouldn't mute them down!I really like the color choice for the sky!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM
NE IL

Hails from United States

Oh, Antonio, you mentioned my personal bug-a-boo. Foregrounds. I never know what in the heck to do with them, or HOW to do them, in watercolor on anything else. So I kept the details fuzzy. Yes, I could show every blade of grass...but how does one suggest that without doing it? It's a very real issue for me.

Tg, I like your lower brightness, ..I have made the more distant mesas a little grey-er, so they do recede quite nicely. Thank you!

The original work is quite bold in the choice of colours....my computer won't let me include it, but you can find it on line if you google Tom Perkinson, Rainstorm on the Mesas. Thanks for your thoughts, Coen. It really is a "bright" painting, LOL!

Thanks for all your help, it really DOES help!!

Last edited by ahughes798 : 06-15-2012 at 09:56 PM.