Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Greetings

What do you think is better (and why) for transparent primary red – quinacridone red (PV 19) or quinacridone magenta (PR 122)?

Patrick1

Despite what some dogmatic people might say, there is no one single ‘correct’ choice.

PR122 is the ‘truer’ primary in terms of hue, but a lot of artists prefer Quin. Red because it mixes more chromatic reds and oranges. So it depends on whether you want to mix brighter oranges & reds, or purples & blues. The other reds you have (if any) will also determine which is the best choice. If you’ll be mixing it with a complementary green to mix blacks, that too will affect your choice.

kinasi

There are multiple versions of PV19 for starters. Some are red, some pink, some violet. I prefer PR122 because there aren’t a bazillion different versions of it, but it’s pink, not red, it’s basically magenta giving you very clean violets if you add a blue to it.

I think you must be looking at Winsor & Newton, judging by the names, both their PR122 and PV19 reds and roses are amazing, so pick what suits you best.

Like Patrick said, it depends what you want. Do you want clean violets or clean oranges? What is it you want, I am assuming this is for those extremely limited CMY palettes. I’m generalizing a bit, but the main function in most standard palettes of the quinacridones is creating a base for pinks and violets, because most people use “real” reds to create oranges or have orange in a tube.

Mythrill

There are multiple versions of PV19 for starters. Some are red, some pink, some violet. I prefer PR122 because there aren’t a bazillion different versions of it, but it’s pink, not red, it’s basically magenta giving you very clean violets if you add a blue to it.

I think you must be looking at Winsor & Newton, judging by the names, both their PR122 and PV19 reds and roses are amazing, so pick what suits you best.

Like Patrick said, it depends what you want. Do you want clean violets or clean oranges? What is it you want, I am assuming this is for those extremely limited CMY palettes. I’m generalizing a bit, but the main function in most standard palettes of the quinacridones is creating a base for pinks and violets, because most people use “real” reds to create oranges or have orange in a tube.

You know, I just don’t see a reason to limit yourself that much. Why can’t you just have split magentas – one for the warm reds, and another for purples and violets?

kinasi

You know, I just don’t see a reason to limit yourself that much. Why can’t you just have split magentas – one for the warm reds, and another for purples and violets?

You can of course. I’m not a fan of CMY+white palettes, I think it’s making things hard on yourself for no reason, but I’m also not into really large palettes. A /*real*/ red (pyrrole or naphthol or something) and a magenta (PR122 or PV19 rose) to get my violets, is all I really need.

llawrence

For a CMY primaries palette, it would have to be quinacridone magenta PR122.

Bodhi Peace

Well, confusing … because you said “primary red” instead of

… “primary magenta”

kinasi

Well, confusing … because you said “primary red” instead of

… “primary magenta”

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It’s Thursday, today’s primaries are ocean turquoise, mikado yellow and tooty fruity blue deep.[/FONT]

Anonymous

warm reds, and another for purples and violets

Another fine example of why artists always primarily think in terms of red as a pure primary color, but think of magenta as a “leaner”, that is, either more red or more purple.

Greetings

What do you think is better (and why) for transparent primary red – quinacridone red (PV 19) or quinacridone magenta (PR 122)?

PR122 WN is a beautiful color, but be BOLD…I agree with the artist who suggested having a warm and cool red. Neither will go to waste.

Angel :angel:
                                    Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                                    http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

WFMartin

As I may have mentioned on several other threads, I use PV19, as my “Magenta”. Magenta is a primary color, rather than “Red”. Red is a secondary, mixed from the primary colors, Yellow, and Magenta.

While there may be other colors that plot closer to the Magenta “spoke” on the color wheel, in terms of hue, they do so at a reduced chroma (puriry). I have performed studies with color instruments on several colors that I use.

So, my preference for PV19 is a trade-off. I have selected a color that is purer in its plot (it plots nearer to the outer ring of the color wheel), rather than opt for a color that plots closer to the Magenta spoke on the wheel, but at the expense of purity.

A true, primary color reflects 2/3 of the Red, Green, Blue spectrum, while absorbing the remaining third. In the case of Magenta, it reflects both Red and Blue, while absorbing the Green of the White Light (RGB) spectrum.

It will mix with its two, adjacent primary colors, to create secondary colors on either side of it. Magenta will mix with Yellow (on one side) to create the secondary color, Red. It will also mix with Cyan (on the other side) to create the secondary color, Blue (or Violet, in art terms). Primary colors (the true, scientific primary colors) are truly unique in their appearance, and their behavior. No other colors will do what they do.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Anonymous

Greetings

As Bill says, and Winsor Newton agrees, it is PV19, or their Permanent Rose whether in watercolor, acrylic, or oils.
                                            why? they know more than I do.

WFMartin

As Bill says, and Winsor Newton agrees, it is PV19, or their Permanent Rose whether in watercolor, acrylic, or oils.
                                                why? they know more than I do.

Here’s the full story behind my use of PV19 as the primary color, Magenta.

Years ago, someone issued a “challenge” on Wet Canvas, that asked us “color theorists” who stressed that Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow are the true, primary color of pigment, to rather put our money where our mouth was, and to create a painting, using only those 3 colors, and White.

The person issuing the challenge also consulted with Winsor & Newton at that time, and got W & N’s recommendation for their truest versions of Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow that they had in their oil paint line.

The 3 paints recommended by W & N were as follows:

For Cyan: W & N “Winsor Blue– Red Shade 706” (PB15)

For Magenta: “W & N Permanent Rose 502” (PV19)

For Yellow: “W & N Transparent Yellow 653” (PY128)

I decided to “play the game” all the way, and I used them for the challenge. I created a very nice, small painting that I titled, “First Breath of Spring”, as I recall, using only those 3 paints, and White.

These are all magnificent, transparent colors, that come as close to anything I’ve encountered as being the true, scientific primary colors.

Transparency in a paint provides for the creation of wonderful, deep “darks”, and when White is mixed with each of them, they burst into into high-chroma colors.

Since the day of that “challenge”, here on Wet Canvas, I’ve been considering these colors to be my “primary colors”, and I’ve been using them as such. Oh, I believe that I have gone to Grumbacher’s Thalo Blue (PB15), and Grumbacher’s Thalo Red Rose (PV19), but they are the same colors, and the same pigment ID’s. My change in selection has to do with availability, and price, rather than color.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Bastet469

Here’s the full story behind my use of PV19 as the primary color, Magenta.

Years ago, someone issued a “challenge” on Wet Canvas, that asked us “color theorists” who stressed that Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow are the true, primary color of pigment, to rather put our money where our mouth was, and to create a painting, using only those 3 colors, and White.

Hey,
                                                    I’d love to see the paintings from the challenge. Are they posted on the forum somewhere?

-wendy

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."
                                                    -Jean-Michel Basquiat [FONT=Palatino Linotype]
                                                    Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump

savras

Hey,
                                                        I’d love to see the paintings from the challenge. Are they posted on the forum somewhere?

-wendy

Here is the thread:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561821

And here is Bill’s painting:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Primary red’ is closed to new replies.