WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Project Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 08:19 AM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: Reverspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhume
I'm definitely getting addicted so I will have to work out a way to make some of my own - not easy because I have no space to do that sort of work.

I know the feeling... I live in a kind of small space, and I live on the water, so I have no basement of any kind. I have a townhouse, and no space for a workshop, so when I have a project like this to work on, I have to move my car out from the parking space under my house and set up shop there. When I Am done, all the tools, including the big power tools, get packed back up in the outside closet, which is (inconvineintly enough) on my 2nd floor balcony... Oh well, at least it isn't on the 3rd floor

But, these are fun, and VERY addictive... If you want to do one that will really get you hooked, try one of the rotating doors- The animation can hardly do this justice, the illusion is UNREAL. It looks just like the doors are swinging, revealing what is behind them...

They require a BIT of work from a construction standpoint, BUT they are well worth it, if anyone wants details on how to build the support, I can provide them...

-Andrew
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Helena, MT

Hails from United States

I made an attempt to do a GIF of my WIP but it wouldn't load. I tried resizing it and it said it downloaded but it didn't work so I ended up deleting it. So unfortunately mine will have to be static rather than animated.

I have a couple ideas to draw the eye down the "hall" but haven't as yet come up with the exact specifics. Got to think about it a little more.
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 PM
New Brunswick, NJ, USA (originally from Cambridge, England)

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printmakerguy
I know the feeling... I live in a kind of small space, and I live on the water, so I have no basement of any kind. I have a townhouse, and no space for a workshop, so when I have a project like this to work on, I have to move my car out from the parking space under my house and set up shop there. When I Am done, all the tools, including the big power tools, get packed back up in the outside closet, which is (inconvineintly enough) on my 2nd floor balcony... Oh well, at least it isn't on the 3rd floor

But, these are fun, and VERY addictive... If you want to do one that will really get you hooked, try one of the rotating doors- The animation can hardly do this justice, the illusion is UNREAL. It looks just like the doors are swinging, revealing what is behind them...

They require a BIT of work from a construction standpoint, BUT they are well worth it, if anyone wants details on how to build the support, I can provide them...

-Andrew

I was thinking of buying somewhere next year but now I've already started to look around so at the very least I'd be in the same situation as you. I would love details on how to construct any of these things. I might even have a go at designing some of my own one day.

Well, I did actually finish painting before I came away but unfortunately I didn't have time to take the photos and post them before I left. They'll be there by the weekend.
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: Ginger Lee

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=45515

This is looking REALLY COOL Ginger ! Your itty- bitty paintings rock but I really have the feeling of the walls coming towards me. Can't wait to see it finished. Isn't this stuff amazing ? ( I'll say it again, great project idea Andrew. )

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 11:40 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Comment on final entry by: Ginger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisilk
Isn't this stuff amazing ? ( I'll say it again, great project idea Andrew. )

Thanks. I really enjoy this, it forces you to really think about perspective, and how the eye and mind work both with and against each other when we view art. I have to be careful, though- My house is being overrun by moving pictures...

I am exploring all sorts of optical art, in addition to these... Have found lots of interesting things. I am in the early stages of 'cooking up' yet another project- Dealing with percieved motion and the periphrial drift illusion- Some strange stuff. I have paintings that seem to move and flow, although in real life, they are not... They are flat, still paintings. It is fun stuff.

-Andrew
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Helena, MT

Hails from United States
Re: Comment on final entry by: Ginger Lee

Quote:

I am exploring all sorts of optical art, in addition to these... Have found lots of interesting things. I am in the early stages of 'cooking up' yet another project- Dealing with percieved motion and the periphrial drift illusion- Some strange stuff. I have paintings that seem to move and flow, although in real life, they are not... They are flat, still paintings. It is fun stuff.

-Andrew
Oh sounds interesting I will be looking for them!!!
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: neilhume

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=45502

Looking good!!

I like the arch better- Glad you made that change. Gives it character!

Looks like this one will work especially well- The bricks really draw the viewer back into it all.

Aren't rows and rows of bricks fun to paint? Especially in perspective like that... Aggrivating, to say the least....
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
New Brunswick, NJ, USA (originally from Cambridge, England)

Hails from England
Re: Comment on final entry by: neilhume

Quote:

Looking good!!

I like the arch better- Glad you made that change. Gives it character!

Looks like this one will work especially well- The bricks really draw the viewer back into it all.

Aren't rows and rows of bricks fun to paint? Especially in perspective like that... Aggrivating, to say the least....

Thanks - I wouldn't say it was aggravating; I found it quite therapeutic really, but maybe that says more about my week at work than anything else.
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Helena, MT

Hails from United States

Neil, I can't wait to see the finished product here. I agree the arch works better and it all draws you to the center so well.
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2005, 06:45 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Well, I am off to my ship tomorrow, so I wont be able to check on things quite as often as before... BUT, I will still check in from time to time!!

I will be on board for about a month, and then I will be back ashore for another month... I hope everyone keeps chugging away in my absence, and has fun with the project!!

I am working on a few other ideas for projects dealing with illusion in art, as I mentioned previously. There are a few ideas that I am tossing around, including 3-d effects (Yes, using glasses... I know, kind of corny, but hey, its FUN!) and percieved motion illusions, perephrial drift, all sorts of fun stuff... I'll post more details when I know them!

-Andrew
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2005, 07:07 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: Ginger Lee

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=45515

Its looking great Ginger! I can't wait to see the finish. Lori

My Blog
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Looking good, it pulls you in. Looking forward to seeing the end. Lori

My Blog
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2005, 07:27 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Have a great trip Andrew, looking forward to hearing about your percieved motion illusions and perephrial drift. I looked into it about a year ago but I couldn't get it to work in a painting. Lori

My Blog
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2005, 01:15 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorijo
looking forward to hearing about your percieved motion illusions and perephrial drift. I looked into it about a year ago but I couldn't get it to work in a painting. Lori

IT can be a challenge, as for some to work, everything has to be PERFECT. The majority of them are done with computers, so to copy one you have to be careful... I did a couple test pieces, that I posted Here and Here, both were acrylic on panel.

I have been working on refining the images a bit more, and incorporating it into a piece with more to it than a simple illusion, working bits of surrealism into it, etc. Some of the results are interesting to say the least.

At times, my studio is more of a mad scientists workshop than a studio... It is a fun place to come and play!!

-Andrew
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Hi everyone - Wow - those blocks are looking great - Ginger and Neil.
Carol, I guess I already said I love yours. Mine was started as a bowling alley lane but I painted over it last night with a brand new idea I got (hope it works). I wanted something pretty like Carol's. So it will be scenic. My time is really limited right now , but I don't think it will take too long to paint so hopefully by next weekend I'll have it up.
Barbara