WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Project Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2005, 08:43 PM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: Reverspective

Well- I am going to be off my ship in just under a week, and back on DRY LAND

That means that blocks are going to be made SOON. That also means that I need your address! Please PM me your mailing info in the next week or so, and as soon as the blocks are ready, I will get them out... I am going to try to have them all out within about 2 weeks, barring any problems in the workshop!

Also, If for some reason you are unable to complete the project due to something coming up, PLEASE let me know, as there are a couple of alternates.

I got another Reverse Perspective painting finished, which I will photograph once I am back ashore... I have posted new material in the Exhibit area as well. Check it out!

-Andrew
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Post Re: Project Discussion: Reverspective

Well, I will be coughing up sawdust for the next couple of weeks, but the blocks are all cut, and the glue is drying! I have a bit more sanding to do on them, one more 'part' to glue on, and then they will be ready to send out. For those who are interested- this is the approx. size that they ended up, I modified them to make them easier to build in a 'production' environment- Warning- BAD text- based graphics to follow

2" On Face
.......--
.../.....\ 4" Deep
../____\
... 6" On Base

Those are approximate dimensions, they are actually a BIT smaller because of the width of the saw blade, I was trying to squeeze as many as possible out of the material.

The final blocks ended up being made from MDF (medium density fiberboard)- It was inexpensive and seems to work pretty well...

I have some addresses,but need the rest! If you have not done so, PLEASE PM me with your mailing info, so I can get the blocks out next week!

Once you get your block, you will have to do a little finish work on your own, some sanding, perhaps some filling, and priming... Nothing too hard. Then- Paint time!

-Andrew

Last edited by Printmakerguy : 02-14-2005 at 06:13 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2005, 06:10 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: neilhume

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44823

Looks Good!! This should work well...
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2005, 07:46 PM
New Brunswick, NJ, USA (originally from Cambridge, England)

Hails from England

Thanks Andrew, I hope it does work well, I'm still not sure which one to do. I don't want to end up feeling like I wasted a block by realising part way through that I should have picked something else.

I love the final images you have posted (by the way, how do you do that animation thing?). Having seen the effectiveness of the bold colours in it I'm wondering if it's actually more effective to use bolder colours?
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2005, 08:16 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: Printmakerguy

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44853

I love this one! Very cool. I just read somewhere about using a polariser filter to get rid of the glare in paintings. Lori

My Blog
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Helena, MT

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printmakerguy
Once you get your block, you will have to do a little finish work on your own, some sanding, perhaps some filling, and priming... Nothing too hard. Then- Paint time!

-Andrew
Hey a little finish work is nothing compared to what you've had to put in these. Thank you Andrew for all your hard work. Looking forward to getting started on that project.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2005, 10:08 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhume
Thanks Andrew, I hope it does work well, I'm still not sure which one to do. I don't want to end up feeling like I wasted a block by realising part way through that I should have picked something else.

It will probably be a tough choice, but don't worry TOO much- You can always paint it over if you don't like the results! I have done that a number of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhume
I love the final images you have posted (by the way, how do you do that animation thing?). Having seen the effectiveness of the bold colours in it I'm wondering if it's actually more effective to use bolder colours?

Thanks. I am going to try to get some better images up there soon, Once I get some of my 10 zillion projects out of the way (I have 2 paintings not yet done, about a dozen linocuts to print, and carpeting to install... Grrr).

As for the animations, They are just animated GIF's. I do them in Photoshop, but most image editing software will let you do them, or you can download software to make them, too (do a google search). They are LOW quality, because WetCanvas doesn't allow attachments over 100k. I would like to see some quality MPEG or Quicktime movies done, I am working on that...

-Andrew
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 11:28 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I have a batch of blocks that should go out today, so keep an eye on the mail box... If you haven't sent me your address yet (you got a PM today if it was missing) please do so, so I can get the last couple out on my NEXT trip to the post office.

When you get the block, you will have to do a few things to it to ready it for painting. First of all, I TRIED to be as careful as possible when I cut everything, BUT they aren't perfect, there are some small gaps here and there at the joints, that need to be filled. You can use any good wood filler for this- I use Durhams water putty myself. Once you fill the small gaps, sand it all smooth, and prime it.

I usually seal the block with a spray primer, generally sandable flat white. Then, I sand it smooth. It is a good idea to prime the inside as well as the outside, to control moisture absorbtion problems down the line.

Once the primer is dry and sanded smooth, I sometimes do a couple of coats of gesso over the top of that. This is optional, but if you want a really smooth painting surface, it helps. Sand this down, and you are done!

I am looking forward to seeing what happens here! Try to remember to take WIP photos for the studio, and post them! I hope everyone has as much fun with this as I do!

-Andrew

BTW- I am thinking about how to best display the final images- and came up with a POSSIBLE solution- When we have all completed our blocks, I was thinking that we could SCAN them (a seperate scan for each side of the block), then post each panel, that way each of us can print them out, assemble them into 3-d blocks, and experience the whole effect... I will give it a shot with one of mine, so you can see what I am talking about...

-Andrew
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 11:56 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I scanned all 5 sides of one of my blocks, and posted them in the Gallery. If you want to 'experience' it first hand, print them out, glue it on cardstock, put it together, and enjoy!

-Andrew
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:18 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Hi Andrew,
I have my wood putty and sand paper ready! Can't wait to start my painting!
Barbara
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2005, 04:20 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Hi Andrew, I got my block already, thanks loads! Waiting for my wood putty to dry now. Lori

My Blog
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
New Brunswick, NJ, USA (originally from Cambridge, England)

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorijo
Hi Andrew, I got my block already, thanks loads! Waiting for my wood putty to dry now. Lori

Maybe that's what the postal service failed to deliver to me today - now I'll probably have to wait until next week to get it, unless they try to deliver again tomorrow. It's strange though as most packages end up in the apartment building main office. It's even more annoying because my fiancee was working from home today so if they'd bothered knocking on the door..... I suppose that's the level of service you get if you live in an apartment.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2005, 09:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Honor, MI

Hails from United States

my block came today! Thanks so much Andrew....going to do my prep work now

Lauren

www.LaurenEverettFinn.com my blog
facebook
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2005, 11:55 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Glad to hear that the blocks are arriving safely... I have a few yet to send (people who were later getting the address to me), but most should arrive within a few days. Some went parcel post, others priority, oddly enough on some of them it was about the same cost or a few cents more for priority, depending on zip code...

I am working on another as we speak, on a larger (about 12") block... Bigger has it's advantages, for sure. I also posted the latest one, a slightly different format, in the gallery. This is a different support altogether, but the concept is the same. My neighbor stopped by to say HI today, and she had to sit down after seeing this... In person, the effect is BEYOND bizzare...

-Andrew
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2005, 12:03 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Another side note-

A number of people have asked how they can compensate me for time/materials/postage. As I mentioned in the project description, I don't require any compensation, but if you want to, there are 2 ways-

1) You can tell by the label about what it cost to send out, usually about $4-$5 or so. There is about $1 in packing materials (box), and a couple of bucks in materials for the block. If you feel a desire to do so, You can PayPal a couple dollars to me, OR-

2) Prefered method, send me some artwork! I am not expecting you to send me a huge masterpeice- And I realize as a printmaker I am spoiled in that I have multiple orriginals to send out as gifts, BUT I do collect art, and enjoy all sorts of it! Artist Trading cards are great, or whatever you have lying around...

Again, I don't expect anything from anyone- If you paint your block and post it, You have filled your end of the bargain- so don't feel that you have to do anything.

Have fun with the blocks!

Andrew