WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Project Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: neilhume

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44391

This concept looks like it will work quite well!!

One tip I will offer is for the floor- It looks like you have boards running the width of the block. This is fine, and will work- BUT I have found that the more lines you have running the length of the block, towards the vanishing point, the stronger the illusion...

-Andrew
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 PM
New Brunswick, NJ, USA (originally from Cambridge, England)

Hails from England
Re: Project Discussion: Reverspective

Thanks Andrew, if I go with that design I will put in boards the other way round as I'm certain you're correct. When I did the painting I wasn't sure what would work best and I basically decided on that way round to mirror what was happening up top. I could probably do something different on the top part also to achieve the same effect.

I'm working on other ideas now but I'm away from home so won't be able to post anything until the weekend. I'm thinking about including buildings but I've never really painted a building before (at least, not at all well), so I'm not sure where that will end up.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 08:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Honor, MI

Hails from United States

Shoot! You are full up!

I'll be watching with interest!

What a generous guy... and an interesting idea!

Lauren

www.LaurenEverettFinn.com my blog
facebook
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 08:48 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Lesson III- Basics of design-

I don't pretend to be an expert at all on this at all, but thought that I would share the information that I have put together while I researched this concept over the past few months. Hopefully, it will provide you with some information to help you decide what you want to put on the block, and how exactly to go about doing it.

The sky is pretty much the limit when it comes to what you decide to put on your block. You could do an interior scene, a landscape, cityscape- or even something totally abstract. Really, it doesn't matter WHAT you put on the block, but to get maximum effect, there are a few things that you should remember.

I find it easiest to sketch the blocks head-on. It is easier for me to visualize them in this way, and translate this into the 3 dimensions of the actual block. I draw a simple box, with another box centered in it (see sketch A), and then fill it in from there. See some of my examples in the STUDIO.

SKETCH A

To make layout easy, I put lines on the sketch (and later the block as well) that go from the edge to the vanishing point (see sketch B). The easiest way that I have found to lay these out is to find two lines on the block, one of which is 2" and the other 4" (the actual dimensions don't matter- just that they are proportional to one another). Then, I put marks every 1/4" on the short line, and every 1/2" on the longer line (the longer line is twice the length of the short one, the marks are spaced twice as far apart). Then, I connect the lines, through the vanishing point in the middle to the edge of the block. I now have guidelines for my drawing!

SKETCH B

Now for a few basics that will help you come up with an image that works well with the illusion. Visualize the block. The vanishing point, which we want to appear to the viewer as the FARTHEST point from them, is in actuality the CLOSEST point. The mind ''automatically" switches this around when we see it, because that is how it "should" be, and we will provide a little bit of help, or trickery rather, to aid in this.

First, we are going to force an illusion of depth by varying the size of objects, making them smaller as we get closer to the vanishing point. Doors get smaller, people shrink, and so on. As we move back to the vanishing point, everything should get proportionally smaller, which is where the guidelines help a lot. Take a look at my quick sketch of the doors, (Sketch C). They get smaller as they go, but this is an illusion of depth- We assume that they are actually the same size, but that they are getting farther from us.
SKETCH C

To further assist this illusion, we are going to use more trickery- We are going to vary the color and/or tone to create further depth illusion. By painting what appears to be farther away DARKER, we force the mind to place it farther back yet again. Refer to sketch C again, I have tried to achieve this on the door side. Notice how it becomes darker as we move to the 'back' of the room.

Another way to do this, which comes in to play in a landscape or cityscape more so than in a room, is blurring details that are supposed to be distant. Paint foreground items sharp and defined, and items that are in the background somewhat looser and less defined, and with less detail, just as you would on a flat canvas to simulate depth. This can be VERY effective.

On the subject of the design itself, as I mentioned previously, you can use pretty much anything that you want, but to get maximum effect, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you want to do as much as possible to draw the eye to the vanishing point. I find that the most effective ways to do this are to make the vanishing point the focal point of the painting, and also using as many lines as possible leading the eye from the edges of the painting to the vanishing point.

For a focal point, you don't need to go wild, just put something of interest in the far end of the painting to draw the viewer in. In a room, this could be a door or a window rather than a blank wall, in a landscape a mountain, tree- pretty much anything. Just put SOMETHING interesting there, and the viewer will naturally focus on it, which is exactly what you need to get the maximum out of the illusion.

Lines leading to the center are the most effective way to get maximum effect that I have found yet. I find the more lines you have, the greater the 'bending' effect when the painting is viewed. Lines running the LENGHTH of the painting, towards the vanishing point, are far more effective than those running the width of the painting, parallel to the vanishing point (See sketch D). A combination of both lines can also be very effective- Think checkerboard floors, or railroad tracks. This doesn't mean that you CAN'T use horizontal lines- just remember that the effect isn't as strong. A few great ways to get lines running the length of the painting are wood or checker floors, roads, fences, power lines- and so on.

SKETCH D
The best way to tell if something is going to work out is to try it. Draw it, but remember that things work differently when you translate them into the 3-d world of the actual block. This is where paper models come in handy, build a couple of them, draw some sketches on them, and see how things work. Trust me, it will be addictive- I have sketched in my book for probably 30 blocks that I want to paint. Now, all I need is the time to do them!!

Hopefully, this post will be helpful in designing your block. If you have any questions, refer to the reference links, or feel free to PM or E-Mail me, and I will try to help out as much as possible. Most importantly, make sure you post some of your ideas and sketches in the studio, as inspiration and help for others....

-Andrew
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 08:50 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I see that the project is now full- As I mentioned, I will be maintaining a list of alternates, so send me a PM if you are interested.

I have been working on a few blocks this week, doing some tests on things to see what size block is most effective for the project... There are actually 2 of us acting as guinea pigs, to get the kinks worked out of things before I actually build all the blocks.

I posted my block WIP's in the Studio, Check them out!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 08:53 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhume
I'm thinking about including buildings but I've never really painted a building before (at least, not at all well), so I'm not sure where that will end up.

Don't let that stop you! I have never really painted ANYTHING. I am new to painting- Search for WC threads started by me and you will see every painting that I have ever done- All 5-10 of them... I am not a painter by any means!

GO FOR IT!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:36 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Honor, MI

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: Printmakerguy

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44450

This reminds me of one of my flying dreams ...So interesting...I need to make a paper model to try out some things!

Lauren

www.LaurenEverettFinn.com my blog
facebook
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 10:18 AM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44452

All yours are looking so cool! I was trying some photography ones, wasn't working out at all. I was doing the top lighter, and then of course it catches the light so its way-lighter. Jumps right out at you, not the look we want. I was thinking aereal aireal (spelling? ) perspective where mountains and stuff get lighter as they go back in distance. Lori

My Blog
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 01:20 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Hi Andrew and all! Just checking in here. I have been thinking about painting a room such as a livingroom or kitchen. I will be freed up more after this weekend and should get some drawings done and posted "in progress". Thanks again for this unique project! Can't wait to see what others are cooking up. Love the miniature Gallery idea!
Barbara
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Helena, MT

Hails from United States

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44450

I would like to see it from the end so we can see the full
effect.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2005, 09:08 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Comment on final entry by: Printmakerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lee
I would like to see it from the end so we can see the full
effect.

This is the Head-On view-

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 09:13 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Comment on progress entry by: neilhume

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44480

I like this!!

I have some sketches in my book with canals/arches, but they are surreal, not of an actual place like amsterdam... This could work very well!

-Andrew
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 09:14 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Comment on progress entry by: neilhume

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44482

Also a nice one, and could work... Perhaps it just needs something more to draw the viewers eye to the center? Just a though...

-Andrew
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 09:34 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: neilhume

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44480

This looks real cool to me, it looks like its going back to the background. Lori

My Blog
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 12:07 AM
New Brunswick, NJ, USA (originally from Cambridge, England)

Hails from England

Thanks for your positive comments! I wish I could do several actual blocks for this as I know I'm going to have problems deciding which one to do. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyones work - I know there's going to be a lot of inspiration for regular paintings.