WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Project Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Athens Ohio

Hails from United States
Post Project Discussion: Artists Trading Cards ( ATC )

A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Artists Trading Cards ( ATC )
Project Leader: Morganna
Relative Difficulty: Easy
Type Restrictions: Any Type
Medium: Any Medium
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: Always
Maximum participants allowed: Unlimited

Description:

Welcome to the Project! Every one is welcomed to participate. All skill levels are welcomed; all media is welcomed and any style goes!

Artist trading cards (ATC for short) are tiny works of art that you create for trade with other artists. It has been around since 1997 and has taken off very well. (see links for more info on its founder).

There is only one rule:

The cards must be 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches. Or 64x89mm. Basically the size of a baseball card, other trading card or a poker card. That way people can store them in a trading card album.

Thatís about it for rules. On the back of your card you give it a signature; title of the card; contact info; and whether the card is an original; series; or a limited edition card.

The sky is the limit. Every medium can be used. It is only limited to your imagination. Drawing, collage, oil, acrylic, watercolor, ink, stamp, colored pencil, photography, digital etc. Just to name a few. And don't forget that this is not limited by style either. All styles, realism or abstract are equal here.

The purpose of this project is to have fun with your creativity; your abilities; to experiment; to recharge your creative energy when your feeling down and out about bigger projects; to share your work with others, and to build your collection of each others art. In short it is art for us, not them. The project is anything you want it to be. That is the beauty of the ATC card. My purpose is to spread the word at WC, because these cards, which I have been making in my spare time, have done so much for me in many ways that I simply cannot keep them to myself.

There are to many resources on the web about ATC's to count, but I have added five links, which seem to be the most useful. But if you would like all you have to do is type "ATC cards" in your search engine. There is a lot of info out there.

The best way to start is to just do it. Jump right in and the rest comes easy. They are made on sturdy card stock, Poker cards etc. There are also templates on the web, but sometimes using a poker card or a commercial playing card as a guide is all thatís needed.

If you don't quite understand I encourage you to follow one of the links and see for yourself. Also there is a wealth of examples of other peopleís cards on the web. The title image is an example of some of the cards I've created.

Thanks for considering the project and I hope to see you soon!

Morganna

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here!

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

Last edited by Jakeally : 08-21-2004 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Editing WC quirks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2004, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Bad Nauheim, Frankfurt/Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Project Discussion: Artists Trading Cards ( ATC )

Hi , I'm in,I have ATCs in my mind since a long time and want to do that. But is the purpose of the project also to do an exchange? You know ATCs are made to exchange them , to give them to other artists and to recieve cards from other artists.
Have a nice WE
Gudrun
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2004, 07:29 AM
East of the Mississippi, south of the Mason Dixon.

Hails from United States

Me too. This will be my first ever project at WC. Id also like to know what the exchange plans are. I really don't know too many other artists and none of the ones I know would be likely to want to do this. It might be fun to start out trading with our contacts at WC anyway.
Thanks Morgie!
sara
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2004, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Yep ... I would like to join this project too. If you could PM me with the details of how the exchange is going to work I can add it to the project pages for you
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Athens Ohio

Hails from United States

Hey guys. Thanks for considering

Gudrun, I know about exchangeing, I had all of that info typed out, but thier was some kind of wierd hic up when I submitted the project that caused me to have to re type everything. Well I forgot to put that info in, so I'll make it up here.

Yes, there will be exchanges, unless of course that person dosn't care too, but im sure most (including myself) would love to exchange Including the one's I already have before the project providing im finished with it. I was thinking when person A wants to make an exchange with person B, They could exchange thier real name and adresses via PM to protect thier address from being on the public board.

sara, This is my first project ever, and ever started. So bear with me guys im a shy person and im nervous as heck. I hear you. I want to try to exchange with WC members first. This is after all my stomping ground. We will just have to see how folks feel about exchangeing. But the best way of turning them around is if we've got a card they simply cannot live without and vice versa

Thanks Chris I'll pm you as soon as we work out the details. Since this entails real addresses, some international addresses, packing the card(s) carfully. I figured we'd better work it out like a demacracy. what do yall think? Also Who among you has exchanged by mail before? I have I think about a dozen cards and havn't traded yet. what do yall think?

Morgie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Loughborough

Hails from United Kingdom

Thats me signed up!

I look forward to be trading with everyone! what a great idea. I have to try and breakdown my ideas now so off i go.

i will keep checking the thread
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Athens Ohio

Hails from United States

Welcome and thank you sanzi!

Im going to get my thinking cap on as well. Also im going to be posting up my already made up finished one's individually. They will be up for trade of course. There is no obligation if yall don't like my cards either. in fact I love C&C because I need to know these things . I got my fingers crossed.

Since this is my first project and i hope I put all info togeather and couldn't possibly put everything on the splash page. Yall let me know if you need to know anything. Especliy stuff on the creation of cards, since every body does things thier own way. I do it the ultra anal way only so I can get any surface I want. Person A's Way might be unessesary to person B's way of doing. Im also hoping to get people who have never done this before and they may be confused as to how to go about this. I had to really figure this out for myself a year ago, because I couldn't find much info on it. So, I figurd we could all outline how we make our blank cards.

I gotta git for now. but im going to work out how I do mine and post it tomorrow.

Morgie
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Bad Nauheim, Frankfurt/Germany

Hails from Germany

I never traded before , I took part on other exchange projects here at WC. But I always looked for possibilities to trade ATCs, there are not so much in Germany.Hmmm, it's not so easy. If we upload a certain number, may be two ore more people want to have one special card. Or may be we say, everybody exchanges with all the otheres, but than you have to limit the participants(but may be thats a good way). Or lets say, we upload and whoever PMs first gets the card and sends one. But than you have to wait with sending, because may be later you want to have another card exactly from this artist and because of the costs we should try to send only one envelope...We have to discuss it. The noral way of ATCs is, just send to an address 20 or 10 cards and you will get 20 or 10 back. Mixed, from certain artists. Than we need a central address...In Germany we say, we have to go into the thinking pond
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Just dropping by... sounds like a great project. By the way, thought some people might be interested in this:

http://www.galleryonherald.com/upcoming.html

(Deadline is September 4, 2004, so might have to hurry.)

Have fun everyone! Looking foward to seeing the submissions.

-- Issa
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Enthusiast
Heidelberg, Germany

Hails from Germany

Hello,

Thank you Morggie for this project. I've just sign up.

My suggestions :
- we can keep the project virtual : no cost, but no exchange too (at least throw wc), just a virtual exhibition.
- when two participants want to trade cards, they PM each other, and update the title of their card accordingly,
- with a limited number of participants (e.g. 20) and a given timeframe, every participant could give its address to the project leader (who then brosdcasts the address list) and produce as many ATC as participants. Each participant support the mailing costs,
- each participant commits to produce a more limited number of ATC (e.g. 3), and the project leaders has some additional work managing that everybody gets something,

Anyway, we'll have fun !

Anne

My Artist Trading Cards gallery
My photos in the Reference Image Library (French alps, cows, a few other places in Europe)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Immortalized
My Heart's in Marquette, My butt's stuck in Vegas!

Hails from United States

This sounds like fun, I'd be willing to exchange as well. That way you can look at mine and say "It could be worse, my art could look like his..." I'll check back with this thread to keep abreast of things...

Greg
Romans 12:18 "If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone"
My Website
Stock Photos
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Athens Ohio

Hails from United States

Hey guys im back

I spent the morning writing out some different ways of making cards so that people who've never done it before could have a place to start. I'll type that out soon.

Thanks guys for the great suggestions, ill just post down the line in a nut shell kind of way.

Hmmm, I don't really want to limit the partisipants because I want to keep it open and free; also it adds variety of the many different styles and mediums. Well just have to play that one by ear for now, kind of work out the bugs. I feel like the more folks we have to partisipate, the more likely every one gets to trade. Before creating the project I've noted that not many projects get more than 30 people and the average seemed at the 13 people mark. If we did get 30 I think we could consider ourselves lucky More cards created and more fun.

Thanks for posting that link hlee! I think that'll show folks that think ATC silly how serious they are taken

We are definatly going to exchange, but I don't think we should force people who are uncomfortable. They may be nervous about giving thier home addy. Anybody thats ever had a stalker knows this (I have before) However, I think that people who don't want to will waurm up to it once they see all of the trades taking place. They may just want to get to know us better. Also because some folks will only exchange in person, because they like the other part of ATC which is to mingle with other artists. I would like them to showcase thier cards, but I don't want to be pushy with the mailing with them. I want those ATC'ers to be welcomed too.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys I think yall helped me think of a way to aproach this and make all happy what do you all think of the following:

Baby steps. To take one thing at time. First we will have fun making our cards with glee and posting them in the progress or finished piece section. That way we could comment on each others cards and get an acumilation going.

Decide who will be exchangeing and who wants to wait, or opt out. Some folks may want to acumulate more cards first before the first exchange. We can anounce which cards we exchange with who which will be fun but addys will be pm'ed only. We may end up knowing where we all live but that way all of 45,000 WC members don't LOL

When exchangeing the person mailing thier cards should be responsilble for protecting (making sure they are mailed in such a way so the cards not damaged) and postage. And vice versa to the person mailing thier cards to them. I know yall's concerns as I am always broke LOL. But a few things can be worked out on that as well. Which we need to talk about.

It would be great if sombody who's mailed cards before could give us all tips on how to protect them, other wise I got some surfing to do

Ok those are the ideas im very sure about along with things that I had in mind and I do want to hear your opinons on it.

Here are some things im still kicking around in my head:

International mailings. What I do know about international mailings is that air mail is esential. If your card travels by boat, then you won't see a card for 3 months. Keep that in mind yall. Other than that I need more info on international myself.

On state to state mailings, I feel we don't need exspensive mailings. Ground shipping will suffice. Especily for us broke folk. Just be sure to pack that baby (s) with care.

I for one will make a garentee that anyone who recieves my card damaged because of some yehoo postal service guy (sorry postal service guy ) I will make that exact same card again for them.

Now that we got some info posted tell me what yall think. I need your feed back.

Morgie
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Athens Ohio

Hails from United States

thanks for joining Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Art Guy
This sounds like fun, I'd be willing to exchange as well. That way you can look at mine and say "It could be worse, my art could look like his..." I'll check back with this thread to keep abreast of things...

LOL I have a feeling from the above statement that your cards are going to be stunning! LOL Most people who say that are damn good. from my experience over at the weekly drawing project on the drawing fourm. Any body who says that their drawing comes out all awsome and what not

Morgie
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Immortalized
My Heart's in Marquette, My butt's stuck in Vegas!

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganna
thanks for joining Greg.

LOL I have a feeling from the above statement that your cards are going to be stunning! LOL Most people who say that are damn good. from my experience over at the weekly drawing project on the drawing fourm. Any body who says that their drawing comes out all awsome and what not

Morgie
Stunning good or stunning bad? I have some really bad stuff sitting at home.... But it would be interesting to do.
Romans 12:18 "If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone"
My Website
Stock Photos
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Athens Ohio

Hails from United States

Sorry about that stunning as in awsome or better put; great art work. Sorry If I conveyed the wrong way. Its hard putting your emotions into type.

So I meant the good stunning!

Morgie