WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Project Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 02:47 AM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States
Post Project Discussion: Reverspective

A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Reverspective
Project Leader: Printmakerguy
Relative Difficulty: Medium
Type Restrictions: Painting
Medium: Any Medium
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: 30
Maximum participants allowed: 10

Description:

In this project, we will explore the interesting world of Reverspective, an ingenious technique pioneered by English artist Patrick Hughes.

The technique involves painting on a 3- dimensional flat-topped pyramid support, creating an optical illusion for the viewer. The 'Point' of the pyramid is displayed closest to the viewer, BUT has the part of the painting that we wish the viewer to perceive as farthest away painted on it. The parts of the painting that we wish the viewer to perceive as CLOSEST to them are actually farthest away. It is a bit confusing, until we actually see it in action, then it makes perfect sense.

The effect of this is an illusion of perspective, that changes as you view the painting from different angles. The effect is actually quite interesting to see, and very fun to achieve! This make a real conversation piece, as well as an interesting exercise in perspective for any artist.

Here is what is involved in the project-

1) I will provide up to 10 blocks to paint on- free of charge- as for someone without woodworking skills and equipment, this is the difficult part. If you want to try building your own, I can also provide plans and/or guidance.

2) Sketch several potential designs for the finished block, and post them in the progress area. If you need help coming up with an idea, check out the reference links. I have studied the effect of the paintings, and have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't in them, so I am more than willing to help if asked.

3) Put the image on your block! Painting is the most common way, either with oils or acrylics, but if you are creative, there is no reason you can't use some other method. Be sure to post W.I.P's as you go!

4) Post your final image in the gallery for all to enjoy!

Keep in mind that the blocks DO require a fair amount of work on my part, so please only sign up if you intend to complete the project. Also, if something comes up that prevents you from participating, please let me know so someone else can have a shot at it.

The reference links provide info on Patrick Hughes, the Reverspective concept, and another artist, Kreg Yingst, who does similar work.

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here!

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

Last edited by Jakeally : 01-17-2005 at 02:49 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 08:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Project Discussion: Reverspective

This sounds like a very interesting project and I will be watching with great interest. I will not enter this time because I am not sure I understand and wouldn't want you to have to send a block all the way down here but as I say, curiousity will have me glued to this thread.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

This should be an interesting project, for sure! You will have a few weeks to play with ideas and concepts before you will actually have a block to paint on, as I will not be able to get them made until that time. I am a Merchant Marine officer, and will be on my ship for a while. I still have Internet and E-Mail capabilities while I am there, so I will still be involved.

In the mean time, we need to play with IDEAS. I will post some short 'articles' on the reverspective concept and how it works, so hopefully we'll all understand it by the time we begin painting. If you have any questions, Please don't hesitate to ask!

-Andrew
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 10:07 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Thanks Andrew - I'm signed up!
Barbara
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 02:15 PM
New Brunswick, NJ, USA (originally from Cambridge, England)

Hails from England

I have signed up as I'm hoping I can transfer my most recent painting to this format (the one in the Acrylics thread). I'll try to come up with some other ideas too.

I'm hoping I'll be able to fit this around my work schedule as I'm traveling quite a lot at the moment. Hopefully I'll have enough time at the weekends.

Thanks,

Neil
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 02:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Thanks so much, Andrew, for setting this up... I'm in, too! I've got a million ideas... just need to trap one on the block.

Diane
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Helena, MT

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: Printmakerguy

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44355

Oh I really like this idea. I was actually thinking of something that resembled an art gallery with paintings along the walls with on at the far end. Then I get to do miniatures as well as your project.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2005, 05:05 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Comment on final entry by: Printmakerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lee

Oh I really like this idea. I was actually thinking of something that resembled an art gallery with paintings along the walls with on at the far end. Then I get to do miniatures as well as your project.

THanks...

Check out the link to Patrick Huges page, he has several that are done to resemble art galleries, with exact copies of famous paintings in them! Really neat...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2005, 10:14 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: Printmakerguy

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44355

This looks super so far, are you going to add people? Lori

My Blog
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2005, 09:49 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: Lorijo

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44373

Nice to see that you are experimenting!!

Perspective is TOUGH to master, this project is certainly a help in that. Makes you think about it in different ways!

Objects like people seem to be very tough to add to this sort of painting. try to keep them on one panel, for example the side only... Otherwise, it just doesnt work right when you do the 'trick'... They are distorted.

I have a WHOLE bunch of design tips that I am putting together, but I have to do some sketches and things, and will get to them soon... Hopefully, they will help the design process a bit...

Love where you are going, though! Can't wait to see more!

-Andrew
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 01:20 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Hi Andrew and all! Just checking in here. I have been thinking about painting a room such as a livingroom or kitchen. I will be freed up more after this weekend and should get some drawings done and posted "in progress". Thanks again for this unique project! Can't wait to see what others are cooking up. Love the miniature Gallery idea!
Barbara
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Helena, MT

Hails from United States

Well Andrew despite tax season I finally finished the project. Once again thank you so much for you efforts for all of us. I am looking forward to your next project.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: neilhume

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44391

This concept looks like it will work quite well!!

One tip I will offer is for the floor- It looks like you have boards running the width of the block. This is fine, and will work- BUT I have found that the more lines you have running the length of the block, towards the vanishing point, the stronger the illusion...

-Andrew
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 PM
New Brunswick, NJ, USA (originally from Cambridge, England)

Hails from England

Thanks Andrew, if I go with that design I will put in boards the other way round as I'm certain you're correct. When I did the painting I wasn't sure what would work best and I basically decided on that way round to mirror what was happening up top. I could probably do something different on the top part also to achieve the same effect.

I'm working on other ideas now but I'm away from home so won't be able to post anything until the weekend. I'm thinking about including buildings but I've never really painted a building before (at least, not at all well), so I'm not sure where that will end up.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 08:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Honor, MI

Hails from United States

Shoot! You are full up!

I'll be watching with interest!

What a generous guy... and an interesting idea!

Lauren

www.LaurenEverettFinn.com my blog
facebook