WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Halifax, NS

Hails from Canada
Re: What Are We Really Looking For?

I'm looking for whatever I find...
Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
I got to thinking yesterday about my growth as an artist. I think my work used to look cleaner, but more child-like and accidental. Now, it's more intentional, more complex, and often more dirty. So ... then I got to thinking about Picasso. Most people likely think he only ever did the strange, distorted figures, but he was as far removed from that in the beginning. Doesn't he have a quote along the lines of "It took me four years to paint like a master, and a lifetime to paint like a child"? I'm wondering if the magic I felt in the very beginning, almost six years now, WAS the moment that I was truly creating, and if now I'm just more and more becoming something I never was. Does that make sense? I tend to think [wonder] about who I am, where I am, what my cause is. Many folks I know seemingly NEVER contemplate anything other than whether they need to check the oil in their car, take a vacation, pay the bills, etc. Right now I'm feeling a little sad, that I'm not the artist I was in the beginning. Am I feeling the sadness that Picasso also felt?

George, about Picasso, does he say why he wanted to paint like a child? An artist I know told me that Picasso started painting this way as a joke on the world to prove he could paint anything and people would fall for it. I wonder if it's true? Wouldn't surprise me. I much prefer his early work!!

The magic aka the honeymoon period is bound to end no matter what it is you get excited about but that can lead to something deeper, it's just that after the honeymoon period you have to put in the work. It's work at somerhing you love though so it doesn't really feel quite like work aka drudgery😜
I used to analyze things to death! Thinking about all the things you mentioned is a good thing but if it immobilizes you or depresses you then maybe it's just too much of a good thing? I had to teach myself to let go of all of it and just "do the work."

You ARE the artist you were in the beginning and more! You are a growing artist experiencing growing pains! Do the work and keep feeding your art and you will keep growing cuz whatever you feed will grow!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: What Are We Really Looking For?

George, about Picasso, does he say why he wanted to paint like a child? An artist I know told me that Picasso started painting this way as a joke on the world to prove he could paint anything and people would fall for it. I wonder if it's true? Wouldn't surprise me.

This anecdote has been around for years... and is pure bunk started by those who want/need to discredit Picasso. I've read it several times over the years at the ARC. The fact of the matter is Picasso had a solid audience and group of patrons for his early paintings from the time of the final Blue Period paintings through the Rose Period c. 1903-1907.

The paintings of this period were largely informed by the examples of El Greco, Edvard Munch, Gauguin, Pierre Puvis de Chavannes and other Symbolists. There are some masterful paintings from this period, but Picasso would not have become the giant he is had he not broke away toward an even more daring visual language.

By late 1905-07 He was bringing new influences to bear upon his work: Medieval Spanish Romanesque art, African sculpture, and especially Cezanne. The work of this period clearly suggests Cezanne taken a step further:

Picasso's huge breakthrough dates from 1907: Les Demoiselle's d'Avignon

"Le Demoiselles..." was years ahead of its time and shocked not just the art audience and Picasso's patrons (Albert Barnes, who built the Barnes Collection would buy nothing by Picasso from this period onward) but also other artists. Matisse famously declared it was as if Picasso was trying to "make us drink turpentine and swallow fire!" The painting was never given a proper public exhibition until 1916... and even then the reviews were scathing. Picasso ended up rolling "Les Demoiselles" up and placing it in storage until 1924 when it was sold to the designer Jacques Doucet for far less than Picasso's usual price... with the understanding that when Doucet died, the painting would be willed to the Louvre. When Doucet did pass away in 1929 the painting was not willed to the Louvre, and was sold at auction to the Museum of Modern Art, New York in 1937.

Picasso would pull away from the violently fragmented forms of "Les Demoiselles" until the mid-1920s. The subsequent paintings again returned to landscapes and still-life that were clearly building upon Cezanne:

While the Analytical Cubist paintings from 1909 onward... painted with George Braque... were formally every bit as daring as "Les Demoiselles..." these were in no way as shocking and violent...

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: What Are We Really Looking For?

It should be noted that along with Picasso's more unsettling experiments with Modernism, he repeatedly returned to a more traditional approach to painting over the years. Following WWI, many artists turned away from the extremes of Modernism:

Picasso would return to such work over the decades:

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

The truth is that Picasso could have done pretty much anything the hell he wanted to do.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

The eyes are uneven.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
George, about Picasso, does he say why he wanted to paint like a child? An artist I know told me that Picasso started painting this way as a joke on the world to prove he could paint anything and people would fall for it. I wonder if it's true? Wouldn't surprise me.

This anecdote has been around for years... and is pure bunk started by those who want/need to discredit Picasso. I've read it several times over the years at the ARC.

Another one spread by people in their circle is that all his early works (i.e. the academic ones he made as a teen) were in fact painted by his father, and then signed by him after his father's death (because, obviously, he couldn't actually paint).

Now I have a lot of sympathy for a lot of what ARC stands for, but I have to wonder why these people feel they have to resort to lying to make their point. One can argue that Picasso's work is ugly; it's pretty blatantly obvious that he could in fact paint, and that not any child can do what he did.

His admiration for the work of children is perhaps actually not misplaced - it is nowadays well known that young children draw and paint with a confidence, spontaneity and sense of composition that they seem to lose as they grow up:

Panayiota Tsikou, age 8, Cyprus bride

Vika Sycheva, age 8, Planet with five suns

Zihan Hasan, age 4, Two sisters

Well, anyone could draw inspiration from pictures like the above, I would think. :-)

Picasso likely also realized that it is almost impossible for an adult artist to recapture their own youthful art. One can see this in films where the art of child characters play some or other role - the art used in such films are mostly done by adults trying to draw like children, and it almost always shows.

But all of this still doesn't mean Picasso couldn't draw, or that it was all one big joke to him. There is a different between playful or childlike art and childish art.

Last edited by brianvds : 03-20-2017 at 10:26 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLing
Personally, I like to make things. I consider art good when it can stand on its own, without me or my stories or purposes, just be, and with enough "personality" that it can "carry on its own conversation" so to speak, to a number of people. It's why, though I'm a kind of loner, I NEED other people, to respond to my work.

I'm not looking for connections to ancestors, but I think, when I feel successful, that I've somehow reached reality.

Other than that, I guess I'll know it when I find it.

This kind of resonates with me. "Good" art doesn't need a narrative element, unless that's what you seek. Aesthetic interest, and elements such as mood and atmosphere.. are more than enough to carry visual art on its own.

But then maybe the act of creation is the most important thing for me, even if I want others to respond to my art. I do sometimes feel, "why bother if I'm just doing it for myself, with almost no audience?" but then I realize, this is what I *need* to be doing.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2017, 02:43 PM
A Local Legend
Århus

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
I still haven't found it...

It's under the bed.

But then again, you will never find it. No one will. It's the journey, not the destination.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Just ask Bono.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 01:26 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

You are a smart, creative, driven person. That is why you care about these things and think about these things. Many people I know also only live day to day. They work hard, they have financial pressures, they want to get away and relax. You and I are driven to create. They are not. That's why we have WetCanvas: because we understand what the rest of the world doesn't.

Keep painting. For me, the more I learn, the less I know. But that doesn't mean I want to stay ignorant. Just keep painting.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast
Jacksonville, Florida

I now paint what and how I feel not how I think others will perceive what I have painted...