WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 AM

getting my sketches off my ipad to a computer

I know this may sound obvious to others, but I am a new owner of an ipad1.

I plan on using it as a sketchbook, it looks there are alot of great sketching apps, but after a Google search, I did not seem to find a straight answer to how to get the sketches off my ipad, & onto a computer or external hard drive.

I know there is itunes, but I would like to be able to get to the sketches directly without itunes.

is this possible? is there a simple & direct way to do this? ie; connect ipad via usb to my computer & download the sketches.

where would the sketches be stored in th ipad dirctory? under it's apps? or in photos?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: getting my sketches off my ipad to a computer

Do you have email on it - if so, email them as attachments to yourself, then open them on your desktop.

Not sure about an Ipad, but my Thrive has a USB port so I can copy stuff on to that also.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribblet
Do you have email on it - if so, email them as attachments to yourself, then open them on your desktop.

This is the way I do it as well.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

I use email or you can save them off as images, depending on the app you used to create them.

Personally, I find email to be the simpliest.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Miami, FL

Hails from United States

Another good way to get those sketches off the ipad to another computer would be to use FTP. if you have your own server just upload the images from the ipad to your ftp directory and download them from there.

The same concept also go for free cloud storage accounts. You can upload the sketches from ipad to something like a dropbox or box.net account and download them from there. I serious hate that the ipad doesn't have the external connections. Would be great to use a mouse (wireless usb) to use photoshop or other high end graphics tools that require a mouse.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Be careful with iCloud. My wife and I turned that feature on a few months ago, right after we got our new iMacs. All of the sudden, we found that our network speed dropped off into the Grand Canyon, when we were used to seeing it flying around in space(i.e. too much bandwidth). I did some checking of various things and found that iCloud sucks up bandwidth.

We turned it off and have not had any issues since.

I know that updates have occured since then. So, I'm not sure if iCloud has gotten any nicer about playing with others on a network.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 AM

Definitely the apps. I think they have a separate folder for the photos saved from the program.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM

If you own a mac there is an application called Image Capture that comes stock in OSX. Any images saved to your photo gallery can be extracted via this app. You will find this app in your Applications folder or search for "image capture" via spotlight with cmd+space. when you run the application you need to hook your iPad up to your mac via USB. The application is pretty self explanatory.

On a window's machine you should be able to mount the iPad as a usb device with your cable and you just need to root though some of the folders that you see on your iPad. I wouldn't delete anything but you can copy the images to your computer.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 PM

Wouldn't the easiest way be connecting the iPad to Itunes, and the dragging the art file from Itunes to a different folder?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM

bapfx....Image Capture does not work on an iPad. You just need to copy them over. I've never seen my iPad dock up so I can use it like an iPod or hard drive. But, at that point...I would just copy the files, no need for screenshots.

Nick...It depends on what applicaiton created, where it saves it, etc. If you can put it in the Camera Roll, then (I think) copying them becomes easy. Otherwise...finding them can be an issue.