Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Getting to like Quinacridone Red (oils) PV19

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Pinguino

I have little need for red, except as a modifier for other colors. That is, even though red is not considered to be a mixing primary, it can be used that way (to some extent), depending on what other colors are in your palette.

It is my understanding that PV19 QR is sometimes used as the magenta primary in CMYK printing. Being far from a true magenta, it favors colors in the orange range, at the expense of deep blues, violets, and purples. But that is acceptable (even desirable) in many CMYK applications. Also, PV19 QR is an excellent, transparent mixing complement to PG36 (Phthalo Green, Yellow Shade).

For some time, a tube of Gamblin’s Quinacridone Red (QR) (PV19) oil was sitting in my kit, unused. This pigment is a crimson red, not the same as the more rose, magenta or violet versions of PV19. Based on my inspection of color samples at the Blick web site, the PV19 QR is somewhat similar to W&N’s PR209 version of QR. But only “somewhat similar.”

So I pulled out the tube of paint, and decided to see how it played with other colors. I first set a high bar: I compared to W&N’s Scarlet Lake (PR255), which is about as close to real Vermilion as I can get in a non-toxic color.

To my surprise, I was able to emulate PR255 using QR and either PY110 (Rembrandt Stil de Grain, similar to Indian Yellow or Hansa Yellow Deep), or PY128 (Transparent Yellow, neither warm nor cool). Didn’t try with more common colors such as Hansa or Cadmium Yellow, which I don’t have.

Then, using different proportions, I was able to get a wide range of oranges.

In the opposite direction, purples and violets were subdued, when mixing QR with either Ultramarine Blue or Indanthrone Blue. This was as expected, and is not a problem for me (I can always pull out Dioxazine Purple).

I also tried a few mixes of QR with more distant colors (Phthalos) and got interesting results.

On the other hand, PR255 (which is more chromatic and opaque by itself) does not play as well with other colors. I imagine that the same can be said for any chromatic, opaque red.

WFMartin

I usually consider my Thalo Red Rose by Grumbacher, or my Permanent Rose 502 by W & N to be my “Magenta”. Both are PV19.

The reason I chose PV19 rather than some of those paints actually named, “Magenta” is that the PV19 plots very close to the outer ring of the color wheel. Some of those “Magenta” paints may be closer in hue to plotting on the correct “spoke” of the color wheel, but only at the expense of chroma. They are a bit grayer (dirtier). This makes my choice of PV19 as a primary color seem more logical. To be a true primary color, it not only needs to plot at a given hue on the color wheel (spoke), but also at (or near) the outer ring of the wheel.

I’m not sure what the Quinacridone Red PV19 may exhibit in terms of its actual hue, but I’m sure it works very well for your use! I believe that it is transparent, as well, making it a very versatile color for mixing.

It is interesting to note that I use Quinacridone Red by M. Graham, but its pigment ID is PR209 ! It exhibits a greater Yellow contribution than PV19. It’s a very useful color, too, especially for transitions between Magenta, and Red.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Pinguino

I’m not sure what the Quinacridone Red PV19 may exhibit in terms of its actual hue, but I’m sure it works very well for your use! I believe that it is transparent, as well, making it a very versatile color for mixing.

Happy to see that you noticed this thread, since you are the CMYK expert around here.

PV19 comes in different molecular variations, with different results in terms of hue. The “red” version is rather crimson, somewhat like PR209. The “violet” version is rather maroon in mass tone, exhibiting dull violet when whitened a bit. The “rose” is probably somewhere in between (mixture?).

One modification to my first remarks: PV19 is semi-transparent to transparent. When mixed with a transparent yellow, the result (whether scarlet or orange) will also be transparent, wonderful for glazing. Many other pigments in that range (including PR255) are semi-opaque to fully opaque.

The Gamblin “Chromatic Black” is a blend of PG36 and PV19 red. It is more transparent than Ivory Black.

WFMartin

You are correct regarding the use of two transparent colors for mixing.

I’ve found that W & N’s Transparent Yellow 653 (PY128) serves as a very useful transparent Yellow. The only other one I’ve found is Rembrandt’s Transparent Yellow, and it, too, is PY128.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Docpro

The Gamblin “Chromatic Black” is a blend of PG36 and PV19 red. It is more transparent than Ivory Black.

I have all 3 of these Gamblin paints and use them for silky inky lush in oil lines and glazes.

OTOH: Ivory black = hideous ‘gangreen’ for (my) glazes and lines.

1) I stopped trying to use PV19 with yellows to make orange-reds … everyone of them is dark and muddy compared to the bright orange-warmth necessary for my eyes.

PY110 (an Indian) has received strong attention of late.

But while W&N PY128 sounds promising as a transparent yellow (that I somehow missed in my yellow experiments) … I doubt that any 2 transparent pigments + any white could come near the opaque warmth and brightness of:

Bill’s recommended Benzi Orange (ArtTreeHouse) and my Cadmiums.

PY123, per http://www.artiscreation.com/yellow.html#PY128, has a greenish undertone.

30 years ago I did paint exclusively with PW6, PV19, PY3, and and a pthalo-blue (the latter nearly destroyed everything) … which worked fair for Maimi beach scenes.

Once warmth became my mandate, I realized that all my resultant oranges were lifeless and muddy in natural (blue) light!

Shimmering Grays and Browns:

Today I had the great joy of mixing semi-transparent Benzi Orange (which I love) + W&N prussian blue. For the minimalist that’s just 2 pigments for portraits … + a white.

… There were no transitional muddy greens nor purples in the grays and browns!:clap:

Instead of PV19: Consider these excellent Red-oranges … incrementally from red to orange:
                        ArtTreeHouse’ Benzimedazalone Orange (PO36) (my fav)
                        W&N Cad Scarlet (a PR108)
                        M. Graham’s Scarlet Pyrrol (PO73—Transparent Pyrrole Orange)
                        Old Holland Coral Orange: PO67—Pyrazoloquinazolone Orange
                        Gamblin’s PO20 (cad o. deep)
                        Holbeins Cad Orange Red (shade) PR108

Utmost blessings!

Gigalot

30 years ago I did paint exclusively with PW6, PV19, PY3, and and a pthalo-blue (the latter nearly destroyed everything) … which worked fair for Maimi beach scenes.

I did the same choice in acrylic underpainting for oils. To give an Acrylic Wings to my poor sink-in oils. That gives second life to my oil painting to prevent future cracks, yellowing, delamination and gave me the wide road to paint with layers on flexible canvases without having troubles. However, quality acrylic films dries quickly and therefore, limited palette is a number one of choice. CMYK is unbeatable color scheme for acrylics. So, I took PW6, PY3; PV19; PB15:3 to build CMY. To eliminate million troubles with such colors I also added Raw Sienna; Venetian Red; Mid Green to my acrylic collection. As for Black, it is most useful color for me, but I like self-made Vine Black. Vine Black powder + Acrylic gloss varnish gives gorgeous Black acrylic paint! :) Oil painting with acrylic support and acrylic drying engine inside isn’t a best practice for modern oil painting technique? :wave: What Tad Spurgeon really tried to get with his experiments? He want to invent oil painting medium with the properties of acrylic medium. Non-yellowish, fastest drying and flexible drying oil. I just replaced “hand refined organic flax seed oil” to “acrylic medium” and got what he love so much! :lol:

Docpro

I did the same choice in acrylic underpainting for oils. To give an Acrylic Wings to my poor sink-in oils. That gives second life to my oil painting to prevent future cracks, yellowing, delamination and gave me the wide road to paint with layers on flexible canvases without having troubles. However, quality acrylic films dries quickly and therefore, limited palette is a number one of choice. CMYK is unbeatable color scheme for acrylics. So, I took PW6, PY3; PV19; PB15:3 to build CMY. To eliminate million troubles with such colors I also added Raw Sienna; Venetian Red; Mid Green to my acrylic collection. As for Black, it is most useful color for me, but I like self-made Vine Black. Vine Black powder + Acrylic gloss varnish gives gorgeous Black acrylic paint! :) Oil painting with acrylic support and acrylic drying engine inside isn’t a best practice for modern oil painting technique? :wave: What Tad Spurgeon really tried to get with his experiments? He want to invent oil painting medium with the properties of acrylic medium. Non-yellowish, fastest drying and flexible drying oil. I just replaced “hand refined organic flax seed oil” to “acrylic medium” and got what he love so much! :lol:

Thanks for sharing that Gigalot. Doubtless the scheme is ‘cleaner’ with acrylic underpaintings and for the excellent reasons you suggested. I sort of mixed everything to make a black, myself, but things looked like a CMY printer (without the black).

Utmost blessings!
                                Philip

Gigalot

Thanks for sharing that Gigalot. Doubtless the scheme is ‘cleaner’ with acrylic underpaintings and for the excellent reasons you suggested. I sort of mixed everything to make a black, myself, but things looked like a CMY printer (without the black).

Utmost blessings!
                                    Philip

To mix Black with 3 primaries you must have all those primaries in excellent transparency. But to paint normally, transparent paints are less useful than opaque paints. Therefore, you must have each color in two version, in transparent (to mix black) and in opacity (for comfortable creativity). Such palette will be much expensive for me because I still do not have a reason to switch oil to acrylic. Also, acrylic is supersonic drier. To mix Black you need some time, but I do not have it. Paint dries with the speed of F-104 landing :lol:

BTW, Doc, If I do some “CMYK” color mistakes in Acrylic underlayer, I can try to correct then later in oil upperlayer using full collection of oil paints. Just do not crash color wheel too much! ;)

opainter

Also, acrylic is supersonic drier. To mix Black you need some time, but I do not have it. Paint dries with the speed of F-104 landing :lol:

That is well put, I will attest to that!

Gigalot mentioned mixing three transparent primaries to mix black. You can also mix black from a transparent green – Phthalo Green Blue Shade – and a red. Sorry, forget which red, it might be Cadmium Red Light, but of course that is an opaque red. Perhaps someone who mixes a black using green and red like this can step in and clarify which red to use.

Although you are technically including a secondary color, Green, you will not have to also get a transparent yellow, so that is one less color to dry out on your palette! Because humans have excellent color discrimination in the green range of the color spectrum, it is good to have a green. Esp. for painting landscapes, foliage, or flowers.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                                        :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                                        :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

Patrick1

Gigalot mentioned mixing three transparent primaries to mix black. You can also mix black from a transparent green – Phthalo Green Blue Shade – and a red. Sorry, forget which red, it might be Cadmium Red Light, but of course that is an opaque red. Perhaps someone who mixes a black using green and red like this can step in and clarify which red to use.

Any red will work but the darker, more transparent ones will give the darkest blacks. The redder (less purplish) forms of PV19 are a popular, good choice. Any dark crimson or dark maroon will probably work at least as well, maybe better. If you need the black to be more or less perfectly neutral, you’ll have to choose/tweak your pairings with a fair degree of specificity, but for my purposes (usually thick applications), these PG7 + red mixes are more than black enough.

P.S. for color mixing – especially for rich, dark mixes, having a highly transparent yellow (something like Indian Yellow, Nickel Azo Yellow, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide) can be incredibly useful, allowing mixes that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to achieve.

Gigalot

BTW, transparent layer of Mid Green paint on top of Crimson colored underlayer creates good Black-looking result. I cant ever determine any Green color in such substractive mix! :) Useful method when I tried to paint cherries.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.