Home Forums The Learning Center Teacher’s Toolbox Teaching Drawing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ArtsyFellow

Hello everyone! I have what I hope is a relatively simple question. I have gotten myself into teaching a beginner drawing class to a group of 9-12 year olds. I have never really taught before and am unsure of where to start or what sources to use. I would like a simple cirriculum yo use if possible. A step by step sorta thing. Or a book. I have looked at the Drawing and Sketching forum’s Classroom of 101 classes, and like it. Also, the book they recommend, How to Draw what you See by Rudy de Reyna. So…thoughts? Class starts Monday January 15. Help?!

It ain't easy bein' "drawn" to drawin'

DecompressArt

Of course I would shamelessly recommend my beginner drawing tutorial series :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLTbMSP8h0&list=PL_SFbEkniAsXMwkkls9EtlvR-K8M2CgoQ

Take a look and see if there’s anything that could be useful to you :)
            I have 5 videos in that playlist so far.

I make concise videos explaining the key concepts in representational art. ;)
            I'm self-taught so I make these videos as a way to teach and motivate myself.
            https://www.youtube.com/c/DecompressArt

ArtsyFellow

Thanks Decompress Art. They look good and will consider using them. I didnt mention in my post that this class runs for only 9 one hour sessions so i wanna pack as much basic material in as possible, but without overwhelming them. And, this class is every two weeks, so essentially they are only getting 2 hours of instruction per month. This class will likely go on into next years school as well, and I don’t know how many students will return or move on to a higher age/grade level.

DecompressArt

Thanks Decompress Art. They look good and will consider using them. I didnt mention in my post that this class runs for only 9 one hour sessions so i wanna pack as much basic material in as possible, but without overwhelming them. And, this class is every two weeks, so essentially they are only getting 2 hours of instruction per month. This class will likely go on into next years school as well, and I don’t know how many students will return or move on to a higher age/grade level.

I would recommend focusing on the simple but paramount things such as shape, value, edge (and maybe even color)…this way they are unlikely to get overwhelmed and they really learn the fundamentals for any style of art they wish to pursue in the future.

I make concise videos explaining the key concepts in representational art. ;)
                    I'm self-taught so I make these videos as a way to teach and motivate myself.
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/DecompressArt

An activity I did with my extension art students (same age) is a self portrait from a black and white photo that I took of them.
                    The photo was just the face – first was front-on, the second was 3/4 view- printed to the same size as the card- A4. We then used white pencil on black card. Prismacolor were the best brand.
                    They had to look closely at tone (value), shape, size and comparing.
                    They were not allowed to turn the photo the right way around until the end. At the finish, I helped with some fine detail around the eyes with a black chinagraph pencil.
                    This might suit your purpose- a bit time-consuming, though.
                    They absolutely loved the results. When the drawings went on display, most people could recognise them.

bethany
                    moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                    website www.bethanyart.com
                    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

Colleen

is it strictly drawing? Here is my course progression:

Art 1 order of events 

First Semester
                        Create portfolio, on front cover place name and period
                        then do their best to draw their face (can use phone as mirror), hand, and house so they have a reference of how they drew when they came into the class to what they have learned- STAPLE IN PORTFOLIO.

Face vase activity – to begin training brain to switch to right brain (visual/ artistic side)
                        Drawing upside down (these exercises can be found in “Drawing on the right side of the brain” by Betty Edwards- a really great book!”

Design Elements and Principles– Create definitions and examples (tri-fold)
                        Explain that we will be looking at the design elements for this course. Our projects are based off of these art essentials.

***** Power Point Contour Line part one (lots of good youtube videos)
                        Blind contour– Homework- to draw several blind drawings Min. 5 each. Continue then working on regular contour drawings, bottles, jars, objects, hands, shoes etc. five to 10 per day as homework.

– Contour lines part 2 and part 3 – take the best drawings of objects and place transfer their images by tracing etc, onto one paper. Use a color scheme or warm/cool colors. We also drew the hand using contour drawing
                        so they can understand the contours better.
                        Create a piece using contour drawing. Over lap the pieces, make some smaller and higher to appear in the distance. Make the objects in the front have more detail than those in the back

****Value

Create value scale
                        must match the handout, student work on shapes Use clear drawing helps. Talk about the changes in perspective. Draw shapes and shade according to the contours. Neatness counts
                        Drawing shoes, boots, still life. Use netting. Begin shading.

Group grid drawing and shading project – cut up black and white image. Group of four students construct their own drawing from the image using a grid.

Stippling project- use stippling to shade – watch values

*****Linear perspective –
                        1 pt. Presentation – whole class work, students create name and city
                        2 pt. Presentation – whole class work, students create fantasy buildings and book

Space

****Pos/Neg project (powerpoint) AP 1.0 creating the negatives around objects, first by drawing and then cutting out the negatives in construction paper and gluing onto another piece. Limit color choices to complimentary colors. Two to three Objects, they should bleed off the paper.

*****Color wheel- color worksheet Power point
                        Color schemes work, painting tints and shades

******* Texture- Found texture to create image.

(these last projects can be moved to the beginning of the second semester if needed)

Second Semester

****Elements of Composition – Power point
                        They should know what makes a good composition before they begin making art. They must partner up to create a poster that uses good composition and teaches others about it. These are things we should be looking at as we create a body of work.

Review Principles and Elements of Art and design.
                        Design project using Pastels and picture part from magazine

***Portraits –

Basic features and drawings, imaginary person, self portrait

(Tempera painting of portrait) Andy Worhal history

****Imaginary grid
                        Monochromatic pastel drawing (bottle/goblet) –
                        Review space and how to trick the eye using overlapping, how artists use focal point etc.

****Watercolor techniques and paintings as class then one of still life.

*****Block Printing – review of design elements

Scratchboard, Seraut history (essay)– pointillism

Extra projects- to fill in as needed

Escher – Tessellations (essay)

Stencils- pastel

Illuminated Manuscript lesson-
                        Illuminated letter design, calligraphy alphabet and lyric or poem

Check out Artsonia too. Lots of great student work.

Hello from So. Cal.
                        Loobyteacher aka Colleen

http://www.colleensparlin.com/

ArtsyFellow

Thank you all for the replies. Obviously haven’t checked in here for too long. I like your curriculum loobyteacher, and am going to use it as base. My kids are at the end of their semester now. The most difficult part was that we meet only 2 hours a month. Definitely not enough time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.