Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cherryorchard

Hi guys I am new to posting here. I have been doing art in my (limited) spare time for 2 years. I feel compelled to create SOMETHING. Usually I enjoy the creative process but after taking a few months off to focus on other things, I am feeling discouraged and slightly embarrassed by my work. I hope to get a better idea of where to go from here, how to improve. Thanks so much for any feedback.
        Cheers.

Cherryorchard

I’m sorry about the black square in my post above. I don’t know what happened with the upload- but by the time I realised the one hour editing period was finished. Oops.

Cyndi L

Welcome to the MM forum of WetCanvas! I don’t see any black square, so it may just be a localized problem :)

Also, I don’t see any reason for you to be embarrassed by your work. What are the different media you’re using? Are they on watercolor paper? I’m quite fond of the one at the top…you’ve captured the look of glass in the smaller vase quite well without having to be slavishly realistic about it. Please tell us more about yourself and what you’re looking to do in your art!

Cherryorchard

Thanks for your reply Cyndi L. My works are on WC paper, with Copic fineliners on top. I have occasionally experimented with acrylics, gauche and Copic markers too.
                    I have attached a link to a page of my Pinterest which has my inspirations for where I would like to go with my art… I guess I would almost call it illustration but not quite! There’s a semi-abstract, surreal feeling to most of the pieces I admire.
                    https://www.pinterest.ca/jsmith0393/art-direction-oct-2017-2018/

Thanks again!

Cyndi L

That’s funny…I did a small series a couples of years ago that had kind of an illustration feel to them, but they were also somewhat cubist. I used Inktense pencils and black Pitt pens on watercolor paper. I like pieces like your top two that play around with form and color somewhat. They have a warm feeling to them that draws me in.

Cherryorchard

Inktense pencils and Pitt Pens sounds very interesting. Mixed media has so many possibilities!! Do you think the first two look watmer and more finished because they have a background? I was also thinking the colour choices in the third one are too jarring/retro/bold maybe…..
                            Thanks for your insightful comments.

Eraethil

Let me echo that you’re doing really well two years in and should be proud of your work. Of the three you posted, the first seems to me to be the most interesting. I enjoyed your inspirations as well.

I have a couple of good friends in my area whose work you might really enjoy: Jenny Keith[/URL] and Cindy Revell[/URL]

One thing I thought while looking at your work was that I couldn’t tell whether your focus was on representation or on interpretation – perhaps it walks a path down the middle. So, I’d suggest you consider how realistic you want the work to be.

If you lean toward the realistic, then put some extra effort into accuracy, which for you is already good. If you lean toward the abstract, then put some extra effort into playing with stylistic choices. Perhaps be willing to set aside one for the other in each work to give your pieces more impact?

It’s a journey, enjoy it. Glad you’ve joined us here!

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Cherryorchard

Ereathil: thanks so much for your response. Both the artists you mentioned are brilliant, but I especially liked Jenny’s work, stylistically I would love to paint/draw in a similar way. It’s good to have dreams right? Lol.
                                    Thanks for your tip about trying to concentrate on realistic vs abstracted, rather than walking down the middle. I will take that on board with my next few quick sketch paintings.
                                    Thanks again!

Sonia

Certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. Just keep playing and practising as frequently as you can, even if only for short time slots – it is so easy to feel like you have to learn all over again if you take a long break from creating.

Cherryorchard

Thanks Sonia for the good advice. I am challenging myself to do a “30 paintings in 30 days”. Obviously they will be quick and simple ones but I hope it builds my confidence a bit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.