Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics February 2018 Different Strokes Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Margaretta

WELCOME TO THE February 2018 DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show….php?t=1302516

Please read carefully the guidelines below.

GUIDELINES:
        On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) or an idea or subject will be posted in a thread entitled “Different Strokes”.

All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics – any type of acrylic.

Join in the discussion about the project – it’s friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!

Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere – the RIL e.g.

A ‘reveal’ date for all is 21st of the month – that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.

**PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.** Much more exciting and fun to see what ‘masterpieces’ appear! If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single ‘reveal’ date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations …… that’s the whole point of it being called ‘Different Strokes’!

By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge – just don’t post images!!!

This month’s challenge is:
        PAINTING CREATIVELY WITH VEGETABLES

Look at the painting by [FONT=”Tahoma]Guiseppe Arcimboldo[/FONT] who used vegetables creatively, fruits too!

But here are some vegetables from my kitchen …not arranged creatively! I wonder what you have lurking there and waiting to be painted?

Have a happy, healthy month and I look forward to seeing the results from the 21st!

Through striving, to the stars.:confused:

Aah, what an intriguing idea. I will have to see what is at the grocer’s.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Old_hobbyest

Great challenge Margaretta. You did say vegetables yet you showed bananas and oranges and a lime which are fruit. Joey Archimbaldo used fruit as well.

Sooooo are fruit to be considered as faux veggies for this month? And what about tomatoes? US supreme court in 1893 declared tomatoes as a veggie but biologically it is a fruit. But the “tree” on which it grows is not a tree but an herb (or is it “a herb?”)

And what about coconuts and macadamia nuts?

talisman

Interesting, I’ll have to think on this.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                C and C always welcome.
                My DeviantArt Gallery

Margaretta

Yes you may have your nuts too, OH!:) Tomato is a fruit despite the other classification. A sort of hermaphrodite of the plant world I suppose? :lol:
                    I just photographed what I had available on that snowy day. Everything stops in the UK in the snow so I didn’t go shopping but I’ll bet there will be some exotic stuff in all your homes, fruit and veggies.:wave:
                    Do be careful where you put your pumpkins OH; I’m still recovering from your Hallowe’en painting!

Mayfly

Hi,

Great challenge and thanks for hosting. So painting vegetables with a vegetable….Cool. Going to work on taping a few various leafy types together and see what sort of brush strokes we come up with…..fun.:smug:

Carl

Wording is important lol. I know, I struggle with words all the time. But lets try to clarify here. Painting creatively with vegetables sounds like you want us to do some potato stamping and stuff like that.

The rest of the description sounds more like you want us to paint pictures with vegetable, and fruits, in a creative way. Then maybe the title should have been “Painting fruits and vegetables creatively”. Or something like that.

Either way, interesting idea. You’re really going to make us think this month.

I guess technically every vegetable is really something else… fruit, seeds, roots, leaves, etc. To me a fruit is sweet, so I call a tomato a vegetable.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                        Every painting is a new adventure.

bluefish

Garlic…..lots of cloves of garlic!……:clap:

A fun challenge!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Old_hobbyest

Do be careful where you put your pumpkins OH; I’m still recovering from your Hallowe’en painting!

Hey Margaretta, great idea! I’ll merge the lady and the pumpkin!

How about Andy Worhol’s painting of a Campbell soup can with his image in its center? Does this qualify? After all, a nut and some fruit!

Margaretta

Lavenderfrost: I think you can interpret in your individual style as long as it’s acrylics, vegetables and/or/ with/ without fruit or nuts.:) The creativity and fun is the key!:)
                                    Old Hobbyist: I have no words:o … and as for Woody…..:eek:
                                    I’d love to see Mayfly flicking soggy leaves:lol:
                                    Talisman, don’t sit near Bluefish while you are cogitating; he will be very smelly with all that garlic!:clear:

Intriguing challenge Margaretta.
                                    Do you remember the tv advert, within the last couple of years, where the ‘landscape’background was made from food …. broccoli trees, bread hills etc? ….. one of the supermarkets adverts …… so there are some ideas to get Jim and Woody away from the exotic ladies!!!!!
                                    I look forward to seeing what Carl uses for his brush ….. sweetcorn silks?

Ah well, I’ll start my shopping list!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Margaretta

Yes, Maureen, now you’ve reminded me of those landscapes. :) Doubtless OH and Woody would find ways to fit their exotic ladies into vegetative backgrounds.:rolleyes: :cat:

bluefish

Woodie went shopping for ‘two walnuts and a watermelon’ and OH was eyeing ‘three cantaloups’…..:lol: :evil: :rolleyes:

WoodyWelch

Intriguing challenge Margaretta.
                                                Do you remember the tv advert, within the last couple of years, where the ‘landscape’background was made from food …. broccoli trees, bread hills etc? ….. one of the supermarkets adverts …… so there are some ideas to get Jim and Woody away from the exotic ladies!!!!!
                                                I look forward to seeing what Carl uses for his brush ….. sweetcorn silks?

Ah well, I’ll start my shopping list!

HEY!!!! Remember the slang for pretty girls back in the forties and fifties….the called ’em TOMATOES!!!!:cool: :lol:

Anyway we’ve all eaten vegetables….maybe it’s time the vegetables started eating YOU!!!!:eek:

I’ll have to think on this:rolleyes:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 236 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.