Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting La Donna Velata – WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    dcorc

I’m in love with a 500 year old woman!

As soon as I saw her surprise appearance in this month’s MOM, I knew – I just had to paint her! (thanks, Richard, for introducing us!)

16 x 12 in acrylic gessoed board, my usual alkyds – scrubbed in a pale wash of titanium white, ivory black and burnt umber + mineral spirits, roughed out and shaded a first layer with a darker version of the same mix. So everything’s a couple of lovely shades of mud at the moment!

Dave

artbabe21

Excellent start, Dave! You just rock lately Mr.Cool!! Please tell us more about this laison…who is she? :angel:

Cathleen~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~

Biki

Nice to read you like the older women Mr Cool.
                There’s hope for me yet. ;)

Great start Dave, I know you are going to knock our socks off with this. :D

Pulling up a chair, but not holding my breath just yet. :)

"Art is an act of love in likeness of itself - Spirit moulding matter into lovely form:"

"His act in us for Him."

Francis Brabazon - Australian Poet.

sasaman

Hi,

I will wait your steps with impatience. In another thread I asked suggestions for drapery. This subject has a very complex drapery, so I hope you can tell us in very detail how you will solve this subject matter.

Thanks in advance
                    Bye

Dave

I’m telling you now…..it will end in tears!!! ;) :)

loop

As soon as I saw her surprise appearance in this month’s MOM, I knew – I just had to paint her! Dave

good going Dave, when I saw her show up I thought…why aren’t we painting that picture, we can now all live vicariously through you…this time :)

my BLOG
                        "Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great" - John D. Rockefeller
                        "even when you win the rat race you're still a rat" - Joan Collins

WV.Artistry

you’re welcome.

and thank you for posting the “basil chick” in the classical forum.

keep us posted with your palet on updates.

Richard

dcorc

I will wait your steps with impatience. In another thread I asked suggestions for drapery. This subject has a very complex drapery, so I hope you can tell us in very detail how you will solve this subject matter.

There are lots of ways one could approach this – what I’m intending to do here is to work up a tonal underpainting in greys and browns (and I might throw in a bit of green too if I feel like it!) to establish brightness values first, by painting several layers to refine and correct, and work from the current rough block-in towards increasing detail.

Personally I find this more fun than doing a detailed drawing stage (or rather I’m using this as my drawing stage, but doing it in paint). I’m doing this in alkyds, which are fast-drying (but live in cold damp old London, which means even the alkyds take a while) so will do a layer each day if “real life” allows the time :)

Dave

dcorc

For the impatient sasaman :)

Here’s my second stage (about 15 mins work in this stage) – the initial painting is now dry, so I’m going over brighter areas with a thin coat of titanium white (only, no other colour used here) – straight out the tube, no medium, applied with a 3/8″ synthetic flat brush – to start to pick out brighter areas of drapery and skin – I’m only interested in brightening things a bit with this pass, and in establishing general shapes – what’s most important to me, thoughout, is keeping a physically flat surface, not building up any ridges of paint.

more to come a little later…

Dave

dcorc

A quick layer of burnt sienna + french ultramarine, to start building some of the gorgeous chocolatey-blacks we see in the original.

Overall effect at the moment is still mud-pies, but there’s much more to come, yet!

Dave

artmom

I’m here for the duration! :)

Lyn

Carey Griffel

Dave,

Thanks for this wip…I’m excited to see how it develops! I think that, already, you’re getting that fabric to look like fabric with it’s satiny texture. :) And I, too, think that this is a lovely painting.

~!Carey

* Zaney Zebras (blog) * facebook art page * facebook floral design page * Recipe Blog *
                                                "...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau

Grasshopper

I’m also here for the duration and very much look forward to wordy explanations (major hint).

Slowly getting there ….hope it wont take another 500 years :)

Rosic

She doesn’t look a day over 400… but you’re making her look younger with every stroke. Great WIP Dave!
                                                        Bern

"I'm traveling 33 1/3 RPM's in an IPOD world..."
                                                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘La Donna Velata – WIP’ is closed to new replies.